PDA

View Full Version : What's making the noise now ?

Dan1971
06-11-09, 07:53 AM
Got in the car this morning, engine on and turned the steering wheel and was met with a whining / buzzing sound when turning. :wall:

What is it ?

Low PAS fluid ? If so where's the reservoir, and can I just check and top it up with over the counter fluid ?

Anything more serious ..... ?

Curiously, by time I got to work, no issues, no noise having warmed up .... :hmmm:

Supercharged_Z
06-11-09, 08:01 AM
air in the pas rack/pump

low fluid in the resi.

its on the left hand side towards the headlight. small round resi with lower and upper writen on the side. check the level

Dan1971
06-11-09, 09:55 AM
air in the pas rack/pump

low fluid in the resi.

its on the left hand side towards the headlight. small round resi with lower and upper writen on the side. check the level

Bingo ! If it's a white cylinder with a little black lid.

Low fluid, 1-2cm below the lower level marker. Off to Halfords then ....

Cheers. :bow:

Dan1971
06-11-09, 10:31 AM
Back .... Topped up ..... Could be the most satisfying £2.25 I've spent. I had a bit of a panic on after spending so much on the clutch !

Tony10
06-11-09, 11:16 AM
glad to hear its fixed.

Phate
06-11-09, 11:21 AM
haha I know what you mean Dan. When we put the engine back in my car we started it and was such a relief, engaged the clutch put it in reverse, started backing out of the workshop then I turned the steering wheel and got the same grinding noise, my heart missed a beat lol.

Simon's ZS-120
06-11-09, 07:31 PM
well what causes this noise when on full lock to the right on the left hand wheel i get this nasty rubbing noise but its only when im turning ive been told it could be my shaft on its way out

Southside_ZS
07-11-09, 02:43 PM
i get this nasty rubbing noise but its only when im turning ive been told it could be my shaft on its way out

Not suprised the amount of old birds you keep banging :hump: lol

peterzs
07-11-09, 03:16 PM
Sounds like you need topping up with lubricant

:p:p:whistle::whistle:

will-w
07-11-09, 03:25 PM
well what causes this noise when on full lock to the right on the left hand wheel i get this nasty rubbing noise but its only when im turning ive been told it could be my shaft on its way out

Mine does it too, only on anything past 1/2 lock... Nothing is rubbing, as I've looked for clean spots on the inner arch but there aren't any :(

It's more of a metallic sound than a rubber/plastic sound

Trying to ignore it at the moment, don't want to spend any money on it at the mo! (Putting cambelt off for as long as I can too.. lol)

Simon's ZS-120
07-11-09, 03:49 PM
Mine does it too, only on anything past 1/2 lock... Nothing is rubbing, as I've looked for clean spots on the inner arch but there aren't any :(

It's more of a metallic sound than a rubber/plastic sound

Trying to ignore it at the moment, don't want to spend any money on it at the mo! (Putting cambelt off for as long as I can too.. lol)

im going to remove the rubber boot tomorow and pack it full of grease and if it stops drive shaft time :(