PDA

View Full Version : My MG ZS Turbo....

Pages : [1] 2

carmadbaker
21-09-09, 06:41 PM
Okay guys and girls....its time to come clean.... I don't know whether any of you have twigged onto my "project" comments...
But as you may have already guessed i'm currently half way through my MG ZS TURBO project....
A bit of history
The plan originally was to buy an already turbo (T16) converted 1999 420 GSI.... it had a few parts on it which where worth alot of money and really made the car....then use the car as a track slag!
So in Jan' i parted with £500 and picked up my anthracite 420 GSI Turbo...SWEET! or not....on the way home it blew a core plug out and dumped its water out, overheated and stopped...opps!
The engine was due a rebuild anyway so i wasn't over worried....
Anyway as time passed i started stripping the 420 and started finding small swimming pools in the foot wells and boot....after hours of re-sealing lights, windows and doors....i found out the roof had rotted underneath the roof rack strips and hence was flooding my race car with water! doh!
This was the final straw and i stripped the car right back and scrapped it!

The next chapter
A red ZS V6 saloon became available, engine gone, suspension stripped, interior stripped and basically just a shell.... but nether-less a deal was struck and the shell was mine! woop woop!! :trampoline:
The ZS shell was going to be the new home for my T-series turbo lump after a complete re-build and beef up! :judge::pimp:
After days and weeks of work....the car currently stands as below:
-V6 wiring loom stripped from car (for sale!)
-Entire 420 wiring loom put in its place
-New red monaco seats
-New carpets
-Suspension assembled
-Interior 95% back together
-Engine stripped and being completely overhauled.

Fun bit!
So thats it so far....now the fun part...the TO DO list :D
-Bits to Order:
-Forged pistons
-Forged rods
-Gas flowed head
-DTA s60 ECU
-Heavy duty clutch
-660cc Injectors
-Standard engine rebuild parts!
-SPAX coilover suspension
-Up-rated head gasket and head bolts
-Larger turbo (undecided which!) possibly a Garret T23rs
-Tubular Manifolds with external wastegate
-Large front mount intercooler
-Possibly water injection system
-Lightened and balanced flywheel

I've already got piper fast road cams and vernier pulleys to go...:cylon:
The ECU im ordering has 2 selectable maps via a toggle switch (how cool is that!!) i.e economy and performance..... i'm such a kid.... stuff of my dreams though! ha ha!!

So thats currently where i stand with regards to the project :trampoline:
Im aiming for big figures, in an ideal world i would love 400bhp, but i would be more than happy with 300+bhp! (aim high shoot low!) (i know people are going to mention "uncontrollable on the road" "more than is actually EVER needed" but who cares.... i gotta 350bhp zed.....you don't! :tease: ha ha! no i do understand that it will be a complete pain the the backside to drive with that much power, hence the dual maps to bring the car down to a more manageable power level, but to have a Scooby slaying ROVER is a rover geeks dream! (like me :D)
I'll try get some pictures of it through the stages and post them up....
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0016.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0018.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0021.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0170.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0167.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0168.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0169.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0171.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/Photo0212.jpg

Ritchy
21-09-09, 06:49 PM
sounds great mate, see what Quaife have in the way of diff's for it that should sort it out, want some pics up though! see it through the stages

carmadbaker
21-09-09, 07:11 PM
while the box is out i am VERY tempted by a Quaife....might see how far the budget can stretch....

Ritchy
21-09-09, 07:23 PM
i like quaifew a lot, my dad uses them sometimes, they have a lot of time for thier customers as well, sending out callenders, and when i started my apprenticeship they sent me a load of stickers for my box:D great company

grimmy
21-09-09, 07:25 PM
looks like it's going to be a beast:happy2:

stamford
21-09-09, 07:26 PM
As if we hadn't twigged Dan ;) Looking forward to the updates and progress. The shell looks familiar :D

fastmike
21-09-09, 07:30 PM
I always thought the T16 was made for the ZS... I,l keep an eye on this project ... Let me know when its ready to test..... I have a 310 BHP Scooby ready and waiting lol

carmadbaker
21-09-09, 08:04 PM
I always thought the T16 was made for the ZS...
Could not agree more! lovely engine and soooo tunable! crazy bosses at Rover strike again!
I,l keep an eye on this project ... Let me know when its ready to test..... I have a 310 BHP Scooby ready and waiting lol
ha ha that sounds like fun!! be a perfect test!! its a deal winner buys the cokes! ha ha!:pepsi:

mattie007
21-09-09, 08:04 PM
Looking good!
Is the red one just parked on a load of bits and bobs!? :smile2:

carmadbaker
21-09-09, 08:28 PM
lol! it looks like that doesn't it ha ha!!

Dave ZS-X
21-09-09, 08:37 PM
brilliant mate, that will be awesome.

Dave

carmadbaker
21-09-09, 08:41 PM
brilliant mate, that will be awesome.

Dave

Cheers dude :) we'll see how it turns out!:happy2:

Dave ZS-X
21-09-09, 09:16 PM
deffo try and get an lsd in there.
im looking at the best way to up the power of mine atm tbh, doesnt need it but its just such a thrill when you plant the throttle, its addictive and you just want more !
i can get another 50 horses from a new intake manifold, new turbo manifold and a re map on my existing turbo without raising boost....or do i just go the whole hog, like totally mental all out loony tunes power, i dunno ,lol.

Dave

Southside_ZS
21-09-09, 09:27 PM
I think the only reason MG-R dropped the T-series was because they couldnt get it to meet the new emission regulations.

Looks like its going to be a beast though matey.

Jay-ZS+
21-09-09, 09:29 PM
Im very jealous! Going to be very special,
Although talk about sweeping the mess under the carpet looks like youve swept the workshop floor under your car! lol

Ritchy
21-09-09, 09:34 PM
lol!

carmadbaker
21-09-09, 10:30 PM
ha ha!! not a clean person as you can see :-) lol

Go the whole hog dave....squeeze every last drop of bhp out of it, i can't wait to feel that sort of power under my right foot again.
Its got a torsen type b LSD but im thinking quaife.....

Ritchy
21-09-09, 10:38 PM
quaife o yes:p

mattchew100
22-09-09, 09:21 AM
my zr is now runing circa 300bhp+ and i have no trouble getting the power done so youll be fine matey :D

carmadbaker
22-09-09, 04:46 PM
from the horses mouth :)
sweet thanks mate!! :D

carmadbaker
20-10-09, 08:49 PM
just a little update....
Ordered the oversized forged pistons, rods, head gasket, and head studs today, should be here in a few weeks!
Next step is to order the gas flowed head, ECU, clutch, injectors and a few other bits i've probably forgotten! :D on its way now!! woop woop!! :D :D :D

Ritchy
20-10-09, 08:58 PM
whats a gas flowed head, i heard but dunno what that is

Maxfly
21-10-09, 09:58 AM
whats a gas flowed head, i heard but dunno what that is

i believe it's when the innards of the head are smoothed/opened out etc to improve gas flow:)

Jay-ZS+
21-10-09, 10:02 AM
Yer believe its much the same as ported and polished head but not sure whats the difference between a ported head and a gas flowed head is

Maxfly
21-10-09, 10:26 AM
i think air is pumped round the head and measured to see what it rates at - think this is the 'gas flowing bit' :)

Marky Mark
21-10-09, 12:13 PM
just a little update....
Ordered the oversized forged pistons, rods, head gasket, and head studs today, should be here in a few weeks!
Next step is to order the gas flowed head, ECU, clutch, injectors and a few other bits i've probably forgotten! :D on its way now!! woop woop!! :D :D :D

Oh man, its going to be a monster!!!! Lol :super:

carmadbaker
22-10-09, 11:58 PM
just another little update.....
Finished off my gauge holders a few days back, its a bit different but i do like it! at the moment its displaying boost and oil pressure :) the backlight is red so that looks pretty smart too!
Don't know about the colour yet.....im going to see what its like in the car when its back together properly!
Looks pretty cool in my opinion though :)
What do you guys recon?
All the hard work was done mostly by RTSprint and Wilko, i just finished it and took the glory :)

wilko66
23-10-09, 12:36 AM
looks good dude, not sure on the silk sheets though:yikes:

Jay-ZS+
23-10-09, 08:48 AM
looks good dude, not sure on the silk sheets though:yikes:

Was going to say exactly the same :clap:
Looks really smart how was the red bit made looks almost vacume molded!

Andy25
25-10-09, 08:46 PM
Seems like a great project although it seems your going round the houses a little for the wiring lol.

Ritchy
25-10-09, 08:57 PM
thats a job sooner or later for me is getting another k series, complete rebuild n porting and polishin the head to match an alloy manifold

carmadbaker
04-11-09, 07:06 PM
Seems like a great project although it seems your going round the houses a little for the wiring lol.

lol tell me about it! complete nightmare! by trade im an electrician so you expect better! however...being a sparky...i know the trouble with messing around with lots of cables and cutting into them etc...one dry solder could mess up the whole project....so i thought seen as both cars were stripped out anyway...just to swap the entire loom....its a proven workin loom in my old 400....still a pain in the a55 tho!! ha ha!!
I'll be contacting you guys soon for tubular s14 manifolds by the way ;)

carmadbaker
04-11-09, 07:16 PM
well today MORE parts were purchased and my bank account emptied further! Doh!:oops::sad:
I've got the gas flowed head, SPAX RSX coilovers on order, and sunday i pick up a Garrett GT3071R Turbo charger, hell yeah:punk::mml:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT30/GT3071R.htm
After speaking to a few guys on Rovertech....their cars with similar specs have easily pulled between 360 and 440 bhp!!:crazy::hump:
Never going to need that much power EVER and it'll be ridiculous to drive...but hey....:mml:
We shall see......

Jay-ZS+
04-11-09, 07:37 PM
wow that will be some serious power! bet that will be fun!!

carmadbaker
04-11-09, 07:45 PM
wow that will be some serious power! bet that will be fun!!

Fun....DEFINITELY!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:
Dangerous..... DEFINITELY!! :hang::hang::hang::hang:
ha ha!!:clown:

Jay-ZS+
04-11-09, 07:47 PM
you will have something to rival daves reyland conversion with that kinnda power! How does the zs handle with the Tseries lump in much the same as the v6 I assume?

carmadbaker
04-11-09, 08:03 PM
300bhp+ was always destined for the zeds! we are giving them what the chassis deserves :D
The handling i think will be compromised with the stupid amount of torque steer and the fact as soon as the turbo starts singing i'll probably be fighting HUGE amounts of wheel spin, it definitely won't be as smooth as the V6, and certainly won't sound as nice ;)
The late 400's deal with the t-series very well, EMS Ralphs blue one and my old black one are/were pretty good! But they have half the power i'm hoping for... we shall see in the ever nearing future! ;)

afcbadam
04-11-09, 08:41 PM
alot of astra owners run the GT30. always giving good results.

a few are running the GT35 and are running over 500 bhp.

we need more pics

lewerty
04-11-09, 08:43 PM
only just seen this thread nice 1 :) i do hope ur getting a dif with all that power i struggle sometimes with mine

carmadbaker
04-11-09, 08:52 PM
only just seen this thread nice 1 :) i do hope ur getting a dif with all that power i struggle sometimes with mine

Its got the standard Torsen type B fitted... but to be honest i know it won't be man enough :( so im slowly piecing together a diesel GB hopefully with a Quaife. WHEN my current GB implodes i'll be ready ;) hopefully...:unsure:

alot of astra owners run the GT30. always giving good results.

a few are running the GT35 and are running over 500 bhp.

we need more pics

thats some big figures! they recon the 3071 is good for 460bhp which should just about do me fine.........for now :evil:
Any of your guys use an external wastegate setup?
And i'll get some pics up as soon as i take em :)

afcbadam
04-11-09, 09:56 PM
yes most are using an external wastegaste with a huge manifold ( usually custom made)

here's an GSi running the GT30. http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=225252 might gve you some ideas on the manifold and external wastegate setup

the GT35 is rated to 770bhp! mad. There is a guy with a 500 bhp zafira gsi running the GT35, it generates so much heat he is having to run 2 massive radiators and no thermostats. The temp gauge goes from stone cold to hot just blipping the throttle.

carmadbaker
04-11-09, 10:15 PM
nice thread! lots of money spent there....i like the idea of the wastegate straight onto the mani's, but im not sure there is enough room or that kind of manifold available for the t-series...might see what my good friend "the welder" can do at work ;)

afcbadam
04-11-09, 10:20 PM
yea on a zs there isnt much room. Tbh you dont need to spend much on these astras as the standard internals are rated to 320 bhp. god id love power like that lol

Maxxed_Ross
05-11-09, 06:28 AM
I was running a 28R in ASBO and it was a fantastic turbo, I couldn't get over how quickly it spooled up!

carmadbaker
05-11-09, 06:49 AM
they say the 3071r has got a fairly quick spool time for its size, is the 28r the same as the pulsar and 200sx turbo?

Tony10
05-11-09, 09:46 AM
Nice thread on the ZS looking forward o seeing more progress. Nice astra thread too. :smile2: However a true rover built car will bemuch better. Cant wait ti see a 300bhp mgzs.

Dave ZS-X
05-11-09, 04:50 PM
wooohooo fantastic i cant wait to see some pics.!!

Sensible head on now......with 301 bhp and 340 and weighing 1005 kilos mine is silly quick, it out paces all sorts of exotica, however imo it could handle another 50 bhp as it stands and retain its composure. Mine has most parts modiified however, i dunno what spec yours will be but imo a good idea could be variable boost control because for a road zs at full weight 350 bhp will be pant dirtyingly scarey every time you plant the throttle (and you will need some good supporting mods to keep it all under control), then when conditions allow you can ramp up the boost and go super pursuit mode,lol.
i cant imagine what 450-500 will feel like, mine spins 3rd up in the dry ....it will be just incredible, good luck and keep us posted.

afcbadam
05-11-09, 09:45 PM
the zafira on there that has 500bhp iirc runs a 0-100mph in about 8.5 seconds and has a recorded top speed of over 180 mph! Although the owner often has problems putting that power down

now thats one bus i wouldnt mind been dropped of to school in!

carmadbaker
10-11-09, 06:43 PM
Few pics for people!
First one:
Here's the heart of the whole operation....its a Garret GT3071R capable of between 300 and 460bhp! (hell yea! :boxing:)

Brought it second hand (HUGE risk i know!) but i can see its virtually unused and from initial playing it seems perfectly fine.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0007.jpg

Second one:
Heres my brand new Spax RSX537 coilovers, got them for £528 from Silverstone Tuning (<VERY VERY good!!) with free delivery, bloody bargain in my opinion!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0013.jpg

Can't wait to get them fitted up!

fastmike
10-11-09, 06:50 PM
the biggest problem you,l have is keeping that right foot out of the carpet...... I,m seriously thinking of selling the scoob before my license goes in the shredder . last week I fitted a larger turbo , the temptation to ahnilate all and sundry is more than I can control lol:axe:

Dave ZS-X
10-11-09, 07:42 PM
what turbo did you fit?

Dave

fastmike
11-11-09, 11:47 AM
its not that big compared to some..... a TDo5 18G.... but I,m running 2 bar of boost on 10% methenol.... makes an interesting drive Oh and a daughterboard in the ECU

carmadbaker
12-11-09, 05:53 PM
Any bigger and im sure the physical size will become a problem squeezing in around the gearbox housing and radiator, i like the easy life ;)

SticklesMickles
16-11-09, 04:54 PM
its not that big compared to some..... a TDo5 18G.... but I,m running 2 bar of boost on 10% methenol.... makes an interesting drive Oh and a daughterboard in the ECU

2bar on an 18g is a bit high mate!?!

I have the 18g flowchart on my PC at home so i can check later, but if i remember rightly that is to much boost for the 18g

I ran my ported and polished 16g at 1.65bar (midrange peak) on the ej257 block and while it went rather well with the midrange torque, (and minimal lag due to the larger engine) it did not last as long as i would have liked on the stock pistons :D

carmadbaker
16-11-09, 06:30 PM
well the car is back home now :) lots of evenings will be spent getting wet and cold to finish this project...i sure hope its worth it!!

carmadbaker
21-01-10, 06:03 PM
Well peeps about time for an update i guess!
So:

Suspension:
Well i fitted up the SPAX RSX to the zed, wasn't too much agro, took a couple of decent weekends amongst snow (ggrr) but its all sorted now, not dropped it much lower than standard but just enough :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0087.jpg

Brakes:
My ZS shell was brake-less when i bought it, decided to use 620ti calipers and brakes just to be different and see if they were ANY different to the ZS ones. Got some standard vented ZS disks all round, all new pads too.
Had to machine the 620ti brake caliper carriers to fit around the larger ZS disks, but wasn't to hard and they fit perfectly! Standard brake calipers on the rear.
Of course i gave them a lick of red paint and hey presto all done!
They strangely look larger than my standard ZS brakes...not sure if its just an illusion or whether they actually are!
To top it off i equipped it with goodridge braided lines.

Interior:
Well after a little hunting i finally found some red corbeau bucket seats to fit in place of my brand new standard ZS seats, had to build a subframe to fit them but they are slowly coming along! I'll take some pictures when they are fitted and you can let me know what you think.

Engine: (fun bit!) (pics to follow)
The engine went for a rebore and facing, its now officially a 2.1 t-series, had it matched to my 86mm Arias pistons. Obviously pistons, rods and bearings have all arrived so im just waiting for the head, gasket kit, clutch and gearbox bearings before it gets fully re-built and dropped into my zed!

Notes:
Had to buy an alloy 220 coupe rad (not cheap!) to suit my intercooler which takes the best possible route over the rad from the turbo then straight into the T/B.

I'll take loads more photos at the weekend, much more interesting to look at!
peace out!

fastmike
21-01-10, 06:09 PM
Now this is a great car in the making , a proper Rover/MG engine , non of that VAG crap , I cant wait for the pics and road test:mml:

peterzs
21-01-10, 06:14 PM
Well done Dan, must be dedicated to get out in the snow and work on it, what will the bhp when itsa up and running???? Be interesting when its on track.

:clap::clap::clap:

nath86
21-01-10, 06:40 PM
Wow is all i can say, id love to do all that to mine, iv had a 220 coupe turbo along with a 420 gsi turbo and 4 imprezas and to say with a little work to the t-series then it would be more than a match for an impreza, Keep up the good work and pics coming :thumbsup:

Jay-ZS+
21-01-10, 07:07 PM
Sounds like youve been very busy cant wait to see the pics! Gonna be quite a monster :D

stamford
21-01-10, 07:27 PM
Sounds good so far Dan, looking forward to seeing the final build.

starfire039
21-01-10, 08:05 PM
I beg you, come and say hello when this is done, this looks amazing dan you're such a nutter haha!

I bet there's going to be a lot of power and yeah you will probably find wheelspins galore... but give it time and you'll learn to control it and just not apply full throttle, you'll learn what gear at what speed it is appropriate to put pedal to the metal. If I see a red zed hacking it around Medway, I know who it is!

mattie007
21-01-10, 09:58 PM
Sounds epic! I want to turbo my K, but unsure atm.
Excuse the ignorance but what engine is it?

starfire039
22-01-10, 12:43 AM
T series

talkingcars
22-01-10, 06:44 AM
I bet there's going to be a lot of power and yeah you will probably find wheelspins galore... but give it time and you'll learn to control it and just not apply full throttle, you'll learn what gear at what speed it is appropriate to put pedal to the metal.............!

Sounds like my 180 on these greasey roads at the moment, I once got 50 out of my T16 maestro wheelspinning out of a turning, in 2nd! :sorry:

Excuse the ignorance but what engine is it?

The T16 turbo as seen in 1990's 220, 420, 620 ti and 820 vitesse.

carmadbaker
22-01-10, 07:02 AM
Well done Dan, must be dedicated to get out in the snow and work on it, what will the bhp when itsa up and running???? Be interesting when its on track.

:clap::clap::clap:

Cheerz for the nice comments chaps :D It will be done for the end of march, so i'll be looking for "running in miles" around then, gentle (pfft yer right!) road tests are more than welcome :D

The BHP question is complete unknown as yet.... technically with the right mapping and the combo of parts i've fitted it should easily see around the 350bhp.....deep down i want it to pull closer to 400bhp @1.8bar on the rollers....but that is jus totally un-driveable in a front wheel drive car, so it'll be running 1.2-1.3 bar day to day!
I'll snap up some pictures tomorrow and post them up :)

and yer mine is a t-series from a 620ti, 200bhp ish standard....so we shall see!......

Jay-ZS+
22-01-10, 10:11 AM
Looking at one powerful ZS then, Lot of work been put in to that :thumbsup: You are gonna be keeping tyre companies in buiness!! :laugh:

Marky Mark
22-01-10, 12:40 PM
Sounds mental Dan! lol You will have to take us for a spin mate when its complete!

What you been up too, tried getting hold of you on your mobile, but suppose you have just been too busy? :beer:

tinyszs
22-01-10, 10:59 PM
awesome thread mate . what sort of a job is it to fit a t series turbo lump to the zs ?

carmadbaker
23-01-10, 09:27 AM
awesome thread mate . what sort of a job is it to fit a t series turbo lump to the zs ?

uumm....without a garage and lotsa space its tricky....sadly i have neither lol
In an ideal world you need a 620ti, a Rover 420 GSI and your ZS...unless you can buy the 620ti engine and components separately but that can be costly...

I took the long way around and swapped over the 420 wiring loom into the ZS, was a bit of agro but i think it will be worth it. its a proven loom i know works so my theory is that it won't have any problems....:chair: (famous last words!)

But i think the conversion is totally worth it, and kinda fun...if i had my own garage i would deffinately be sorting out a conversion package for people by now. :D

Jay-ZS+
23-01-10, 09:56 AM
:morepics: :)

carmadbaker
23-01-10, 09:59 AM
patience patience! lol i'll snap some up when this bloody rain stops! ggrr!

Jay-ZS+
23-01-10, 10:03 AM
patience patience! lol i'll snap some up when this bloody rain stops! ggrr!

Get out there with an umbrella :laugh: Hope to see it in person at some point :D

carmadbaker
27-01-10, 05:23 PM
Okay here are a few pics for people, once my camera is charged i'll take some other ones i wanted to snap up :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0088.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0090.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0091.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0094.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0097.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0103.jpg

Ritchy
27-01-10, 05:29 PM
no the suspension goes under the car not in it:P its gonna be soo good once its done!

carmadbaker
27-01-10, 05:36 PM
Dam it!! that'll explain that loud knock ;) ha ha!
Spax all round baby :P

Ritchy
27-01-10, 05:46 PM
nice one:D wish i had money to blow on a set!

carmadbaker
16-02-10, 08:07 PM
Well seen as its too cold to actually go and do any work on the old girl.... i thought i would update my thread :) lol

so....
Below is a pic of the red bucket seat i bought and have now fitted :D there is a second one to go in, but spent so much time making a subframe for the first i have pushed that job to the bottom of the list! looks pretty smart and it REALLY hugs you tight, anybody any bigger than me will no fit into them...atall!
Complimented with a red 3 point racing harness of course :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0107.jpg

Once i took delivery of my bits i decided to have a little picture session and sort out.... so i dragged it all out from under my bed...and hey presto...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0110.jpg

I bet my mum and dad wish they had girls :)

Here's my PLX wideband AFR gauge, being that i've spent so much money on internals for this engine i thought it best to have a clever bit of kit monitoring the air fuel ratio as to not lean out my mixture too much.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0118.jpg

Here's my 38mm tial external wastegate, a strong form of boost control without the internal restrictions of the built in wastegate. they sound absolutely awesome, stupid loud! woop woop! would you expect any less? :box:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0117.jpg

And my gas flowed and ported head....i'll let the pictures do the talking :D

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0136.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0131.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0130.jpg

My 86mm Arias forged pistons!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0144.jpg

Here's the forged con rods for my lump.... stunning bits of kit, suprsingly light too!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0140.jpg

And finally here is it all built up ready for the head and dropping in my zed!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0190.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0189.jpg

:trampoline::trampoline::trampoline::trampoline::t rampoline::trampoline::trampoline::trampoline::tra mpoline::trampoline:

As you can probably guess the engine is being built as we speak and its getting ever closer to breathing into life in my zed! :guns:

And i am SOOOOO excited!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

peterzs
16-02-10, 08:19 PM
Certainly looks like everything is well engineered and to a great standard, not trying to beat your mate with the 400 bhp, are you???

Bet it will sound awesome on the track, with all the sucking and exhaust barking.

Warmer weather on its way so you can get out and under.

All the best with the build.

:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::bow::bow::clap2::clap2:

Simon's ZS-120
16-02-10, 08:27 PM
so where abouts do you live as im coming for that engine :)

carmadbaker
16-02-10, 08:33 PM
so where abouts do you live as im coming for that engine :)

lol its hidden in a top secret bunker far far under ground :shifty: lol

400bhp would be truly awesome in fairness..... amazing bragging rights....i would just be so worried about making the car to uncontrollable..... we shall see :P

fastmike
16-02-10, 08:37 PM
This is looking awesome:beer2:

Ritchy
16-02-10, 09:18 PM
looks really smart, mind to get that red paint off the top of the block:P your a man after my own heart i love doing all the painting up n making everything look great n shiney,im mr OCD

Tony10
17-02-10, 09:19 AM
well this looks amazng. I wish I had money to sped on cars to tis degree to create something uniuqe. I look forward to further updates on this project.

Well Done so far!

carmadbaker
21-02-10, 06:40 PM
Some more pic updates (i know you guys love them ;) )

Spent a few days and nights playing with my inlet manifold making it something a little special, the car itself will too basically standard.....the engine bay however needs to be something special ;) and of course professionally finished off by by amazing girlfriend! Steady hand needed!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0222.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0226.jpg

Heres my centre console all gauged up, oil pressure and AFR. Also modified the clock holder to suit my gizzmo boost controller and "scramble button:hump:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0231.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0233.jpg

Enjoy!

Ritchy
21-02-10, 06:43 PM
looks smart, fancied making gauges like loz machines? i like them!

peterzs
21-02-10, 07:15 PM
Like the manifold, best place to spray and do the mods, in the kitchen!!

:bow::bow::bow:

Ritchy
21-02-10, 07:24 PM
or the bedroom, n ma mums like ur not taking that exhaust up stairs, yeah i am! il just put some paper down

carmadbaker
18-03-10, 08:23 PM
Few more pic updates for people :) enjoy!

Block nearly built up! gas flowed head on and ready for the cambelt! all painted red!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0307.jpg

Lightened flywheel and head again :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0302.jpg

The trick to the whole project, Omex Series 600 ECU, should give me as much power as i need...for now ;)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0299.jpg

Built up Inlet Manifold with 660cc high impedance injectors!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0250.jpg

And a few update pics of the car and interior :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0291.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0289.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0282-1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0287.jpg

Jay-ZS+
18-03-10, 08:34 PM
This is going to be nuts!! :D

peterzs
18-03-10, 08:38 PM
Looking good Dan, also looks a lot of work.

Be fun if its ready for Brands, if we can fix a date in April.

:bow::bow::bow::evo::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maxxed_Ross
18-03-10, 08:38 PM
loving the progress this is making!

It's going to be a proper monster

stamford
18-03-10, 10:11 PM
Nice work Dan, will look forward to seeing this soon.

Rtsprint
21-03-10, 08:45 PM
Should have let me paint the red round the dials mate :p

Tony10
22-03-10, 12:38 PM
Very nice comming along nicely!

Marky Mark
22-03-10, 09:04 PM
Looking forward to a ride in your new beast mate, can pop over soon to see it in the flesh!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

starfire039
30-03-10, 12:33 AM
Hey Dan- I remember you asking about my mark 2 dash- do you still want it? I'm coming up to kent in about 3 weeks and can drop it round to you. If you want to keep the mark 1 that's coolio- just let me know so I can put it for sale on the forum, or if not ebay this mother!

carmadbaker
31-03-10, 06:43 PM
Hey Dan- I remember you asking about my mark 2 dash- do you still want it? I'm coming up to kent in about 3 weeks and can drop it round to you. If you want to keep the mark 1 that's coolio- just let me know so I can put it for sale on the forum, or if not ebay this mother!

i still wanty :D please! be brilliant if you could bring it with you dude!

carmadbaker
31-03-10, 06:48 PM
Bit of an update for people......

Engine is 96% built, i'll go grab some pictures soon and post them up. Looks totally awesome together!
Waiting for my last few bits to turn up...
Ordered some pretty large hardcore red magnecore leads.....2.8 bar capable spark plugs....500bhp capable air filter.......and an external trigger wheel kit! and im going to pick up my new Quaife LSD from the factory tomorrow!

ECU is in the car and ready to rumble, unfortunately i have to run the standard ECU until the 22nd of may when it goes for mapping :devil: really crank that power up!
It goes for its totally one off exhaust system this month too, tubular manifold and free flow exhaust system in 2.5" stainless! hell yeah!!

Snagging some electrical problems at the moment, mainly with the windscreen wipers but nothing i can't sort i'm sure ;)

I'll post some piccys soon!

Bit of an updated Spec list!:
-Entire 420 wiring

-New red corbeau bucket seats

-86mm Arias Forged pistons

-Re-bored block to suit pistons

-Pauter Forged rods

-Gas flowed/ported head

-Omex Series 600 ECU, 3 bar MAP sensor

-Custom one off wiring loom for aftermarket ECU, plug and play baby ;)

-Heavy duty clutch, organic 350ft/lb capabable

-660cc Injectors

-Piper 270 cams

-Vernier pulleys

-Standard engine rebuild parts! (shells, big ends, seals and gaskets)

-SPAX coilover suspension

-Klinger Up-rated head gasket and ARP head bolts

-Larger turbo, Garrett 3071r, 490bhp capable

-Custom built one off Tubular Manifolds with external wastegate (28th April)

-Custom Turbo back exhaust system 2.5" (28th April)

-Large front mount intercooler, pulsar modified.

-Lightened and balanced flywheel (6.9kg ish!)

-Magnecore leads

-NGK 2.8 bar capable plugs

-External trigger wheel setup

-99mm ITG filter, 500bhp capable

-New oil pump with oil cooler

-Steel caged gearbox

-Quaife ATB Limited slip differential

-Gizzmo Boost controller

-Tial External wastegate

-Complete hard boost pipe kit

-Low coolant level setup

-Intercooler spray setup

-Booked in @ AT Speed racing in Essex for a weeks worth of mapping and perfecting!

The amount of money i've spent on this project i could of bought a LOVELY Evo 6..... which at times has been tempting....but hey..... BUILT NOT BOUGHT!! ;)

R1CSO
31-03-10, 07:26 PM
i have the same air filter in my ZS..............but thats the only similarity lol

sounds the nuts mate, look forward to the pics

Jay-ZS+
31-03-10, 07:29 PM
Thats some spec list!! Cant wait to see this in the flesh :thumbsup:

peterzs
31-03-10, 07:37 PM
Sounds like it will be a mighty motor when its all up and running, I was just going to lash out and buy some new wiper blades!!!

Best of luck with the mapping, bet you can't wait to get out on track/road.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hooray::hooray:

p_b82
31-03-10, 10:01 PM
the 3 bar MAP sensor - is it anythin in particular - I am wanting one in order to pick up through scanguage\ecu the fact my boost is around 25PSI and the OE sensor only detects up to 23PSI or so as it is 2bar only..

(i also need to find out if the car will then sulk if a 3bar one is fitted lol)

stamford
31-03-10, 10:16 PM
How many ho's you got working then? :laugh:

carmadbaker
01-04-10, 05:08 PM
the 3 bar MAP sensor - is it anythin in particular - I am wanting one in order to pick up through scanguage\ecu the fact my boost is around 25PSI and the OE sensor only detects up to 23PSI or so as it is 2bar only..

(i also need to find out if the car will then sulk if a 3bar one is fitted lol)

I got it from Omex mate.... apparently its a Magneti Marelli spa05/01...... is what it says mate? its a 3 bar sensor, that will read to 2 bar? makes no sense i know lol
Are you running aftermarket ecu or standard scoob?

carmadbaker
01-04-10, 05:09 PM
How many ho's you got working then? :laugh:

its not quantity mate..... its quality ;) lol medway towns for you! ha ha!

And remember i've only got my penis to pay for! :strongbench:

p_b82
01-04-10, 05:25 PM
I got it from Omex mate.... apparently its a Magneti Marelli spa05/01...... is what it says mate? its a 3 bar sensor, that will read to 2 bar? makes no sense i know lol
Are you running aftermarket ecu or standard scoob?

that means that it will read to 2 bar ignore atmospheric...

I am running standard ECU, but the diesel one are much more 'open' than the petrols so we can probably tweak it somewhere, as it will be a boost limit i would have throught

So far tho it doesn't flag any issues when you go over the 23PSI it can 'see' itself so here is hoping....

Can you tell me where you got it from, save me searching :)

carmadbaker
01-04-10, 08:27 PM
Speak to a guy at omex technology called alan baker, I'm sure he can help in one way or another..... Really helpfull bloke!

p_b82
01-04-10, 09:39 PM
ok cool thanks :)

carmadbaker
14-04-10, 10:04 PM
Just to give a SMALL update..... The car is going tomorrow for its engine, REALLY excited. Kind of sudden realisation that i'm the owner of a stuuupid quick zed has just set in..... absolutely petrified! lol Got myself some new black and red leather cobra seats which look brilliant! Will certainly be spending the next few weekdays and weekends getting dirty and confused with wires, brakes and pipes!
wish me luck!

peterzs
14-04-10, 11:20 PM
Wish you luck Dan, sure it will all work out fine, bags a ride if we ever meet up in that Beefeater Pub, I'll be able to compare it to your mates 400 monster.

Still smiling when I think of that little trip!!!!

By the way I'm with you when you ask questions if your not sure, all you want is advice not some snotty watsit.

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Jay-ZS+
14-04-10, 11:51 PM
Good luck Dan getting there now,

Costs nought to be civil does it Pete :)

stamford
15-04-10, 08:25 AM
Indeed, life is about learning, we can't all be experts. We learn from our experiences whether good or bad.

Sounds like it will be some car Dan, looking forward to seeing this first hand sometime soon.

Maxxed_Ross
15-04-10, 09:21 AM
well if this all comes together I'll be asking you alot of questions over the coming months hehe

Good luck

carmadbaker
15-04-10, 03:00 PM
No problem mate :-) ask away!

carmadbaker
16-04-10, 09:05 AM
Well it's official! the engine has landed! I'll grab some pics as soon as possible and show it off :-) hopefully be back to my place very soon

carmadbaker
21-04-10, 09:59 AM
few pics for people, engine in, and my new leather buckets!! Enjoy!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/0b229300.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/d09cb1c1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/7fdec8c4.jpg

stamford
21-04-10, 10:18 AM
Looking sweet Dan. Not knowing the 4 pot that well, is that an engine to gearbox adaptor plate, or are they all like that? Or is this a different gearbox hence the plate? Just curious.

Jay-ZS+
21-04-10, 10:25 AM
Looking good so far mate, how long till it's running?
Liking the seats!

peterzs
21-04-10, 11:03 AM
Lot of work gone in there Dan, looking good.

:-D:-D:-D

carmadbaker
21-04-10, 11:19 AM
Yes Mick it's an adapter plate, big old lump too! It's a semi standard pg1 so I guess rover decided it was easier to put an adapter plate on instead of redesigning the box itself. Lazy lazy sods lol

looots of work gone into it so far, loooooads more to go sadly! But either the end of this weekend (or maybe next weekend!) I want to get her running!

The seats are great, totally worth their money!

stamford
21-04-10, 11:48 AM
Looking forward to seeing and hearing this sometime soon.

Ritchy
21-04-10, 06:18 PM
looking good! rather liking the painted black i have to say, good on you for taking the time to make it look brilliant

carmadbaker
20-05-10, 08:10 AM
Bit more of an update for people on how the project is coming along!
I deemed that the oil cooler behind the block is pretty much pointless, especially with the 620ti sump on the engine, however to make best of a bad situation i decided to move the cooler to right up front with the radiator and intercooler (not shown yet.)
It took a bit of messing around, but after i had the pipes and brackets made up it was easy, now not only does it look the nuts, but it should keep my high boosting engines oil at a decent level to aid with cooling. The take off's being straight off of the pump itself.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0114.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0113.jpg

Now for the REALLY cool part, i sent my car down to Kevin at Zero Exhausts, the guy is a legend and more helpfull than i thought anyone ever could be!
I've gone for larger tubular manifolds, external wastgate and free flowing downpipe straight to a 2.5" straight through system, 4"inwardly rolled tip out of the back. It certainly wasn't cheap but the results speak for themselves.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0132.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0134.jpg

Thats right he has literally moved my entire turbo position, (normally infront of the block behind the radiator)
I've never seen another rover manifold like this atall, ford do this alot in their racers but this sort of design has never been seen on a Rover (may be a very good reason!)
I've got a little bit of messing around to do with regards to piping, oil feeds, and guarding other components from heat soak and heat damage, but that of course isn't a problem with a piece of kit like ^^^ that causing it all.
Im sure people will have mixed reactions about the manifold, pipes to long, exhaust gas temp drops etc etc.... and i'll admit im having the same worries, the only way im going to know if there are any problems will be to try them, and let the rollers do the talking!

Sadly the head is coming back off tonight due to a leak, knocked the project back a bit....but what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

Maxfly
20-05-10, 08:19 AM
this is looking ******* brilliant!!! nice tidy looking job your doing of it too:)

mattie007
20-05-10, 12:08 PM
What a machine!

Jay-ZS+
20-05-10, 01:47 PM
That exhaust mani looks the buiness has he done the entire exhaust ? Bet you can't wait to fire it up!

carmadbaker
20-05-10, 02:50 PM
yup he built the entire lot, absolute legend of a bloke, so impressed with his work, cant wait to hear what she sounds like :evil:

will-w
20-05-10, 03:45 PM
Kevin is an absolute legend!

Did he show you the system he made for his 190 ZT-T? It's beautiful!! :)

petet16
20-05-10, 06:27 PM
I really like the way that moves the turbo, when you look at it it's amazing no one thought of it before, a really clever bit of thinking.

I dont bother running a oil cooler, but I'm only a bit over standard boost, and the car is mainly for road use, on a track car with high boost it's a good idea.

will-w
20-05-10, 06:30 PM
That is going to sound immense when it's started up, odd length mani pipes make some mean sounding cars! :)

stamford
21-05-10, 01:50 PM
Nice work, like you said wait until the fat lady sings!

carmadbaker
23-06-10, 06:53 PM
Update!
Heads back off after a little unforeseen problem at the moment, so while its apart i've been tinkering :)

Due to the charger being where it is (bit of a pain tbf!) i had to make a custom water system to pair up the pump, radiator, header, heater matrix and turbo.... no easy feat but i done it :) totally custom like the rest of the car!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0220.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0219.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0218.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0217.jpg

Sent my centre console and a few inserts for flocking (black!) hoping for those back soon, also fitted a mk2 dash! i'll get some pics when its all together :)

Bobdope2002
23-06-10, 08:43 PM
gonna be awesome when its together mate

Phate
23-06-10, 08:51 PM
Loving it mate :)

p_b82
23-06-10, 09:50 PM
looking good there... hope you continue to make good progress on it!

Phate
23-06-10, 09:50 PM
This makes me want to custom build a turbo for a KV6... :hmm:

stamford
23-06-10, 10:35 PM
No chance for the Kent meet then ;)

Maxxed_Ross
25-06-10, 08:18 PM
where are you getting the silicone pipes made up?

carmadbaker
26-06-10, 10:17 AM
Dude! I got me vent cheers! Bloody boss had it on his desk for 3 days! Pen15! I knocked them together myself bud, takes time and testicles to cut expensive pipes but once it's mapped..... Easy!

carmadbaker
11-08-10, 09:18 PM
Okay peeps bit more of an update for you :) Been a little while i've been waiting for piles of stuff!

So where to start... uummm... okay...

The interior

Well through my many sources i managed to get hold of a ZS MK2 dash, i love the round vents, and i knew it would compliment the round dials perfectly! I wanted to keep the mk1 centre console after all the work i have put into it.
I've decided to use the mk2 hazard light switch as an engine start instead :)
So after a morning of swapping more wiring over and fighting with 2 dashboards I finally got it in, best mod to date definitely!
After a little bit of umm'n and arrrr'n I decided to have a little try with the up and coming craze of flocking. I sent my centre console, heater controls surround, ash tray and the strip above the mk2 dash for flocking.
When I got them back I was so impressed, done a brilliant job and they look fantastic! Gives the interior some well deserved class :)
Finally I decided that the bland mk2 400 dials are totally ruining my interior! They look ancient, so I got in contact with a guy who custom makes dials to any spec you like (www.skewer.co.uk) .... after more decision making..... I settled on the Ferrari Enzo style dials :w00t: :wink: Fitted them up today and I think they look fantastic! Judge for yourself :) Share your thoughts....
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0179.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0335.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0259.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0275.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0269.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/DSC_0256.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0330.jpg

Brakes

After yet MORE decision making I thought it best that I consider a hardcore brake upgrade to deal with all the ponies i'm going to be trying to obtain, having a car that can slam up to 100mph like a porsche is fine, but i need it to handle and out handle anything it comes up against on and off the track, so I swallowed hard and ordered myself 330mm AP Racing 4 Pot Racing calipers, grooved disks and Ferrodo DS2500 pads with 5.1 racing fluid and braided hoses, all from Reylands.
Test fitted them tuesday waiting for the weekend to fit them properly :) here's a few pics! enjoy. Again opinions welcomed :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0317.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0320.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0319.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0322.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0321.jpg

Enjoy :) questions and comments welcomed :)

peterzs
11-08-10, 09:26 PM
Looking fantastic, see all that wiring training came in handy!!!

Will be awesome when its finished.

:smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

carmadbaker
11-08-10, 09:30 PM
see all that wiring training came in handy!!!
:smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

lol! all that experience, i should of known to pay someone else to do it :shoot2:
ha ha its not all that bad once you got your head around it!

Supercharged_Z
11-08-10, 09:36 PM
dribble brakes!!!

do you mind me asking how much they were?

carmadbaker
11-08-10, 09:42 PM
They were the best part of ?1600 mate :( uber expensive....but I could of majorly regretted not having the best brakes possible if the worst was to happen! All from Reylands mate

Supercharged_Z
11-08-10, 09:44 PM
oh you defo need best brakes and the options are not the greatest for us... the wilwoods would not be good enough for you at all, and the other options are either uber expesnive or not a lot....

good choice and look the part.. car looks brill

stamford
11-08-10, 10:16 PM
Oh that is nice! :D So the escort agency pays well then!

Flocking looks the biz, as for the brakes..........I'm getting a little moist......................:huh:

Ritchy
11-08-10, 10:28 PM
looks absolutely fantasic, whats the timescale for getting it all finnished now then:D

Jay-ZS+
11-08-10, 11:56 PM
F**king stunning :D Love it!!

Out of intrest any idea what the discs weigh in at? Those AP 4pots look sexual

nath86
12-08-10, 12:18 AM
2 words!!! "fooking amazing"!!! :king:

fastmike
12-08-10, 07:01 AM
F***ing awesome sir........ truley awesome

MG6Turbo
12-08-10, 09:12 AM
Looking good.. Love the new dials.

George

carmadbaker
19-09-10, 10:00 AM
Tad more of an update :)

I have now got my new gas flowed and ported head :) it arrived this week and is being fitted again tuesday! woop woop! After that i have some oil lines to get made up...then the crunch.... starting time again! Can't wait to hear that exhaust note for the first time...hhmmm... :P
Got myself a monogram steering wheel too which i think looks fantastic!
And i fitted myself some aerocatches too :) (they look the nuts but christ they are a pain to fit!!)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0381.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0398.jpg

Jay-ZS+
19-09-10, 10:07 AM
Fed up of updates with this...get it going and bring it to the southern Oct meet cant wait to see it!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::laugh:

Are those aero catches lockable, Im not too keen of catches on a road car if not secure. Going to look smart with the the red wheel and seats :D

Gazza
19-09-10, 10:33 AM
Looking awesome mate

peterzs
19-09-10, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=Jay-ZS+;171015]Fed up of updates with this...get it going and bring it to the southern Oct meet cant wait to see it!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::laugh:

+ 1 :clap::clap::clap::clap:

carmadbaker
19-09-10, 10:52 AM
Lol trust me im sick of stupid updates too lol hopefully running by end of next week! And fingers crossed it will be there for the oct meet :-) i think it will be! :-)

peterzs
19-09-10, 11:05 AM
Exciting time, first start up after a rebuild. Will it, wont it, and then that brmm, or in your case BRRRRRMMMMM.

Hope it all goes well.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ritchy
19-09-10, 04:08 PM
mmmm steering wheel, have one like that is the zr but because its got a yellow bonnet i feel like im driving noddys car haha, does look good but

carmadbaker
21-10-10, 08:47 PM
Well.... Another update :) lol :police:

Got my gas flowed and ported head back :) fitted it! and started puttin it all back together, exhaust, inlet, oil and water pipes. fans are fitted and working...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0430.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0435.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0428.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_0435.jpg

Finally sunday... she started! and runs! (badly!) but still it runs :) it has that scooby sound about it definitely! I'll lob the video up later :)
all thats left to do is sort boost pipin, tax, mot and insurance then the borin run in period :(

petet16
21-10-10, 08:59 PM
Looking really good.

Nice work mate

coreygraham180
21-10-10, 09:04 PM
Lookin really good mate

Jay-ZS+
21-10-10, 09:09 PM
Looks great, how long you gonna run it in for, and at what rev limit? Thats gonna be hard to keep your foot off the loud pedal!!! Fingerscrossed for sunday! :D

Smokey
21-10-10, 09:16 PM
Looks superb!!

carmadbaker
21-10-10, 10:06 PM
first 500 miles with no heavy clutch work and keeping below 3500rpm, then another 1000miles taking it round the rev range but slowly (i.e foot not planted ) lol oil and filter changes in the intervals :)

peterzs
21-10-10, 10:07 PM
Working by floodlight, now that is dedicated!!!

Looks awesome, well worth all the effort, late nights, etc..

:beer2::beer2:

Ritchy
21-10-10, 10:31 PM
that looks awesome, intercooler piping going to be interesting, love it but cant wait to see it all done n finnished

stamford
21-10-10, 10:35 PM
I hope it all goes smoothly for you, looks superb mate.

p_b82
22-10-10, 01:05 PM
looking like a very nice install there... hope to be able to see\hear it in the flesh soon; hint hint :D

carmadbaker
05-04-11, 06:50 PM
Well....
been a little while since i updated my project thread. And of course its on-going :)
well as most of you know... after spending an entire day getting it working perfectly.... some worthless piece of sh1te kid slid into the back of my turbo zed :(
The damage wasn't toooo bad, rear bumper was smashed, rear light cracked, both rear quarters damaged and a knocked bootlid.... instantly i thought... "WRITE OFF!" the car is 10 years old and virtually worthless as a 180 ZS. Lucky for me i declared everything so the 3rd party insurance had to take the mods into consideration... they saw all my receipts and deemed the car worthy of a repair :D so in the next few weeks its going for repair :D no write off!! yaaayy!! good news!!

While it was off the road, i've been getting more and more concerned about the amount of smoke pouring from the exhaust, after a bit of a nose around i found the turbo to be the cluprit, pouring oil down the exhaust. This is where i found my t28 was INFACT a GT28 turbo... worth alot more and capable of more too. Which for the record cant be rebuilt either :( luckily a kind soul gave me a t25 to try for now!
I put the failure down to a lack of cooling, where the turbo sits it does have problems getting a good coolant supply. So i bought myself a davies craig booster pump, new expansion tank, alloy bike radiator. Im going to plumb it together for a stand alone turbo cooling system :D totally separate to the engine cooling. Should offer a few advantages and no disadvantages except occupying space! I'll post some pics in time to come :)
More to come :)

peterzs
05-04-11, 08:55 PM
Bit of an up and downer Dan, glad the insurance are sorting the car and hope the new turbo and cooling system give you the omphhhhhhhhhh.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stamford
06-04-11, 09:47 AM
Good to hear it is being sorted, would have hated to see this being declared a write-off. I bet the insurance company were none too pleased once they received all the paperwork to back it up.

carmadbaker
06-04-11, 12:19 PM
Oooo no they werent best pleased! Hopefully the little scrots insurance will sky rocket :-D itchin for it back on the road!! Need to show some cocky m3's how us rover boys roll ;-)

Nats Whiskas
06-04-11, 01:57 PM
itchin for it back on the road!! Need to show some cocky m3's how us rover boys roll ;-)

LOL!! Rep'ed!!! :super:

Ritchy
28-04-11, 11:54 PM
brilliant news its getting fixed, think we all would have been gutted if it was to be wrote off, need pics when its freshly sprayed:)

Ritchy
19-06-11, 11:22 AM
updating?:D

starfire039
19-06-11, 02:39 PM
I saw it recently, it's been fixed, and is **** hot quick. I believe Dan is putting a bigger turbo on, and getting the NOS all sorted. I hate to think what it would be capable of with those mods!

carmadbaker
26-02-12, 07:51 PM
Little update for peeps:
I've been suffering with quite a bad smoking issue with the tubby recently, i've tried all sorts of things (new turbo's etc) but today i think i found the route of the problem :D my oil feed and drain being totally custom was completely wrong too! bearing in mind i've had some apparent turbo guru's look at this issue to no avail i'm pretty glad i may of solved it :) wrong angles and size, so a little of jiggery pokery and yet another turbo later i'm hoping to of fixed it :) once this damn smoking stops i can up the boost to 12-13psi and get some mileage on the old girl before whacking the big ponies and gas through her :)

peterzs
26-02-12, 08:18 PM
Hope you have sorted it, be good to see it again.

:wave::wave::wave:

stamford
26-02-12, 09:14 PM
Again? I'd like to see it fullstop! :laugh:

Ritchy
26-02-12, 09:35 PM
need more pics up of it

carmadbaker
27-02-12, 07:48 AM
I'll get some pics and as a big sorry you can have a drive mick :-) feel the force ;-) lol

stamford
27-02-12, 08:18 AM
I'll get some pics and as a big sorry you can have a drive mick :-) feel the force ;-) lol

:lovers: love you Dan!

peterzs
27-02-12, 11:33 AM
Here you are Ritchy, on a cold and frosty Bluewater car park.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/4-3.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/6-1.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/3-1.jpg

Dan was still working on it, so wasnt the finished article, but still sounded and went well.

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

stamford
27-02-12, 11:38 AM
A number plate to die for!

peterzs
27-02-12, 11:41 AM
Bet its worth a few bob..

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ThumpJunkie
27-02-12, 12:10 PM
This is ridiculous. Love it.

carmadbaker
19-03-12, 05:32 PM
kept you waiting long enough ;) stopped the smoking aswell now :) woop woop!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1267.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1266.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1268.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1265.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1269.jpg

BUCKYDEVIL
19-03-12, 05:39 PM
That's just Fantastic- I want-

petet16
19-03-12, 05:56 PM
Looking well tasty.

What's the expansion tank for in the front corner of the engine bay ?.

carmadbaker
19-03-12, 06:01 PM
Looking well tasty.

What's the expansion tank for in the front corner of the engine bay ?.

:whistle: turbo cooling system lol :smart:
being that the turbo is mounted so high cooling was becoming an issue, so it has a 75% total capacity bike radiator, 10L/min booster pump to keep on top of things ;) does a bloody good job of cooling the core

petet16
19-03-12, 06:08 PM
Yeah, good idea.

Ritchy
19-03-12, 06:58 PM
looks super duper:D

Quadcam24
19-03-12, 07:03 PM
looks nice build, whats engine / turbo spec and power?

carmadbaker
19-03-12, 07:20 PM
all on page 1 dude :)

Drew
19-03-12, 08:34 PM
well not completely, has a list of things you want to order..

Drew

zsserbia
19-03-12, 08:49 PM
What a beast, great project!

I bumped into this a while ago, I thought it may come in handy

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/performance/arc/coolfin.php

or this http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HotWires/hotwires.php

or http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/performance/blitz/throttlecontroller.php

a lot of cool stuff, some quite expensive though :unsure:

Jay-ZS+
19-03-12, 09:04 PM
What a beast, great project!

I bumped into this a while ago, I thought it may come in handy

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/performance/arc/coolfin.php

or this http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HotWires/hotwires.php

or http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/performance/blitz/throttlecontroller.php

a lot of cool stuff, some quite expensive though :unsure:

Want to be alittle be careful fitted spark plugs like that, Know that on some bikes the iridium plugs that give a higher intensity of spark can cause running issues as you have to advance the timing slightly

carmadbaker
20-03-12, 07:17 AM
Epic find thanks bud! I have actually got some aero grade titanium sheet im using as a heat shield at some points ;) thats frigging cool right?! :thumbsup:
Ok ok im sorry i'll get an up to date list :( to be honest its all been bought except the driveshafts, all sat under my bed awaiting the engine to be run in properly

carmadbaker
20-03-12, 08:00 AM
Spec as it stands follows...(definitely forgotten some bits)

Engine:
-Rover 620ti wasted spark
-Forged 86mm oversized 86mm Arias pistons
-Pauter forged rods ARP shell bolts
-Gas flowed and ported head
-Klinger head gasket kit
-ARP head stud kit
-Piper 270 camshafts
-Piper vernier pulleys
-Lightened and balanced flywheel
-Complete rebuild with shells bearings and seals all around
-Garrett T25
-Pulsar FMIC and custom boost piping
-Front mount oil cooler
-Uprated spark plugs (high boost capable)
-Uprated HT leads
-Genuine aerograde Titanium used for heat deflection

Gearbox:
-PG1 from 420gsi
-Quaife LSD
-Rebuilt and checked with new seals etc
-Steel cage bearings throughout
-390ft/lb capable organic clutch

Exhaust:
-Custom repositioned manifold
-Tial external wastegate (no screamer pipe! :yes:)
-2.5" custom straight through turbo back system 3"inward rolled tip

Suspension:
-New bushes throughout
-Spax coilovers

Cooling:
-Custom oversized cooling pipes throughout
-Electric water pump and controller
-Stand alone turbo cooling system separate from engine
-Uprated alloy coupe radiator
-Old mechanical water pump removed

Brakes:
-330mm AP Racing 4 pot brakes
-10mm spacers (extended wheel studs)
-Braided lines throughout
-DS2500 pads
-5.1 Brake fluid
-ABS removed

Electronics:
-PLX AFR gauge
-Oil pressure gauge
-Gizzmo boost controller
-Boost pressure gauge

Interior:
-Cobra black vinyl buckets seats
-Custom gauge installation
-Flocked dash (sections), pillers and headlining
-Custom speedo dials
-Monogram steering wheel
-Rear seats removed along with plastics
-Lightened where possible
-Genuine MG matts :D

Exterior:
-Anthracite 11spoke ZS wheels with 4xYokohama Parada spec 2
-Anthracite wing mirrors
-Bonnet aero catches
-Private plate "T16 NOS"
-Lowered

Left to fit:
-Fit the Omex and custom loom
-Custom Gas flowed and ported inlet manifold with 70mm throttle body
-Garrett GT3071r
-750cc Siemens Injectors
-Plumb in 100 shot direct port nitrous oxide (controller left to buy)

Then its mapping time :D (low boost @ 1.2Bar)
then driveshafts (to buy) nitrous and heavy boost :P (2.0+ bar)

k7ngt
20-03-12, 08:12 AM
looking good dan! last time we spoke to had an issue with the lower ball joint and the brakes, you managed to get that sorted? And will you be making an apperance with this at the malta on sunday?? :)

carmadbaker
20-03-12, 08:16 AM
yeah JUST sorted all that mate :D and the smoking! woop woop! had to pop some 10mm spacers behind the disks to bring it away from the lower arm, worked out good though :)
Im attempting to sort MOT and tax this week, if i manage then yes... if not... i'll bring the Lotus lol

k7ngt
20-03-12, 08:19 AM
Good good! i should hopefully be there, i have work at 1:00, but its only round the corner so should be able to stop for a quick chat :)

Quadcam24
20-03-12, 04:23 PM
awesome spec but imo you deffo need to ditch the 2.5 inch system for a 3 inch.

carmadbaker
20-03-12, 05:08 PM
Did contemplate it, the cost was alot more which sort of put me off. The guy who built it was all setup and ready to build me a 3" system but told me unless i was aiming for more than 500bhp it wouldn't be that advantagous (it genuinally is totally straight through lol)

Quadcam24
20-03-12, 06:41 PM
well i cant comment on the t series as ive never had any experience of it , but i know for vauxhall and vag that anything approaching 300 bhp and you start to gain from a full 3 inch, on a astra vxr pushing 290 on a 2.5 system it will make 300 on a 3 inch system.
When i had my zs with audi engine it was making more power than any of the seat cupra guys with the same mods, only difference was full 3 inch turbo back zorst. Ive just had a full turbo back 3 inch on mine to replace full 2.5 system , its on rollers sat morning, ill let you know the difference but i can tell you now just from the butt dyno that its got more top end power.
At 400 or 450 bhp a 2.5 inch system will deffinitely be holding your power back imo.

talkingcars
20-03-12, 07:41 PM
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HotWires/hotwires.php

Want to be alittle be careful fitted spark plugs like that, Know that on some bikes the iridium plugs that give a higher intensity of spark can cause running issues as you have to advance the timing slightly

That link is for leads, not plugs. The others were for heat sheilds and electronic fly by wire gizmos.

talkingcars
20-03-12, 07:47 PM
Cooling:
-Custom oversized cooling pipes throughout
-Electric water pump and controller
-Stand alone turbo cooling system separate from engine
-Uprated alloy coupe radiator
-Old mechanical water pump removed

This sounds interesting......
On my T16 maestro I do not have PAS (prefer it that way, you only need it in car parks and it ain't a going to the shops car ;) ) and have managed to kill 2 water pumps as I'm not running PAS fluid through the combined pumps.

I have been considering a Craig Davis set up, what are you using?

How have you dealt with removing the water pump?

My other problem is I had a high capacity rad built and TBH if anything it is too large but because of the capacity I don't have problems having the turbo cooled through the standard arrangment, besides I'm currently running standard power so it never gets that hot.

carmadbaker
21-03-12, 03:14 PM
proof will be in the pudding ;) lol supporting mods and turbo type play a huge roll in exhaust selection. hopefully i got it right :(

I do indeed use the davis craig water pump and controller, its a very nice bit of kit i must admit! the water pump impeller i removed and built a small diverter dam inside to help direct water flow, the pump seals still do get a constant flow of water to keep them "lubricated" so to speak! seems to work very well, keeps my engine at 95degrees easily

Quadcam24
13-04-12, 04:08 PM
well i cant comment on the t series as ive never had any experience of it , but i know for vauxhall and vag that anything approaching 300 bhp and you start to gain from a full 3 inch, on a astra vxr pushing 290 on a 2.5 system it will make 300 on a 3 inch system.
When i had my zs with audi engine it was making more power than any of the seat cupra guys with the same mods, only difference was full 3 inch turbo back zorst. Ive just had a full turbo back 3 inch on mine to replace full 2.5 system , its on rollers sat morning, ill let you know the difference but i can tell you now just from the butt dyno that its got more top end power.
At 400 or 450 bhp a 2.5 inch system will deffinitely be holding your power back imo.

update as promised.
my car made well under the expected power at just 246 bhp and similar torque, but the boost gauge showed boost was very low, nowhere near what it should have been.
Today i took it have it checked out, then have it custom remapped and re rollered.
It made 306 bhp and 330ftlb.
285-290 is the expected number with a 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust, the tech guy said it wouldnt have made the power without the 3 inch downpipe.

Dan1971
13-04-12, 04:23 PM
update as promised.
my car made well under the expected power at just 246 bhp and similar torque, but the boost gauge showed boost was very low, nowhere near what it should have been.
Today i took it have it checked out, then have it custom remapped and re rollered.
It made 306 bhp and 330ftlb.
285-290 is the expected number with a 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust, the tech guy said it wouldnt have made the power without the 3 inch downpipe.

Blimey - that's a hellofalot of power - :yikes:

Quadcam24
14-04-12, 12:26 PM
cheers

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab244/DavidV6/012.jpg

carmadbaker
14-04-12, 01:28 PM
Impressive results bet your well chuffed :thumbsup:

Im still reserved about the limits of a 2.5" zorst, your limited by the oulet of the turbine housing anyway which isnt oversized to the exhaust.
Supporting mods and engine characteristics play the main role in which exhaust is better suited, not to mention what turbo is being used.
I will just have to wait and see, im not going number hunting im heading for driveability,
but i have no doubt a 2.5" system is more than adequate.

fastmike
14-04-12, 02:21 PM
We found going from 275 to 300 BHP on Saabs required a 3in downpipe to keep exhaust gas temps at sensable levels....

Eddie
15-04-12, 02:06 PM
With the Honda’s anything approaching 300hp needs 3” down pipe and system, and 600hp + requires 4” down pipe running into no less than 3 ½” system. We done some back to back testing, exactly the same set-up other than 3” down pipe into 2 ½” system then a 3” system, it gained 30hp at the same boost, that said, it was an ITR head and the volumetric efficiency (flow) is very good so you need a free flowing exhaust.

That’s incredible power from the Vauxhall lump what boost was it running and what turbo? good usable torque curve.

Quadcam24
15-04-12, 04:07 PM
Hi Ed and thanks, its only running 17 psi peak boost, holding 14-15 at the top end. Ive learnt recently theres a lot more to making power than just boost pressures.
Its just running an astra vxr turbo, so its at its comfortable limits as far as im concerned, some run them at 20 or even 21 psi but im happy with how it drives, i didnt want an agressive map with loads of boost and a huge torque spike and massive power tail off higher up like a diesel, and its worked, on a dry warm road it can still just about lay 2nd gear.
The vaux lumps are quite good for tuning, infact the guy who helped me fit my injectors has a zlet in his tigra running 700 bhp, i believe hes one of the very few to crack a 9 second run in a front drive car.
I cant see me going for a lot more power as it means doing rods and pistons, then it gets costly. I might fit a high flow inlet manifold at some point, that only adds about 10-15 bhp to the peak power but it will hold that power then to the redline instead of it tailing off.
Im enjoying it now its mapped properly( therein lies another long tale that ill tell you sometime), its fun driving a bus that can give e46 m3 drivers red cheeks,lol

Eddie
15-04-12, 08:01 PM
Dave

I know the guy that help you, Specky, he runs in the same drag series as Any N (ESC) I was supporting Andy last year. That’s very good power for work done and for a FWD road car that’s enough in my opinion. And I agree there is more to tuning than throwing more boost at an engine, delivery and power under the curve is paramount. Maximising the mechanical tuning is far more beneficial make more power at less boost. Was involved in a tuning session back in March, 1800cc running a Precision S372 at 2.5 bar, first runs it made 494hp at 2.0 bar, dial in the cams and at same boost it made 70hp, went on to make 700hp and 500ft/lb at 2.5 bar. Dialled out the cam overlap, which is great for NASP but not so clever on a forced induction set-up. Always good to reduce boost to control heat management and lower peak cylinder pressure, makes for a happy engine.

Quadcam24
15-04-12, 09:29 PM
ha ha ha...specky thats him, right joker he is, dont think he spoke a serious word the whole time i was there, good mechanic though!

andy-81
16-04-12, 05:25 PM
wow just read the whole thread as i only looked at it today a lot of blood, sweat, tears and bad language i'll bet but it all looks worth it well done on building such a fantastic piece of machinery i am proper jealous mate

carmadbaker
03-07-12, 06:49 PM
Well.... After gettin well and truely fed up with chasing faults i've had enough.... Ive decided to fit my omex management, so the long slog begins... Wish me luck!!

Dan1971
03-07-12, 07:04 PM
Well.... After gettin well and truely fed up with chasing faults i've had enough.... Ive decided to fit my omex management, so the long slog begins... Wish me luck!!

Godd luck ... :rambo:

Drew
03-07-12, 07:23 PM
omex is pretty easy to wire. if you need any help?

Drew

carmadbaker
03-07-12, 07:55 PM
i have the assembled loom, so even easier :) just want to do a nice job of it!

Jay-ZS+
03-07-12, 09:09 PM
i have the assembled loom, so even easier :) just want to do a nice job of it!

Thought you were a sparky?! Or is it a case of shoemaker with no shoes?

Ritchy
03-07-12, 09:27 PM
wheres the thread of many pictures:P

welshone
03-07-12, 10:55 PM
wheres the thread of many pictures:P

Some pictures

<<<link>>> (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=21502)

carmadbaker
04-07-12, 07:24 AM
Thought you were a sparky?! Or is it a case of shoemaker with no shoes?

Lol!! Nooo i was a spark im a turbine technician now ;-) only fix big things that spin!
Na tbh mate the assembled loom was £180 i think? Comes all shielded up and heat wrapped with the right connectors and sensor plugs and looks great!... Which for £180 i could of done but only just and i now know its right :-) and as electricians its our duty to palm the rubbish jobs off ;-) Just made sense :-)

peterzs
04-07-12, 08:08 AM
Thought all the apprentices were the only ones that worked on the electrical fixings!!!!!!

All looking good Dan.

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

p_b82
04-07-12, 09:53 AM
Best of luck!

Jay-ZS+
04-07-12, 01:14 PM
Lol!! Nooo i was a spark im a turbine technician now ;-) only fix big things that spin!

Like a turbo then :tease:

*lukey*
10-07-12, 08:44 PM

you don't fix nothing..... i know :)

Jay-ZS+
10-07-12, 08:53 PM
you don't fix nothing..... i know :)

He must fix something then ;)

carmadbaker
10-07-12, 09:12 PM
He must fix something then ;)

lol! fellow double negative follower ;) :yoji:

DuckFeet
11-07-12, 10:02 AM
double negative

This just reminded me of School of Rock. "You're fat and you have bad body odour" or something along those lines.

carmadbaker
11-07-12, 12:06 PM
Legendary film lol

Drew
11-07-12, 08:22 PM
fitted the ecu yet?

Drew

carmadbaker
11-07-12, 10:55 PM
Im on it mate :-) had loads of little jobs to do, fabricate brackets and fit my custom
Inlet manifold, rewire sum bits... Getting there tho :-) just hacked my old loom apart for a few essentials that it needs!

carmadbaker
09-08-12, 02:45 PM
Well im slowly getting there with this Omex fitment, taking my time to make sure i get it right first time around!
I'll write as i post pictures, much easier!!

As it started! i ran it like this for a few months but suddenly suffered lean running on boost, no apparent reason for it right away. Until i took the lid off of an already repaired ECU and found the MAP sensor falling out! so ECU is knackered... doh! Fuelling then was fine, but due to a knackered ECU it just kept cutting out. This was the straw that broke the camels back :) STOP! OMEX TIME! ;)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1522.jpg

Started the strip down with the inlet manifold and boost piping, as you can see it looks a little untidy and generally a bit of a mess!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1570.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1574.jpg

Started then on the wiring loom, its just a plug and play loom, had some real electrical gremlins hiding in here somewhere!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1575.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1576.jpg

This is the good bit ;) Here is my trial fit of my custom made inlet manifold and 70mm throttle body (nom nom nom) the standard T16 manifold is incredibly restrictive at the bend into the plenum, narrows down to a ridiculous diameter, this one off piece of artwork obviously removes that. The whole item has been gas flowed and designed to suit the engine.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1578.jpg

Here is the 70mm throttle body that was attached to the inlet manifold. Its a universal jobby modified to suit my inlet. I fabricated a simple bracket for the standard throttle cable to attach too. Along with a small bit of fabricating to mount the throttle position sensor.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1606.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1607.jpg

This is where my years as an electrical technician serve no purpose what so ever!!! Car electrics are a true nightmare! i can assure you that!! I have here my Omex ECU and the plug and play loom that Omex built me. The next picture is the old loom being cut to pieces for the old parts that i require, such as alternator loom, starting circuit, fuel pump relay circuit, reverse light switch, speedo etc etc.. i wanted to completely remove the old ECU and associated wiring, it takes up alot of space and looks terrible, so this was worth the extra day of buzzing through wiring diagrams to work out :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1610.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1612.jpg

Once i had started mounting the ECU and running cables i started to notice that there was coolant in the passengers footwell. Upon investigation i found the heater matrix was leaking from the inlet joint, hence i had to completely remove the dashboard to get to the ******! major ball ache!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1619.jpg

However it did give me more room and a better idea of cable runs for the Omex :) Here's a picture of my omex mounted to the exhaust tunnel on an bracket (even has its own carpet ;) ) once in position i thought it would be cool to be able to see the Brains of the operation, so since i've cut away the tray beneath the heater controls and mounted a piece of perspex so its visible to passengers ;) Also managed to get the dashboard back in place after repairing the matrix with solder and chemical metal!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1620.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1626.jpg

This is my ashtray modified to take my start panel, i use this panel to start the car (obv!) and also use the 3 other switches (eventually) as NOS, Anti-lag and traction control. As you can imagine with sooo many extra electrical bits installed i was struggling to find decent supplys for them all, with this panel installed it allowed me to have a strong fused supply. I have wired this arrangement up so that once the covered switch is armed all of my electrical add-ons (ECU, 2 water pumps, all my gauges and idle control system) are supplied. This latches on until the key is removed from the ignition, this prevents curious hands touching things and potentially causing me problems! With this arrangement it allows me to turn the ignition on for the radio or fault find without having pumps and fans running along with an array of alarms form my gauges.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1627.jpg

Here is a picture of my engine bay with some of the loom starting to take shape, i layed the loom into the engine and got the lengths correct, then either taped of zip tied them ready for covering. The second picture is the finished loom from the alternator and water pump side of the engine. looks MUCH neater than even the standard loom before!
Third picture is a complete loom from the back of the engine through to the cabin, still looking a little untidy but slowly getting there.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1632.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1641.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1704.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1708.jpg

Here are the sensor modules for the array of sensors i have monitoring the engine condition. They are all PLX modules and all feed back to a single display which shows all 4 values from them. I have a 2 channel water temp gauge (engine and turbo coolant) oil pressure, exhaust gas temp and a stand alone air fuel ratio. They are mounted below what used to be the passenger airbag.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1705.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/dan4bex/IMG_1706.jpg

Thats basically as far as i've got to date, takes ALOT of time to make sure i get i right first time but little by little! As i get further and further in i'll post more updates :)

Lukeus101
09-08-12, 02:59 PM
New trousers please!!!!! Looking good mate :)

Jay-ZS+
09-08-12, 03:02 PM
All looks pretty straight forward tbh :crazy:

stamford
09-08-12, 03:22 PM
Will be well worth the effort put in. Will also be easier to fault find in future. I remember years ago when I had the HS Chevette, I rewired the front end loom as they were notorious for having issues through the bulkhead connector box. I made a new box with pogo connectors so I could remove the engine with loom attached.

Craig-ZS180
09-08-12, 03:57 PM
Wow... :clap2: take my hat off to you sir. A flipping amazing build that keeps getting better.

petet16
09-08-12, 04:23 PM
Some good work there:cool1:

I'm seriously liking the plenum and inlet manifold, who built them, and are they likely to make any more:fishing:

Drew
09-08-12, 07:22 PM
you got any airhorn/trumpets in that plenum?

Drew

talkingcars
09-08-12, 07:24 PM
I had to do similar on my T16 as Zippy (no not you Gary) had left me with an interesting loom, scotch locks and twisted togeather terminals and all, in the end the only thing to do was to start again.

Nice touch with the ECU on display, on my T16 I still have the O/E ECU but I have hidden it in the passanger footwell along with the coil, I made sure there was enough extra cable in the loom to do this.

MG ZS STE
09-08-12, 08:45 PM
WHOA, I just sex wee'd in my pants!

Witnes$
10-08-12, 06:24 PM
This makes for one rapido motor, very nice indeed!

Dan1971
10-08-12, 06:38 PM
Wow... :clap2: take my hat off to you sir. A flipping amazing build that keeps getting better.

Seconded .....

Eddie
23-08-12, 11:25 PM
Couple of questions?
You mention you're going to run traction control, would that be race logic?
And will you run a single or x4 EGT sensors?

Cheers

Eddie

Steven11
23-08-12, 11:58 PM

Thirded.

Looks like alot of blood sweat and tears went into that. Very impressive