PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions.....PLEASE??

Spannermonkey
23-09-09, 08:45 AM
Hi All,
After moving back to MG from a Renault Scenic (family.....etc.) bought the best one I could find. 40k, BRG, original, older man owner, but find discussed a few "essential" things I must do straight away.
1) oil catch tank.....where, how, and why?
2) Vis motor and associated bits. Mmm- must check out this STRAIGHT AWAY.:hmmm:
3) when does the dreaded cam belt have to be done?/
4) what is this guage everybody tries to get for the dash?
5) trafficmaster clock?
6) induction kit...is it REALLY worth it, or is it just to make a nicer noise?

Sorry to ask so much at one time, but totally thrilled with my new purchase, and want to keep it that way!!1

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Phate
23-09-09, 09:10 AM
1) Engine bay, because it stops the oil going into the inlet plenum and knackering the vis valves.
2) Get it checked, won't hurt :)
3) According to the book, 6 years or 90k, whatever comes first.
4) Scangauge, tells you every single little thing about the car, very handy (although I don't have one)
5) Tells you about the traffic....
6) YES, the car as standard is quite suffocated (I'm assuming you have bought a 180) - A decent induction will give you 10bhp easy and improve throttle response as well.

Spannermonkey
23-09-09, 09:15 AM
Really......yes, it is the 180 (is there any other one? LOL!) where do I get the trafficmaster thingy, and do you have any piccies of the catch tank mod? does this scanguage need miles of wiring in?? (im an Electrical engineer) and finally, REALLy like the Mk2 grille swop, what do you think??

Mike. BTW...........thanks bro.

Phate
23-09-09, 09:28 AM
No worries 'dawg'

Trafficmaster thingy, no idea...I've seen them floating around, check eBay I guess or ask in parts wanted?

No I don't because I don't have it fitted to mine (it's on the todo list) - I should do really. If you look at Stamfords profile theres pics of his engine bay and it's the blue box at the front near the rad. It's a relatively simple mod :)

Scanguage nope, it plugs straight into your OBD II port which is just behind the console on the drives side.

I don't like the mk2 grille personally, but horses for courses :)

RudeDogg1
23-09-09, 11:45 AM
Yes there is other zs's 110 1.6 (For the irish market), 120 1.8 and the 180

stamford
23-09-09, 11:54 AM
Fitting a catch tank is straight forward enough, just depends on what type you buy and where to fit it. Cheap mod and transparent too. It is easier to execute when the OE airbox has been swapped for a much improved induction kit. You'll see around a 10hp increase on average when changing the OE air filter system for open cone, BMC or ITG, carry out a search, plenty of threads on it! If you want noise then a useless cone on the thottle body will do as will heatsoak and poor economy ;)

p_b82
23-09-09, 01:00 PM
Yes there is other zs's 110 1.6 (For the irish market), 120 1.8 and the 180

:thumbsdown:
you also forgot the all important L-series monster

RudeDogg1
23-09-09, 02:12 PM
L series monster? pretty sure that wasnt part of the range :p

Ritchy
23-09-09, 04:39 PM
the 110 isnt for the irish market, its the 1.4 one that was, the traffic master clock is somthin that is on ebay sometimes, its about £30 odd quid usually and just plugs straight in to the wire for your other clock, and no need for updates, off a 25 or 45

talkingcars
23-09-09, 08:39 PM
1) oil catch tank.....where, how, and why?
Some Vis etc set ups gum up with oil reidue being drawn through them by the vapour recyclation system, reducing the oil in this reduces the chances of gumming up, however the total lack of oil in the vapour can cause the butterflys to seize!

2) Vis motor and associated bits. Mmm- must check out this STRAIGHT AWAY.:hmmm:

3) when does the dreaded cam belt have to be done?/
90k/6yrs

4) what is this guage everybody tries to get for the dash?
www.scangauge.net - plugs into the OPD11 port just behind the radio in the drivers footwell - the web site tells it better than I can, suffice to say it is an incredable good peice of kit and any sort of engineer will enjoy it.

5) trafficmaster clock?
I had one for a while, information was poor and like many the segments started to fail - I don't miss mine.

6) induction kit...is it REALLY worth it, or is it just to make a nicer noise?
(with refrence to no.4 above)
I have found that the standard airfilter is a very effective heat exchanger taking heat from the radiator and converting it into warm air for the engine.
Until the thermostat opens and the radiator fills the engine draws air at ambaint tempreture, once the stat opens the air intake is always at least 10' warmer, even at motorway speed, in traffic on a warmish day it can quickly hit 50'+!

Spannermonkey
24-09-09, 08:16 AM
Thanks Gents!!!

RudeDogg1
24-09-09, 08:56 AM
the 110 isnt for the irish market, its the 1.4 one that was, the traffic master clock is somthin that is on ebay sometimes, its about £30 odd quid usually and just plugs straight in to the wire for your other clock, and no need for updates, off a 25 or 45

o yeah the 105 i 4got that 1 (think its 105 lol)

Spannermonkey
24-09-09, 12:09 PM
Thanks all!!!

Hambo-180
24-09-09, 01:58 PM
well said James, couldn't put it better myself...!!