theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Time to give up on this ZS i think (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=21421)

wackyschild 02-06-12 10:58 AM

SCU faults are becoming a common issue now, mine has been going for a while. Changing the relays seems the only viable option (cost wise). Unfortunately you can't just swap over scu units. Once the relays have been replaced though it should be good for another 7 years or so :)

Bobdope2002 02-06-12 11:09 AM

im having thoughts like this currently

I really cant justify owning a car anymore i only did 3000 miles last year.... but if i sold it id miss the independance so im stuck in a catch 22 situation

Zippy Saloon 02-06-12 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobdope2002 (Post 256687)
im having thoughts like this currently

I really cant justify owning a car anymore i only did 3000 miles last year.... but if i sold it id miss the independance so im stuck in a catch 22 situation

Steady on, thats some heavy usage - mines done about 2k per year for the last few years.
I've had same thoughts but then tinkering with it is one of the few things I do.

Jem 02-06-12 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rovermgparts (Post 256669)
Why not fix the scu you have with the relay units found on ebay?

That way it doesnt need recoding and if you are a bit of a diyer you can do the fix yourself !

G

Could do it that way couldn't do it myself though,But right now im just getting super fed up with all these little things thats going wrong,Say i fix the washers whats the next thing that might go,The washers could be the only thing but its a what if,Be allright if i could do the job myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys1981 (Post 256671)
thats what i would do,once you sell it you may well regret it,like me

I will regret it im sure of that but in the long run i think i may be better off,Spending out all the time,If i had some knowhow then fixing small problems like this wouldn't be a big issue,Fantastic car engine wise no problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wackyschild (Post 256686)
SCU faults are becoming a common issue now, mine has been going for a while. Changing the relays seems the only viable option (cost wise). Unfortunately you can't just swap over scu units. Once the relays have been replaced though it should be good for another 7 years or so :)

Yea i know SCU faults has been a issue for some time on these cars but would you really expect faults like this to happen on a not to old car.

Im waiting to find out if there is a way the washers can be wired without the SCU but so i still use the washer stalk.

Then at least i can sell the car for a decent amount of money.

talkingcars 02-06-12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rovermgparts (Post 256669)
Why not fix the scu you have with the relay units found on ebay?

That way it doesnt need recoding and if you are a bit of a diyer you can do the fix yourself !

G

Is this a service you could offer people who don't have the skill or inclination to do it themselves?

andy-81 03-06-12 02:25 PM

oh dear seems a sorry state of affairs your having mate:( maybe just give it a last ditch effort to get it fixed before you write if off, you never know it may just surprise you

Jem 03-06-12 02:37 PM

Yes im going to try to get it fixed if it can be done without changing the SCU or replacing the relay,Ill be in no hurry to change cars. But when/if i do change its going to be a pick between a Hyundai i30 Or Mazda 3,For looks i do like the Hyundai.