PDA

View Full Version : Noisy clutch.

Dan1971
11-10-09, 04:04 PM
Neutral, fine. Depress clutch to engage a gear and there is a whine. Release the clutch after engaging a gear, fine.

What's making the noise ?

It has a sheddist kit fitted.

Phate
11-10-09, 04:10 PM
THis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y81bW4jE9wI

Dan1971
11-10-09, 04:14 PM
Errm .... No.

But funny.

Z Scotland
11-10-09, 07:15 PM
Neutral, fine. Depress clutch to engage a gear and there is a whine. Release the clutch after engaging a gear, fine.

What's making the noise ?

It has a sheddist kit fitted.

Thrust bearing i would think:unsure:

SheppeyTrio
11-10-09, 07:21 PM
THis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y81bW4jE9wI

Loved it, had me in stitches!!!!!!

Aswel as this!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXRH50fvHWA

will-w
11-10-09, 09:14 PM
Thrust bearing i would think:unsure:

Yup, I'd second that one!

Can be replaced, but will be a gearbox off jobby so can take a while to do!

Changed the clutch & gearbox on Laura's Saxo last month, being French it was a pain in the butt to do, so I'm sure an MG one would be easier! ;)

Give me a shout if you need a hand :)

Dan1971
12-10-09, 08:30 AM
Yup, I'd second that one!

Can be replaced, but will be a gearbox off jobby so can take a while to do!

Changed the clutch & gearbox on Laura's Saxo last month, being French it was a pain in the butt to do, so I'm sure an MG one would be easier! ;)

Give me a shout if you need a hand :)

Mate .... that's a good shout, but as my mechanical skills top out and checking washer fluid levels .... It'd be more like me asking you to do it while I provide the tea and conversation. Always willing to learn though !!!!

Just rang a clutch guy, and after picking myself up off the floor at the quote for a new clutch I will be getting in touch I think !

Phate
12-10-09, 09:43 AM
Mate .... that's a good shout, but as my mechanical skills top out and checking washer fluid levels .... It'd be more like me asking you to do it while I provide the tea and conversation. Always willing to learn though !!!!

Just rang a clutch guy, and after picking myself up off the floor at the quote for a new clutch I will be getting in touch I think !

I'd be happy to lend a hand as well :)

will-w
12-10-09, 12:32 PM
That's handy, as balancing engines/gearboxes on axle stands is a lot easier with 3 pairs of hands!:strongbench:

Dan1971
13-10-09, 08:47 AM
Fellas .....

I have found a company via Shroonie, which will sell me the release bearing. £20

:mml:

Guys ... be honest ... can we do this together for a pub lunch on me, or do I get a garage to do it ?

Phate
13-10-09, 09:44 AM
I'm up for it if Will-w is?

will-w
13-10-09, 09:45 AM
Would be a day of getting our hands dirty, but I recon we can manage it (that's if Jake or someone else wants to lend an extra pair of hands)

Also, does anyone own a Haynes manual for a ZS? By no means should you rely on one, but they do have some useful information in them (torque settings, etc...)

Phate
13-10-09, 09:50 AM
Would be a day of getting our hands dirty, but I recon we can manage it (that's if Jake or someone else wants to lend an extra pair of hands)

Also, does anyone own a Haynes manual for a ZS? By no means should you rely on one, but they do have some useful information in them (torque settings, etc...)

Yeah I've got a Haynes manual, and it would take the better part of a day. I can ask if we can do it at the yard if you like. It's got every tool under the sun in there cos if we do this on the driveway you just knows it's going to be 'ah soddit we need such and such'

Dan1971
13-10-09, 10:17 AM
Yard would be best then ... I guess. Seriously ... I'm rubbish but will do as I'm told. If you guys with a manual reckon you can do it, then I'm in ! :yikes:

Obviously .... sooner the better for me.

Phate
13-10-09, 10:20 AM
The only thing I'm not 100% on is aligning the gearbox back up. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out.

will-w
13-10-09, 10:31 AM
The only thing I'm not 100% on is aligning the gearbox back up. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out.

Nice and easy, it can only really go on one way as the splines won't go in the slots properly and it just won't go on if that's the case!

As for the bell housing itself, I very much doubt that it's identical on each side, so the way it actually bolts back on should be obvious...

Are we replacing the whole clutch, or just the bearing? If we're going the whole thing, then I'll bring my clutch alignment tool with me :)

Phate
13-10-09, 10:35 AM
Sounds cool mate. Let me speak to Dad. I'm sure we could do it on a driveway somewhere but it's just easier at the yard 'cos everything is there!

will-w
13-10-09, 10:38 AM
Yeah, will be a lot easier...

I guess we need to think about dates? I'm off this weekend, but was hoping to get my 180 brakes fitted at last (only had them a few months now!) lol!

I'm also off during the week quite a bit, will post my shifts up tomorrow when I'm at work..

Phate
13-10-09, 10:51 AM
It will have to be a weekend for me!

Dan1971
13-10-09, 11:05 AM
Just the bearing which should be with me tomorrow.

Guys, if we could do it this weekend, Saturday would be perfect, that'd be great. If not, then I'll have to book it into the garage during next week as I need it done ASAP. I'm not gonna use it now unless it's to your yard phate, or to the garage until it gets done. It's seriously wasted, and I don't want to drive it and do any damage.

Up to you guys ....

Phate
13-10-09, 11:15 AM

Guys, if we could do it this weekend, Saturday would be perfect, that'd be great. If not, then I'll have to book it into the garage during next week as I need it done ASAP. I'm not gonna use it now unless it's to your yard phate, or to the garage until it gets done. It's seriously wasted, and I don't want to drive it and do any damage.

Up to you guys ....

I'm going to see Dad in a sec, I'll ask and let you know.

peterzs
13-10-09, 12:36 PM

Up to you guys ....

Dan, do the lot, when the gearbox is out its only a matter of 6 bolts or so holding the clutch cover in place.

If the bearing has gone, all other parts will be worn, its not worth all the trouble of just doing the thrust bearing and then finding its got to come out again to fit the rest.

Unless the clutch cover and plate have only just been done.

Also make sure the release mechanism is working ok, I see you say its had a Sheddist kit fitted so it should be OK now, ware might have been caused before the kit was fitted.

Best of luck.

:wave::wave::wave:

Just seen cluch parts on XPF, see your step up.

KevG
13-10-09, 01:06 PM
I'll second that!

Always best to do the whole job, rather than part of it.

will-w
13-10-09, 01:12 PM
Agreed ^

Doing half a job now only means you'll have to do the other half again later! :(

Dan1971
13-10-09, 01:33 PM
Full kit ordered!

Are we still on for doing it ourselves? or shall I get the garage to do it?

Dan1971
13-10-09, 02:03 PM
Sorry fellas.....

It's gonna go to the garage. That way I'll have some come-back if things don't go to plan.

I genuinely appreciate your offers of help though.

will-w
13-10-09, 07:15 PM
That's alright mate, no hard feelings!

My back hasn't recovered yet from the last one I did :D