PDA

View Full Version : Rear window drop fix?

Jay-ZS+
12-09-09, 08:32 PM
A common problem on the zs is that the rear windows seem to drop slightly not very often but have never heard of a fix apart from Jakes suggestion of glue! lol just wondered if there is a less permanent fix?

Paul ZS120
12-09-09, 08:36 PM
Change them to electric as it's the crap mechanism in the winding ones that slips I think. Mine drop about a cm a week it drives me mad

Jay-ZS+
12-09-09, 08:40 PM
Cant be bothered with the leccy conv no-one ever sits in the back and hopefully loosing the back seats fairly soon

Paul ZS120
12-09-09, 08:46 PM
Then what's the problem with the glue idea. It cheap and easy andif they not used anyway why does it have to be a less permanent fix?

michaelb
13-09-09, 08:38 AM
alter the winders so that they point up rather than down when the window is fully up.

thats what i did with mine and it seems to have done the trick.

this seems to happen with all 25/45/ZR/ZS as i had my 25 into the dealer to get it fixed although i'm not sure what they did.

stamford
13-09-09, 09:07 AM
What about a piece of thin 'U' shaped trim that covers an edge of the glass and then wedges itself in the top of the doors window seal when closed firm?

Zippy Saloon
13-09-09, 10:27 AM
Put winders on so they are horizontal (can't remember whether they have to point forwards or backwards), needs to be so the weight of the winders is trying to close window - cured it on mine.

Found pic - winders need to point backwards on both doors.

Jay-ZS+
13-09-09, 10:27 AM
Nice that sounds easy :)

SticklesMickles
13-09-09, 01:15 PM
Hmm, what years got electric rear windows?

As mine has them (53 plate) and i thought they all had them!

starfire039
13-09-09, 01:39 PM
it's an optional extra.

Phate
13-09-09, 02:58 PM
I don't remember suggesting glue lol :p

sc9ar
13-09-09, 04:17 PM
you simply remove the handles and replace them so that the gravitational effect of them (i.e pushing them towards the floor) will wind them up, not down. it would take about 30 seconds to adjust each side

Paul ZS120
13-09-09, 08:10 PM
Stupid question but do the handles just yank off? I would rather put up with it dropping than trying to source two handles as I snapped them off using force with no skill

Jay-ZS+
13-09-09, 08:23 PM
Will have a look tomorrow will either have a little metal clip or grub screw i would have thought :)

sc9ar
13-09-09, 08:38 PM
you pull the handle out, between the handle and the chrome surround is a little metal u clip that needs to be pulled out by a screwdriver, its a little fiddly if you've never done one, dead simple if you've done it before.

Paul ZS120
13-09-09, 09:53 PM
cheers will switch mine tomorrow

Ritchy
13-09-09, 10:05 PM
you pull the handle out, between the handle and the chrome surround is a little metal u clip that needs to be pulled out by a screwdriver, its a little fiddly if you've never done one, dead simple if you've done it before.

ive got a special thing for taking them off:D decent set of trim tools is a good investment

Jay-ZS+
13-09-09, 10:09 PM
ive got a special thing for taking them off:D decent set of trim tools is a good investment

Yer Ive got a crowbar works well :cowboy::horse::sleep::laugh::laugh::joker:

stamford
14-09-09, 07:30 AM
A change of handle position will make no difference as the handle is not weighted enough to create the desired effect. They are only plastic and very light. Sounds more like the top channel is not gripping the glass when closed shut.

arwilson80
14-09-09, 08:32 AM
Never noticed this on the ZS. ZR always did it though...

StragglaSteve
14-09-09, 09:31 AM
Thought about taking the mechanism and glass out and replacing with one of those light weight plastic windows?

would save you a small bit of weight!

Zippy Saloon
14-09-09, 11:36 AM
A change of handle position will make no difference as the handle is not weighted enough to create the desired effect. They are only plastic and very light. Sounds more like the top channel is not gripping the glass when closed shut.I can tell you with 100% certainty it does work, sorry to **** on your chips :)
Channel gripping glass is a load of BS mate - any idea how much it would have to grip it to work... Get hold of a similar weight of glass between your thumb and finger and see how tight you'd have to grip it to not drop it.
Its not so much the weight of the handle being enough to hold glass up, rather its not having the weight helping wind the glass down.

sc9ar
14-09-09, 03:58 PM
Thought about taking the mechanism and glass out and replacing with one of those light weight plastic windows?

would save you a small bit of weight!

waste of money, time and they look pathetic on road cars mate. just switch the handles round, will fix it, i can assure you.

Jay-ZS+
14-09-09, 04:01 PM
Cheers guys hopefully they will be polycarbonate eventually but not for a while yet :(

sc9ar
14-09-09, 04:05 PM
I can tell you with 100% certainty it does work, sorry to **** on your chips :)
Channel gripping glass is a load of BS mate - any idea how much it would have to grip it to work... Get hold of a similar weight of glass between your thumb and finger and see how tight you'd have to grip it to not drop it.
Its not so much the weight of the handle being enough to hold glass up, rather its not having the weight helping wind the glass down.

+1 :thumbsup:

the handle in the downwards facing position is already pointing the right direction to be turned. the weight of the glass presses down on the assembly and creates a very slow but definite winding effect. if you switch the handle round you will offer an opposing force to prevent the winding caused by the windows gravitational effect by achieving equilibrium between the two :)

draw yourself up a little free body diagram with the forces in place and itll be much clearer.