theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   FE54 - making her mine. (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25274)

talkingcars 17-06-13 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 310921)
You could always take that £2.30 you found in FE54 as payment lmao :rofl:

LOL - some of it was under the carpet so proberbly got there when the alarm was fitted (along with 3 christmas tree clips that have no home anywhere in the car, a random bolt and several cable trimings and several alarm cables routed under the middle of the footwells - true pro's they were).

ZS 17-06-13 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 310923)
LOL - some of it was under the carpet so proberbly got there when the alarm was fitted (along with 3 christmas tree clips that have no home anywhere in the car, a random bolt and several cable trimings and several alarm cables routed under the middle of the footwells - true pro's they were).

Christmas tree clips, from doorcard I would guess? But wow, wires under the footwells? Still sounds like she's getting a lot of well deserved attention by your hands :) and soon will be in tip top condition :weakbench:

talkingcars 18-06-13 04:48 AM

These were really long, 3 times the length of the ones in the doors.

ZS 18-06-13 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 310927)
These were really long, 3 times the length of the ones in the doors.

Green ones? - Other than that no idea...

When I first got the car there were two huge Fuses in the footwell, I've only seen the same fuses on our UPS at work since... lol

talkingcars 19-06-13 05:04 AM

No, black.

talkingcars 19-06-13 09:04 PM

Heated front screen arrived today - getting it fitted on Monday.

When I first ordered it I never dreamed that it wouldn't be going in GV51.

petet16 19-06-13 09:09 PM

Good news, did you get a new top strip with it.

talkingcars 20-06-13 05:15 AM

Sort of, the guy was delivering the screen when some one came out of the office with a jiffy bag containing the top strip.

talkingcars 24-06-13 05:37 PM

and now the screen is fitted - thought about doing it myself but felt that going the pro's to do it while I was at work was a better idea - am I going to regret not keeping the old screen?

Also I was contemplating removing the sunstrip when I first got the car, now it's not there I feel a bit naked, shall I replace it - "Shaz n Dave" anyone?

peterzs 24-06-13 06:20 PM

Could always get those big fluffy dice!!

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

carmadbaker 25-06-13 05:44 AM

How do you wire it in dude? You thinking seperate switch or are you going to piggy back the rear screen button to do both?

talkingcars 25-06-13 05:42 PM

Undecided at the moment, the tails are just loose for the time being.

carmadbaker 25-06-13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 311829)
Undecided at the moment, the tails are just loose for the time being.

Some clever wiring and relay logic trickery and you could possibly have it as follows:
1st press: rear screen on
2nd press: rear screen and front screen on
3rd press: all off

Or

1st press for 2+ secs: front screen on
2nd press for 2+ secs: front screen off with no affect to rear screen?

Could fit a different colour LED next to the original in the switch to indicate its status... Would be pretty cool!

petet16 25-06-13 07:14 PM

Your over thinking it Dan:smile1:

carmadbaker 25-06-13 07:47 PM

im an overpaid underworked spark... need something to fill the void!!!! ;)
Im a firm believer in KISS but sometimes the little extra thought and engineering skill is SO worth the effort

petet16 25-06-13 07:51 PM

ok, just to give you something to chew on, the front screen is 2 separate elements, just to add an extra dimension to the permutations

Skillen 25-06-13 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmadbaker (Post 311857)
im an overpaid underworked spark... need something to fill the void!!!! ;)
Im a firm believer in KISS but sometimes the little extra thought and engineering skill is SO worth the effort

Hey if you're that bored have a lovely trip up to Cumbria and you can wire mine in for me with the heated rear.

talkingcars 25-06-13 10:15 PM

I've considered moving the lock switch and having 2 switches and/or connecting it to the remote start so the front screen comes on as well.

Skillen 25-06-13 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 311874)
I've considered moving the lock switch and having 2 switches and/or connecting it to the remote start so the front screen comes on as well.

What about an even fancier way of putting it into the demist function on the ATC?
Possible?
It already auto cancels itself after a set time so one press of that and the aircon screen demister/screen heater comes on then off it goes later on.

talkingcars 25-06-13 10:21 PM

That's getting super complex as I suspect that is an electronic setting in the ATC ECU.

Skillen 25-06-13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 311877)
That's getting super complex as I suspect that is an electronic setting in the ATC ECU.

It gives a signal to at least the fans to kick into full speed and the vents to move so maybe a way of saying (when these two events happen together then activate this circuit)

That's probably the way I'd like to do it to keep it all oem.
I wonder if technozen would be able to tell me :/ *hmmm*

talkingcars 30-06-13 01:29 PM

Been another quite week due to Mrs TC's shed - we bought a cheap £99 shed about 7 or 8 years ago from Wickes as Gemma didn't like sharing my "secret hoarders" shed full of "rubbish" (car parts to you or me). Over the last couple of years it has been subsiding and becoming unstable. Also the gap between the 2 sheds was becoming filled with DIY leftovers so independantly we had both been looking at replacing the shed.

Last year work was taken over by Wolseley (former car manufacturer and now building materials supplier) and this weekend was set as the first full stock count under the new owners, a few weeks ago we were given the go ahead to clear the depot of all non moving, damaged or obsolete stock and the staff were free to have anything that was going - I spoke to Gemma who agreed that I could build a shed but I musn't bring the materials home until I was ready to use them - fair enough to be honest - only problem was that I had to bring them home there and then or they'd go in the skip - the result is 200 tonuge and grove floor boards, 7 fence posts and 30 decking joists.

I've knocked togeather a side and started on a back panel, emptied and cut up the old shed, cleared lots of the DIY left overs and lots of car parts (including the last of the bits I'd saved from my first 2 cars, the Lada was scrapped in 1988 and the mini in 1992!)

This morning we've levelled the base from the old shed, I like to have the shed raised on joists so that air can circulate underneath and for some reason one corner had dropped by about 3 inches, I suspect it was the foxes we had a couple of years ago digging their access to the space underneath. This afternoon after the end of the F1 I hope to get the side and back in place.

And I have done something on the ZS's, I swapped the alloy x-power one from GV51 with the MG owners club plastic tax disc holder in FE54.

talkingcars 03-07-13 09:56 PM

You lot found that interesting didn't you!

Made a bit of progress on the shed so tonight I decided to fit the DAB Kenwood in, the mk2 has 2 openings at the pack of the slot that you don't get in the mk1, but still not enough space to get all my wiring in so I cut a slot on the left hand side using a junior hacksaw blade.

It went in ok but the stretch for the DAB aerial is a bit too much so that will need re-arranging. Also there is a sort of buzzing in the front speakers when playing music from the auto changer. And I have issues with wiring the steering wheel controls - see seperate thread.

It'll be nice to have some company on the way to work.

stamford 04-07-13 07:47 AM

These new head units are getting chunkier at the back, I had to hack the inside of my mk1 a fair bit to fit the iphone docking head unit, no way could the plugs fit.

peterzs 04-07-13 09:10 AM

I find the valves on mine take soooo long to warm up, must get a DAB.

And Talkingcars, think we were all knacked from the shed building.

I have the "leaning shed of Bournemouth", getting so bad I hope it doesnt collapse when I'm moving stuff, that must be in there somewhere!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

talkingcars 16-07-13 06:03 PM

So apart from washing FE54 prior to going to MGSD I've not done anything to her, it's been shed, shed, shed - the extension now has a side, a back, floor (all in tongue and grove) and shelf uprights and I've been making the shelves.

The only car thing I've done is replace the water pump on the F. I managed to get the alternator drive pulley undone with my new toy, a Ryobi one+ impact driver, took all of 2 seconds. I then struggled for a while to understand how the manual cambelt adjuster works before deciding to just undo the water pump bolts until the tension was eased enough to slip the cambelt off, I reassembled it the same way and was impressed to get it all back together and an initial bleed done.

I'm not so happy to have had to top it up a couple of times although just a little. I was happy enough to take her to West Wittering on Sunday and then to work today, until the N/S hydroelastic suspension failed on the way back!

peterzs 16-07-13 07:32 PM

Oops, can you stll get the units?? or is it a scrappy yard hunt.

talkingcars 16-07-13 09:11 PM

Not sure what has gone yet, I just parked it up and walked away.

There are some components available out there so I should be able to get something.

talkingcars 21-07-13 08:45 PM

Washed her again :)

Fitted some locking wheel nuts.

(And stripped the transferring engine bay parts out of GV51)

talkingcars 23-07-13 06:21 PM

Side airbags swapped so I have the correct ones for the car, only took 40 minutes, nice to see the SRS light to go out.

petet16 23-07-13 06:34 PM

Good progress being made :thumbsup:

talkingcars 31-07-13 10:37 PM

Swapped the drivers door card this evening, I hadn't realised how different they are.

Not only is the winder switch different the plate it mounts to is so had to swap this.

Then the insulation on the back is different, suprizingly the later card has a big lump of polystyrene behind the armrest that isn't on the early one. Needless to say this got transfered.

Finally there is an infill section at the back end of the earlier card that serves no obvious purpose.

I'm gonna have to refit the battery on GV51, you can't fit the card with the glass up.

Skillen 31-07-13 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 316105)
Swapped the drivers door card this evening, I hadn't realised how different they are.

Not only is the winder switch different the plate it mounts to is so had to swap this.

Then the insulation on the back is different, suprizingly the later card has a big lump of polystyrene behind the armrest that isn't on the early one. Needless to say this got transfered.

Finally there is an infill section at the back end of the earlier card that serves no obvious purpose.

I'm gonna have to refit the battery on GV51, you can't fit the card with the glass up.

Mine have my crossovers in those polystyrene bits not. They're good for that!
I put both of mine on multiple times with the glass up and then realised it was far easier with the glass down too!

They also have a different handle colour I thought!
So I swapped those too.

talkingcars 01-08-13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skillen (Post 316110)
They also have a different handle colour I thought!
So I swapped those too.

I hadn't noticed that as I did the swap in the falling dark and been jumping in and out of the car today in to much of a hurry to notice.

talkingcars 11-08-13 03:30 PM

The colour match is close enough but in day light I notice that because the mk2 surround is slightly shorter than the mk1 surround so it doesn't quite cover the hole.

Yesterday I completed the exchange on seats so now the mk1 has a nice mk2 interior and 180 seats with grey inserts.

FE54 has mk1 door cards and O/E speakers.

Just taking 5 minutes before swapping boots around.

And the shed has a roof.

talkingcars 11-08-13 03:41 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...39475290_n.jpg

Since taking this photo I've added a front by using the side of the other shed and added a roof to the whole thing.

welshone 11-08-13 04:21 PM

A well set out place to store car parts :D

talkingcars 11-08-13 05:40 PM

Yeah, there is now a work bench across the front :)

I've just swapped the boots on both cars, definite signs of accident repair with several welds across the back of the spare wheel well and the end of a welding rod stuck to the boss for the spare wheel bolt.

Also the usual swimming pool which has now drained out of the 2 holes I drilled.

Bored of cars now so lets go shedding.............

talkingcars 11-08-13 08:32 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...18236026_n.jpg

and as it looks at close of play tonight.

peterzs 12-08-13 10:20 AM

Looking good!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: