theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   'Do stuff' meets (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22637)

peterzs 15-09-12 08:25 PM

just popping over to Son in Law, to borrow his, lucky you said.

Smokey 15-09-12 08:37 PM

I used a very large screw driver and a wrench to undo mine. Was NOT fun!

petet16 15-09-12 09:04 PM

Make sure you dig all the rubbish out the recess first.

talkingcars 15-09-12 09:33 PM

Torx T50 - I have one of those on a 3/8 socket drive.
I also have an engine hoist.
I might be able to provide some banding.

All will have to wait until the 29th though as I spent half today stripping a dash out of someone elses car so have to gain some domestic favour tommorow.

peterzs 15-09-12 10:42 PM

At Son in Laws now, got a T50..

So that should be sorted.

Smokey 16-09-12 07:56 AM

:thumbsup:

Nobrainer 16-09-12 08:10 AM

Permission granted, I will have youngest in tow though

ZS 16-09-12 06:27 PM

A BIG thankyou to PeterZS and NoBrainer!

We have got further on stripping the car than I thought possible in one day!

All that's left really is to remove the engine (ran out of time today! and could do with a crane...) and remove the rear suspension... So again Thankyou to you both!

Dan1971 16-09-12 06:47 PM

Great stuff .... what goodies have you got then .... how's the lowered suspension looking .... :hmm:

ZS 16-09-12 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 272680)
Great stuff .... what goodies have you got then .... how's the lowered suspension looking .... :hmm:

Not got to fitting the lowering springs yet! Will let you know when i do though... what goodies you after?

Nobrainer 16-09-12 07:19 PM

No worries. It was a nice day and your kids were great babysitters. Had a look at my diary and im off tomorrow so might get a chance to fiddle with mine. Wow. Car stuff three days running!

Dan1971 16-09-12 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 272684)
Not got to fitting the lowering springs yet! Will let you know when i do though... what goodies you after?

No idea .... :laugh:

daytona365 16-09-12 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 272680)

You soldered your heater resistor yet?

stamford 17-09-12 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytona365 (Post 272775)
You soldered your heater resistor yet?

I hope this is not the one sitting in your box of rags and gloves I have here!

peterzs 17-09-12 08:49 AM

Had a good day, last time I went stripping with some mates, was back in the late 60's, somewhere in a place called Soho!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit different, but least all the bits were removed carefully.

Looking forward to getting the engine out and on the pallet, bonus for Smokey, he gets a lorry stroop.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Nobrainer 17-09-12 09:04 AM

Good thing you kept your clothes on this time then :-)

peterzs 17-09-12 09:08 AM

Wasnt enough in the hat when you passed it round!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZS 24-09-12 08:58 PM

Anyone else popping over on Saturday? or is it just Talkingcars and Myself removing this engine? :D

If I have orders in before thursday I'll get some lunch items in (maybe a few drinks items as well) :D

Dan1971 24-09-12 09:20 PM

I can't this weekend - sorry .....

Nobrainer 24-09-12 10:38 PM

My parents are coming over and my wife would be far from impressed if i bunked off and left her to it.

daytona365 25-09-12 06:15 AM

In down in Wales this wkd, which is ashame as my Zed is still in need of a bit of work.............. Ah well, mini repair meet at Dans lol.

stamford 25-09-12 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 274339)
Anyone else popping over on Saturday? or is it just Talkingcars and Myself removing this engine? :D

If I have orders in before thursday I'll get some lunch items in (maybe a few drinks items as well) :D

Not sure at present, Sat mornings are a non-starter for me. I have to watch my back if it is an engine out job, it's a little fragile at the moment.

What time are you looking to kick-off in-case I can spare some time to do assist?

talkingcars 25-09-12 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 274366)
Not sure at present, Sat mornings are a non-starter for me. I have to watch my back if it is an engine out job, it's a little fragile at the moment.

What time are you looking to kick-off in-case I can spare some time to do assist?

I'm looking at getting down there for about 9.30-10.

I've not taken an engine out for years so even a inteligent guide will be useful, especially later on when we've got stumpted.

peterzs 25-09-12 09:15 AM

I'll pop over, give you a few pointers!!!

peterzs 25-09-12 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobrainer (Post 274357)
My parents are coming over and my wife would be far from impressed if i bunked off and left her to it.

Could always pop out for a pint of milk. ;););)

Depending when its out might need a bit of grunt to move it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

stamford 25-09-12 09:36 AM

What is the plan on removing? Hoist available? Or a case of cutting the front off and dropping it onto the pallet and pushing the car back away from it? Plenty of ways to do it.

POMPSKI 25-09-12 09:44 AM

As we know, my knowledge on cars is poor. But I am very good with a spanner :) I'll be popping in at some point if that is ok ;)

peterzs 25-09-12 09:47 AM

Think Talkingcars has a hoist.

peterzs 25-09-12 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POMPSKI (Post 274394)
As we know, my knowledge on cars is poor. But I am very good with a spanner :) I'll be popping in at some point if that is ok ;)

Specially welcome when we need to move it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No knowledge required, best way of learning, seeing what needs undoing and why.

:yay::yay::yay:

stamford 25-09-12 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 274397)

That's good as the one I borrowed from work was a right pita to get in the back of the Landy, did my back in and nearly damaged the car last time. Unfortunately my trailer is not ready for the road as yet otherwise I could have dropped it in that.

talkingcars 25-09-12 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 274397)

Indeed, I do.

Also a couple of angle grinders............

stamford 25-09-12 11:35 AM

Well if the engine is going complete with gearbox then it may well be easier to drop it straight down onto the pallet and hoist the car over it. It is the same method I used to change the V6 engine in my Calibra. Drop front subfame and engine to the ground and lift the car up and away. In this case it would be easier and quicker to cut the front cross member off and pull it out? The shell is being weighed in is it not?

ZS 25-09-12 12:01 PM

Yes the shell is being weighed in :)

If we have angle grinders and its easier to cut some of the car away then happy to do that!

Since I would rather not leave the engine out on the drive for any length of time I have cleared some space in the garage... *IF* we can get it down there! lol if not then I will arrange to get it collected sooner rather than later... (We all know what those pikeys are like!)

stamford 25-09-12 12:11 PM

Sam if you do move it to the garage, how are you doing it and also how do you intend to move it back up the drive when the courier turns up? It is not an easy thing to shift, believe me I know! I had enough trouble moving mine a few feet on a pallet.

ZS 25-09-12 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 274419)
Sam if you do move it to the garage, how are you doing it and also how do you intend to move it back up the drive when the courier turns up? It is not an easy thing to shift, believe me I know! I had enough trouble moving mine a few feet on a pallet.

I suppose it depends how heavy it is?

My only experience of moving an engine is with a 1.8 K4 (ZS 120) engine that two of us lifted and carried easily from the boot of a saloon ZS to the other side of the workshop :)

I know the KV6 would be heavier... but how much heavier?

As for putting on the truck, I assumed (from experience working in a warehouse) that the courier would have a pallet truck (since its a pallet courier company) that would make light work of moving it from garage to lorry...

stamford 25-09-12 12:25 PM

Ah good point about the pallet truck! Around 150kg for the engine alone. I don't have the wet and dry weights at hand.

peterzs 28-09-12 06:01 PM

got my engine trolley in the car, hopefully we can put the pallet with the engine on it and wheel it down the drive. Might have to carry it over the stones though.

How many coming tomorrow???

Got my trolley jack and some sandwiches, about 9.30 ish I hope.

:):):)

talkingcars 28-09-12 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 275030)
How many coming tomorrow???

Me, will be loading the hoist in the morning as I've just been elected to pick kids up at midnight so might not be down until 10 but we'll see what we can do.

stamford 28-09-12 06:37 PM

I can't help as driving to Aldershot with my daughter to collect a car and my back is not too good today. If I can pop over at all I will but doubt if I'll be free until midday onwards.

peterzs 28-09-12 06:44 PM

More the merrier!!