theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Stamford’s ZS180 (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25692)

peterzs 23-07-16 09:33 PM

I have a big club hammer, for sorting the delicate bits.

:group::group::group:

stamford 23-07-16 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 371046)
I have a big club hammer, for sorting the delicate bits.

:group::group::group:

Funny that............had a lump hammer and small chisel as the old induction lower bracket wouldn't budge, rounded bolt head!

peterzs 24-07-16 08:59 AM

14 lb sledge handy as well.

:):):)

grimmy 24-07-16 10:34 AM

Glad to see you are finding the motivation to get started on it again Mick.

stamford 24-07-16 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 371051)
Glad to see you are finding the motivation to get started on it again Mick.

Thanks Grimmy. Yea took some doing but into it now.

Stripping parts off to clean it and service it has highlighted several areas of corrosion, expected for something 14 years old I guess. Making up some cardboard templates ready to transfer to sheet steel. MIG welder recommissioned, no great but working. Ideally I would like to buy a new one.

Brackets cleaned, ground and sprayed with smooth hammerite. Need to get the wheels off so I can access the inner wing rust areas, one of these needs a plate as well. Front nearside tie down hanger is bad.

Ordered some M6 hex head flanged bolts in stainless to replace all those removed as they are pretty bad.

grimmy 24-07-16 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 371053)
Thanks Grimmy. Yea took some doing but into it now.

Stripping parts off to clean it and service it has highlighted several areas of corrosion, expected for something 14 years old I guess. Making up some cardboard templates ready to transfer to sheet steel. MIG welder recommissioned, no great but working. Ideally I would like to buy a new one.

Brackets cleaned, ground and sprayed with smooth hammerite. Need to get the wheels off so I can access the inner wing rust areas, one of these needs a plate as well. Front nearside tie down hanger is bad.

Ordered some M6 hex head flanged bolts in stainless to replace all those removed as they are pretty bad.

Nice one .my old bus is still going strong.it does have bit of an issue gearbox wise and the front jacking points are bit ropey but apart from that it seems fine.again not bad for 12 years old.

stamford 24-07-16 03:20 PM

Treated the rusty bits, all looking much better. You have reminded me Grimmy, I have jacking points that need attention! Another one on the list to add! Before rain stopped play I managed to get inside and remove the remainder of the aircon system, dropped the matrix and filter, another useless lump removed! Need to knock up a couple of machined parts this week.

p_b82 25-07-16 08:54 AM

Glad to read that progress is being made...

I'm in a frustrating point of limbo.. should have sorned the car, or not left it so long on the hope that I'd get the one vital part I need to get the last bits done "tomorrow" or I should have just picked it up and driven it as it was without the new bits...

Been 9 months now and still no progress :(

What with new a car on the drive, my enthusiasm is ebbing faster and faster...

stamford 25-07-16 07:02 PM

Pete if I had your car on my drive mine would be the same! No shame in that!

All I can say is.............'Relearn MG' :D

talkingcars 25-07-16 08:00 PM

If it's any consolation my T16 maestro wears a tax disc that expired in December 2007.