PDA

View Full Version : My ZS... Time to change for a 75??

ZS
14-10-09, 07:06 AM
Okay, since it looks like I may be taking on my kids full time in the future, and since every other weekend I am doing a run from Portsmouth to Plymouth I'm thinking that it might be better for me to swap my car in for a 75 Tourer or a ZT-T Diesel.

The journey in the 180 costs me about a tank and a quarter (about £80) and that doesn't include the driving around at either end.. I estimate I could save a huge amount with the diesel, I've had four ZS's now (one of which was a diesel) and so am thinking its time for a change... and I could do with the extra space the Estate would give me to be honest...

I know I will miss the ZS, but family comes first...

So.. either talk me out of it and convince me the 180 can be better fuel economey - and if so how? - or convince me the other way that the 75 is the best way to go (or maybe another brand??)

ZS
14-10-09, 07:21 AM
Or the other option...

Put the 180 in the Garage and leave it there... then get myself another, older diesel estate... such as the 400 Tourer or similar elk... no idea which to go for in that case though!

Dan1971
14-10-09, 07:51 AM
Been there mate .... Got a ZT-T when I got my dog. Now back in a ZS.

It all depends on how much you will actually use the extra space. If you're in the ZS and feel cramped etc , then yes get one. If it's just a "well I think it'd be better", then trust me you won't get any benefit and it'll cost you.

If you decide to go to a ZT-T or 75 , I can recommend them highly. The build quality of my ZT-T was excellent. Really solid car and as a result a far more relaxing drive than the ZS. The diesels go really well with many owners uprating them to touching 170bhp and stump pulling torque whilst still getting 35-40 mpg....or so they claim ! My V6 was swift rather than fast but sounded just as good as the ZS.

They are certainly for the older driver though IMHO. Especially the 75.

My recommendation, stay with a ZS but find someone with a diesel or maybe a 120 who fancies a 180 and do a swap.

If you decide to go with an estate, I'd consider alternatives such as the Passatt TDi sport or Mondeo Zetec S TDCi.

EDIT *

Then also .... Keep the 180 and buy a cheap Scenic / Zafira diesel. :hmmm:

muttley2887
14-10-09, 05:51 PM
I have a ZS180 that doesn't do many miles as it is just my smiles transport. I used to have 600 diesels as the work horse but now have a 75. We do a lot of miles now up to 133k on the 75 but that's nowhere near a mileage to worry about and I always get 45mpg.

The 75 is a 2003 03 and I bought it from auction for £1300 early this year.

stamford
15-10-09, 07:27 PM
Like me I bought a diesel and kept the ZS for fun. Have the best of both worlds.

afcbadam
15-10-09, 08:48 PM
the zt is a georgeous car and a superb drive. the zt diesel with a few bits is good for 170bhp aswell and still returns 45mpg

SticklesMickles
19-10-09, 11:49 AM
the zt is a georgeous car and a superb drive. the zt diesel with a few bits is good for 170bhp aswell and still returns 45mpg

ZT derv sounds like the win in this situation.

what is the torque from the 170bhp derv engine?

afcbadam
19-10-09, 03:55 PM
cant remember the figures some of the guys were running on the 75 & ZT owners club.

there is a guy over there called jon dot com, with a 75 cdti and near on 200,000 miles on the clock and his is still going strong, with 170bhp.

mattie007
19-10-09, 06:17 PM
Im after a diesel 75 aswell. So much car for the money.

afcbadam
27-10-09, 04:01 PM
some are going for under a grand now!

Maxxed_Ross
27-10-09, 04:50 PM
A friend has a ZT-T diesel and loves it

As already said the build quality is probably the best out of the range, the inside is a bit more up-market than the ZS and they are very very comfortable on long trips

Quite rare to see one on the roads too

rozzr
04-11-09, 12:09 AM
nice cars to be inside and i think the ZTs look smart enough (though not that keen on the tourer versions which are huge cars)

i would go for a ZT cdti saloon myself, but it depends if you need the extra space with a tourer or not.

ZS
04-11-09, 09:37 AM
The ZT saloon and the ZS saloon have the same size boots (in terms of litres) according to the sales literature... so there is little point in changing from a ZS to ta ZT... Hence the ZT-T or 75 Tourer..

However for monitary reasons (this is gonna sound odd - just changed belts and front pads n discs) I am going to keep the ZS for the time being and live with the space... the sub is coming out to give me more boot space (if anyone wants it drop me a PM) and I'm considering removing some weight from the car where possible to help with economy...

In the mean time I'm going to look around for a cheap cheap diesel (418 SLD or similar) and possibly sell the Land Rover S2a (shame.. I like that car, but kids can't go in it at the moment)

peterzs
04-11-09, 09:45 AM
Was it your TY ZS up for sale on the Gosport road??

Gave me a shock to see a TY and then to see its for sale, looked good value.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ZS
04-11-09, 09:50 AM
Was it your TY ZS up for sale on the Gosport road??

Gave me a shock to see a TY and then to see its for sale, looked good value.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nah, not been into gosport for a while so probably not mine :)

Thought you lived in Bournemouth area?

peterzs
04-11-09, 10:07 AM
Dropping the wife off to see a friend, down near Haslar hospital, car was near a set of traffic lights on the left driving back to the motorway.

I nearly stopped and popped in but the traffic was a bit heavy and no where to park. It was up for £2,500, didnt get the plate.

You dont see many TY about and I knew you were thinking of selling one of yours.

Good excuse to have a drive up the M27 and back, a few times!!

:wave::wave::wave: