theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New (to me) 180 questions (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=28844)

petet16 12-11-14 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hansligg (Post 348531)
I had a slight loss of power this morning. turned car on, put foot down to pull away and first initial 2 seconds it didnt respond.

normal due to sitting overnight or initial stages of an issue?

sorry for your loss also!

You might get a better response if you start a separate thread

splinter 14-11-14 08:56 PM

Thanks for your kind thoughts guys.

Will have a look/listen over the weekend and see what comes to light. If ticking/rattle is from purge, is this normal or knackered?
Thanks
Si

petet16 14-11-14 09:21 PM

Normal, even brand new ones rattle.

splinter 21-11-14 08:16 PM

Ok maybe I was wrong and this will be 180 questions!

I'm not exactly sure wham makes this beeping noise but assuming it has something to do with the alarm/immobiliser. Anyway whatever it is, when I start the car it does 2 "cycles" of beeping. When my 120 did this it turned out to be the battery in the fob running low. Found this out when central locking stopped and car wouldn't fire.
Question....is this beeping normal on the 180 and if it's the battery in fob, is it just pop the back and change battery?

Secondly, there is a fair bit of play in throttle cable. Easily adjusted, but does anything need resetting and is there a set amount of free play in the cable?

Thanks

Oh had a look for the rattle and it's definitely coming from the inlet manifold area. Will have to get that looked at sometime :(

petet16 21-11-14 08:59 PM

The beeping isn't normal, but is more common with the mk2, it's caused by the fob and transponder ring on the ignition barrel not being able to communicate, you can make it beep by concealing the fob in your hand, so the solution is to fit a new battery in the fob, and make sure the fob and transponder ring can communicate.

splinter 22-11-14 05:33 AM

Cheers pete

talkingcars 22-11-14 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splinter (Post 348865)
Secondly, there is a fair bit of play in throttle cable. Easily adjusted, but does anything need resetting and is there a set amount of free play in the cable?

No, the 180 doesn't have a TPS reset.

splinter 22-11-14 08:05 AM

Thanks matey. Will get tools out later......maybe!!!

mattyprice4004 27-11-14 01:19 PM

Get rid of as much free play as you can - I set mine so there's a tiny bit (just enough to be able to 'deflect' the cable when pressed without moving anything) of play, but nothing more.
Nice throttle response, and makes sure you're using 100% throttle with your foot down.
May wind it back if I get skint... :D

big_wasa 27-11-14 08:46 PM

First thing I do when buying one of these is refurb all the brakes. On the two mk2's I had it was worth a couple of mpg.

I did the cables on one.