PDA

View Full Version : Tyre issue ....

Dan1971
02-10-09, 09:17 PM
:ohmy:

So my car is parked in the yard at work today and one of the guys goes .... "So you wrecked your tyres then at Brands ... "

"I did ? "

So I went down and had a close look. Driver's side front had a lump of rubber sticking up on it, looking as if some of it had melted and then dried out, and bits of track stones and grit appeared to actually be imbedded in all of them.

So ...

Just new tyres ? £200ish ....

or

Get a wheel tyre pack ? £450ish and then sell on the straights recouping £200 ish ?

Thoughts ?

peterzs
02-10-09, 09:25 PM
:ohmy:

So my car is parked in the yard at work today and one of the guys goes .... "So you wrecked your tyres then at Brands then ... "

"I did ? "

So I went down and had a close look. Driver's side front had a lump of rubber sticking up on it, looking as if some of it had melted and then dried out, and bits of track stones and grit appeared to actually be imbedded in all of them.

Thoughts ?

Dont push it round the bends so fast!!!!

:tease::tease::tease:

My one was MOT'd the next day, passed with advisory,---All tyres unevenly worn. AND o/s/f tyre bald on inner edge.!!!

:whistle::fun::fun::fun::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phate
02-10-09, 10:21 PM
Just new tyres mate. Your wheels suit the car too much, and ZS wheels are hardly heavy. The only wheels which would benefit a zed are Prorace wheels which are about 3/5kgs per wheel lighter and are just as strong. And you won't get a set for £450 :p

Dan1971
03-10-09, 09:06 AM
Tyre recommendations then ..... ?

Paul ZS120
03-10-09, 09:19 AM
All depends on the budget but I don't think you can go wrong with kumhos. They still might be classed as budget but not for much longer and I have heard nothing but praise. Performance and life equal to what you can get spending double. Just because you can afford better makes why pay that out ifyoudont have to. Yeah I'm tight lol

peterzs
03-10-09, 09:20 AM
You could always keep the old set of tyres for track days only, Buy another set, swap tyres and keep the black ones on your car. Sure you can pick up a set in need of a refurb cheap.

:mml::mml::mml::mml:

grimmy
03-10-09, 10:04 AM
All depends on the budget but I don't think you can go wrong with kumhos. They still might be classed as budget but not for much longer and I have heard nothing but praise. Performance and life equal to what you can get spending double. Just because you can afford better makes why pay that out ifyoudont have to. Yeah I'm tight lol
Have to agree with that I have been running Kumho's for years pretty cheap but a good tyre.

Southside_ZS
03-10-09, 10:10 AM
Maxxis are on the up. Well respected in Japan as proffesional drift tyres. Might be a budget make over here but they wont be for long. Get them while they're cheap.

Phate
03-10-09, 11:38 AM
Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas (think thats how its all spelt) is what you want. It is a FACT they off the best performance grip/life value and will cost you about £100 a corner. But you will not regret having them :)

EDIT: Put it this way, that Mustang I was in at the last meet (running 570bhp) can nail it in first with them on and they just grip at go.

Dan1971
03-10-09, 12:54 PM
Well ..... After ringing round and getting quotes for £350 for budgets and up to £600 for decent tyres, these are screaming buy me !!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140346054159&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

p_b82
04-10-09, 12:29 AM
i still think that you pay for what you get, and while some brands might have an image of being bugets, you dont hear of them being used in motorsport that often...

my personal opinion is that the rubber on the corners is the single most important thing that is on the car, as whithout it, or with something not quite as good, you are risking reducing your ability to corner and more importantly stop....

I am not saying that the most expensive is the best, but i would never ever put a budget tyre anywhere near a ZS that main selling point is the handling etc....

just my 2p :)

will-w
04-10-09, 03:22 AM
And I've just put four, £37 Nankang NS2 tyres on my ZS :detective:

Couldn't justify the extra £80 to get some T1-R's... Not when I had £59 worth of tracking to get done too anyway! :nugget:

Boot Hill Bandit
04-10-09, 11:24 AM
Maxxis are on the up. Well respected in Japan as proffesional drift tyres. Might be a budget make over here but they wont be for long. Get them while they're cheap.

Maxxis also make very very very good karting tyres............very consistant and durable tyres. I would rate them a better standard than Bridgestone which is the other tyres we used...........

I use Avon ZZ3's on the Devil..........just keeping the British brand flying.

Jim

Dan1971
04-10-09, 12:44 PM
Maxxis also make very very very good karting tyres............very consistant and durable tyres. I would rate them a better standard than Bridgestone which is the other tyres we used...........

I use Avon ZZ3's on the Devil..........just keeping the British brand flying.

Jim

Good shout, put them on my ZT.

4 of them fitted for £347. Sound like good value ?

Jay-ZS+
04-10-09, 01:02 PM
I last got toyo proxies 4 from tyreland £80 a corner but I got for and got 4 and got a better deal,