PDA

View Full Version : Mk 2 front and lights

Spannermonkey
28-09-09, 10:49 AM
Hi all,
fancy a complete front setup from the mk2 on my mk1. Now, being silly, do you have to replace the wings as well? REALLY like the mk2 headlights, but dont really want to change too much else. Realise that I will have to do the complete front bumper and grill setup, but if there is a shortcut............what EXACTLY are the external differences? like the mk1 interior, so dont want to change it as it is immaculate, and only ever had two people in it (no kids) and never smoked in too. Wou;d like to create a mk1 based clone of a mk2 externally.

Thanks in advance.

Mike, Bristol.:bow:

Paul ZS120
28-09-09, 11:04 AM
Essentially it's the same car so the basic frame is identical. As far as I'm aware the only differences are the bumpers and headlights and bodykit. There are several people who have done this before so if I am wrong then I'm sure they will shout at me lol. Inside wise the centre console and bits of the dash are also different but I don't think people change the interior as it's a pain in the derrier to swap the dash and it's all added expense. I want the front bumper and lights but want to keep the mk 1 rear as the boot looks far better than the mk 2 one does. Does it look stupid if you do one end without the other or would I get away with it?

Stephen
28-09-09, 11:18 AM
Only real differences are Bumper Lights and Grill. Not 100% if the bumper support bar is the same or not.

Skyblueads did this on his MK1 120, and DaveMGT iirc did this on his MK1 180.

skyblueads
28-09-09, 11:18 AM
You need mkII headlamp plugs, and also you need to cut a small piece off the back of the front bumper, otherwise it fouls the front bumper iron (the mkII has a hole in it to locate the bumper, the mkII doesn't). I've got a thread on here where I did mine, there's some pics on there.

Paul ZS120
28-09-09, 11:34 AM
So can you just do the front end and leave the back mk 1 or does it look out of place?

Jay-ZS+
28-09-09, 01:50 PM
You need mkII headlamp plugs, and also you need to cut a small piece off the back of the front bumper, otherwise it fouls the front bumper iron (the mkII has a hole in it to locate the bumper, the mkII doesn't). I've got a thread on here where I did mine, there's some pics on there.

What he said :) Also the fogs are different if you wanted them, The fog brackets are NLA so I DIYd mine, you will need to move the horn slightly if you do fit fogs as well, All in all the hardest bit of the conversion is sourcing the parts, Headlight plugs in particular

skyblueads
28-09-09, 03:17 PM
I left mine as a MkI since I had all my rear bumper replaced after I got shunted. If you do the mkII rear then you either need to fill the number plate recess or change the tailgate as well.

What he said :) The fog brackets are NLA so I DIYd mine,

How did you do that? I've got a pair I'm itching to fit!

Jay-ZS+
28-09-09, 03:35 PM
Well I siliconed the mk1 fogs in place by running a bead around the front then cable tieing in place going off the grills until dry then, cut the ties and fiberglassed them in place so rock solid :) , the angles may not be spot on but appear fine :D

Z Scotland
28-09-09, 06:58 PM
Hi all,
fancy a complete front setup from the mk2 on my mk1. Now, being silly, do you have to replace the wings as well? REALLY like the mk2 headlights, but dont really want to change too much else. Realise that I will have to do the complete front bumper and grill setup, but if there is a shortcut............what EXACTLY are the external differences? like the mk1 interior, so dont want to change it as it is immaculate, and only ever had two people in it (no kids) and never smoked in too. Wou;d like to create a mk1 based clone of a mk2 externally.

Thanks in advance.

Mike, Bristol.:bow:

The conversion is pretty straight forward really. If you want to fit the mk2 kit with grilles then you'll need to change the wings but you can fit the kit without the grilles to the existing wings.

I have most part available.:smart:

skyblueads
01-10-09, 09:53 PM
Well I siliconed the mk1 fogs in place by running a bead around the front then cable tieing in place going off the grills until dry then, cut the ties and fiberglassed them in place so rock solid :) , the angles may not be spot on but appear fine :D

Ooh. Nice idea that.