theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Members Cars (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New ZS! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=9691)

Jay-ZS+ 10-10-09 06:07 PM

nice mine are HRS but NLA had real trouble getting a replacement after buckling one when they were on my 200!! Looking forward to the pics :)

Southside_ZS 10-10-09 09:05 PM

Best way i found to fit the stereo was to remove the glovebox and push as much of the wiring for the stereo as you can down the hole to the left rear of the stereo housing. Then with the glovebox removed you should see where you've pushed the wires through the hole. Then i just pulled them through from the back.

will-w 11-10-09 07:01 AM

When you say running at 20psi, is that peak?

Has it got a boost gauge installed? If not I would get one in soon as the recommended max is 19psi, any higher and you put unwanted stress on pretty much anything :(

I looked around all over the place to find a derv with the 180 kit and couldn't find one... We want pictures!!! :)

David 11-10-09 08:11 AM

A friend of mine tells me it'll hapily run 25PSI, yes 20 is peak. It has got a boost guage. Is it normal for a DERV whilst driving to be always boosting something? it never goes into vac or is that normal?

will-w 11-10-09 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 123238)
A friend of mine tells me it'll hapily run 25PSI, yes 20 is peak. It has got a boost guage. Is it normal for a DERV whilst driving to be always boosting something? it never goes into vac or is that normal?

If you run 25psi, then you'll blow it.. On standard internals anything over 20psi is very frowned upon, anything over this and you'll be asking for either HGF or a blown turbo and/or damaged oil seals. You'll also be seriously shortening the life span of the engine/drivetrain.

Due to the size of the turbo on the diesel (it is TINY - the turbo on my Smart Roadster was bigger!), it will always show some boost... While doing a steady 60mph you should see between 5psi and 8psi, depending on the type of road you're on... Using the engine to slow you down should use none.

As for the minimal vac, yes that is perfectly normal.. The diesel has no dump valve to release the pressure (like a petrol), as our engines need the boost to function properly. The wasegate will release excess pressure, but you'll never really hear it.

Hope that helps :)

David 11-10-09 10:02 AM

will be turning boost down to 19PSI when i do my service. Looks like it's going to absolutely chuck it down, but i'm going to try give it a clean and get some dark photo's lol

will-w 11-10-09 10:12 AM

20 will be ok, providing you don't run around on full boost all day ;)

There's a guy down in Somerset who does some amazing remaps for our cars, £220 will get you a map that should be worth 150bhp + 230lb-ft with your modifications :D

I'll find his URL in a min

David 11-10-09 10:16 AM

is it reidymaps?

Dan1971 11-10-09 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 123257)
is it reidymaps?

stamford's been to reidy ... He's recommended and I think, Pete has taken his diesel to him. Not sure about 150 though ... :hmmm:

will-w 11-10-09 10:26 AM

Yes it is, he'll map it on a RR so you'll get exactly what you're after!

SDi's on a mk2 derv will get you ~135bhp without a map, include the decat, exhaust and blank off the EGR and you'll easily get 150 :)