PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay to have your vis repaired ?

Dan1971
02-11-09, 07:04 PM
As title really.

I'm sending my old power vis to my old man, who's a bit of an electrical guy. He reckons he can repair it, and probably make it more reliable.

If yours were knackered would you pay to send them to him and get him to fix them ?

If so ... How much would you pay ?

LozMachine
02-11-09, 07:58 PM
Tenner apiece? better for folk if it could be done on an exchange basis though

Dan1971
02-11-09, 08:37 PM
Tenner apiece? better for folk if it could be done on an exchange basis though

I thought about the exchange thing. I'm sending him my power vis first for him to have a go on. If I had a balance I'd send him that too, but I don't.

We'll see how it goes.

Realistically though, he'd be repairing and posting it back the same day anyway .... He reckons 30-45 mins tops.

Nor
02-11-09, 08:42 PM
£10 for a repaired VIS motor is a bargain, I'm sure anyone would pay that. It depends what's wrong with the VIS though. If it's simply the microswitches coming away from the body, or dry joints it's a reasonably 'simple' home fix. If it's a burnt out motor then it's not really fixable.

Steves Cleenz
02-11-09, 08:44 PM
but will he replace the motor if that is fubard? if so the motors IIRC are about £4 each, cant remeber which site it was but some one found the right motors that they need, in all fairness i think £40 for a refurb is a fair price if this includes:

screwing down both the switches
re-solder all the joints
replace motor

seems new they are £80 odd new

LozMachine
02-11-09, 08:53 PM
Tenner plus parts/materials then :D

Dan1971
04-11-09, 09:09 PM
Well... he's repaired my old broken one. Upon opening he found that it'd already had some sort of repair, three broken lugs, and he reckons, not a very good one. He took this before....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/VisBoardcopy.jpg

The soldering was very poor and it appeared that the joints were not cleaned before soldering therefore the connections were intermitent. Motor was fine and there was no oil apparent inside. The terminal on the micro switch was dry jointed (not soldered). He's trying to source where we could get hold of the relays and motors.

Sadly no after picture. :sad:

So far ..... so good. It's all back together. :thumbsup:

The issue is testing it to ensure that it works before sending it back to it's owner. :hmmm:

Ritchy
04-11-09, 09:56 PM
good bit of work dan and dans dad! i like someone who fix's instead of just replacing!

stamford
05-11-09, 07:38 AM
That was a poor fix, even damaged the track coating. I'm in the middle of making a test box for repaired vis motors.

Jay-ZS+
05-11-09, 07:46 AM
That was a poor fix, even damaged the track coating. I'm in the middle of making a test box for repaired vis motors.

Can you remember whos handy work it was! :look:

Tony10
05-11-09, 08:31 AM
It looks like thats been done retrospectivly. Are you the only owner of car? I can see that coming out of the factory like that!

KevG
05-11-09, 08:35 AM
If that is fixed that is a very poor repair, as Mick says, I would get shot if any of my PCB were repaired like that, BTW I'm electronics technician.

Well... he's repaired my old broken one. Upon opening he found that it'd already had some sort of repair, three broken lugs, and he reckons, not a very good one. He took this before....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/VisBoardcopy.jpg

The soldering was very poor and it appeared that the joints were not cleaned before soldering therefore the connections were intermitent. Motor was fine and there was no oil apparent inside. The terminal on the micro switch was dry jointed (not soldered). He's trying to source where we could get hold of the relays and motors.

Sadly no after picture. :sad:

So far ..... so good. It's all back together. :thumbsup:

The issue is testing it to ensure that it works before sending it back to it's owner. :hmmm:

Dan1971
05-11-09, 09:19 AM
To clarify ... The photo is of the board BEFORE he fixed it, when he took it apart. He didn't photograph after unfortunately.

I'm not the first owner and the guy who had it before me may well have had a go at fixing it. He did do a few bits to the car in general, and as I said, three of the lugs on the housing were broken.

Anyway .... It didn't work before, and it does now apparently so when I get it back, I'll shoot over to a guy who has one of those black box vis testers and I'll report back on here.

I'm glad that there are people about with know-how. For me, I'd never have a go as I simply don't understand how these things work, and so feel that for people like me, it's good to know that there is a retired guy sitting at home doing very little, who will, for a few beer tokens, repair our vis motors.

KevG
05-11-09, 01:08 PM
Very true

peterzs
05-11-09, 02:28 PM
I know of a black ZS that could be used as a test bed, for repaired Vis's.

:mml::mml::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dan1971
05-11-09, 04:54 PM
I know of a black ZS that could be used as a test bed, for repaired Vis's.

:mml::mml::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes indeed :dumbells:

..... But hopefully, with Stamford's help, my old man will create his own little tester, so he knows that they are working before he sends them back. He did test the one he's got by putting 12V through it and the motors turned, so it should be all good.

Got to say, having driven mine with a defective one and now with a working one, that a car with working vis motors, is a much better drive.

stamford
05-11-09, 06:42 PM
You have a pm, info courtesy of KevG.

Jay-ZS+
05-11-09, 07:03 PM
BTW I'm electronics technician.

Know who you send my mechatronics assignments and paypal gifts too :laugh::laugh: