theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The mk2 is dead :( (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=27011)

Ritchy 22-12-13 01:34 PM

Usually electrical connectors, i'd pull the seats and carpet out, if its running i'd take them to a decent valet shop and get them to vax and clean them out

p_b82 22-12-13 01:53 PM

Sorry to hear of the damage.... it is my big fear driving a derv - which is why i still have my air intake really high up and in cone format rather than enclosed... far to scared of getting water in the engine after everything I have done and been through!

I have been very gad I have had sole use of my second car these past 6months as the ZS ended up being laid up due to other commitments...

Skillen 22-12-13 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy (Post 327874)
Usually electrical connectors, i'd pull the seats and carpet out, if its running i'd take them to a decent valet shop and get them to vax and clean them out

Luckily the seats aren't wet just the footwells. My mum has access to a carpet cleaner so may get that on the carpet.

While that is out though ill be sticking some sound deadening on the floor pan and seeing where I can add foam insulation to make the cabin less noisey. Driving my dads '11 focus today and it is silent :/

James Raby 22-12-13 02:09 PM

It doesn't matter if you work on it at midnight, leaving water in an engine aint clever eh!

get over to it, take the plugs out and turn it over, simple really

good luck

Skillen 23-12-13 08:21 PM

After working last night for 45 minutes only to find my spark plug Socket did not fit And buying a new one today, i spent two hours in the rain to get the plugs out.

I got absolutely soaked fighting with the rear bank coil packs! The plugs were easy once those were out!

The good news is it cranks on the starter!

It fired a load of water out of the rear bank drivers side cylinder only I think.
May have been some in the middle cylinder.

If I have ruled out the front three and the rear passengers side cylinder can I stick those plugs and coils back in to give a bit extra oomph to expel more water?

I'm happy it has rotated tbh!
But I guess I won't know if any other damage has been done till I get the plugs back on to fire it up.

Happier chap tonight though!

petet16 23-12-13 08:27 PM

Have you got a compression tester, if it cranks without making any horrible noises that's a good start.

Skillen 23-12-13 08:30 PM

No I haven't and tbh don't know how to use one would I need all the plugs in apart from the one I'm testing? Also will it fit down the rear bank?
It cranked first turn of the key, I probably should have popped the injector fuse out as it stunk of petrol!

petet16 23-12-13 08:51 PM

No, the test is done with all plugs out, and the throttle fully open.

Getting to the rear plugs might be a challenge.

Enright 23-12-13 09:03 PM

You simply screw it in in place of each plug in turn, and crank the engine for about 5-10 seconds. Probably best to do it without any plugs in.
Your Haynes manual should tell you what the compression ought to be, but the main thing is as long as all the readings are healthy and reasonably close, then that's fine. Good idea to remove the fuel injection fuse as you say though.

Ritchy 26-12-13 04:19 PM

I wouldnt waste money on the tester, just stick the plugs back in now and see if it'll start, if its running poor should maybe look at it to confirm