theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   MK2 centre console project (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11562)

Smokey 07-04-10 06:33 PM

well the centre console arived today! First thought....was gonna lose the clock but notice the bulb is easily removed and replaced so the question is....it changing the colour of the clock as simple as getting the right coloured bulb or is the LED screen tinged orange so that this cant be done?

Ritchy 07-04-10 06:54 PM

well not going to be much use here but..
the bulb is clear and its an orange filter so i think the only easy colour you could do is red, but dunno how eay the film comes out
the plugs are bmw plugs...and the mark2 buttons you press it and it activates it doesnt hold itself in as such if that makes any sense to you? the mk1 you press them and they stay pressed in

Smokey 07-04-10 09:20 PM

um not quite sure?! Kinda got lost on the second part. I figured the bulb was white and my plan is going all red anyway so what bulb would be best for a vibrant red colour?

Not sure what you mean about holding buttons etc?

Ritchy 07-04-10 09:28 PM

the buttons dont latch down, they are one touch and the scu holds the switch on, where as the mark 1 the switch itself holds the switches on.

if you got a suitable red led bulb that should shine through id think, but the clock bulb the glass doesnt come out of the holder, the holder is part of the bulb, the instuments the bulb is seperate to the holder

but the buttons for the aircon, recirculate are the same as the mark one and will fit, the only one you will need to change will be the heated rear screen button

Smokey 07-04-10 10:00 PM

so MK2...I need momentary switches? (I am getting rid of the plastic black standard ones)

I would need a red bulb within a matching holder then?

And what about MK2 aircon unit...is it possible to change the colour it display?

Cheers for the replies btw.

Ritchy 07-04-10 10:07 PM

climate contol? or just the aircon button which is the same size and shape throughout all the 45-zs's is it a mark1 or mark2 your fitting it into?

Maxfly 07-04-10 10:25 PM

Am guessing that it's the climate control unit same as the zondas?? Would think you can but would probably require desoldering of leds etc. I know some 75 owners have changed the colour of their climate control displays (albeit a diff unit) so would think the same would be possible with ours??:)

KevG 07-04-10 10:45 PM

You still have a orange filter behind the LCD in the climate display screen, I'm looking into getting LEDs for this to change but as of yet I have not found a suitable alternative.

Smokey 08-04-10 11:34 PM

well the plan is changing it to red. is there an led out there that combined with the orange filter on the climate control unit will make a bold red colour?

Jay-ZS+ 09-04-10 03:49 AM

Could you not just remove the orange filter like on the mk1? Then fit red LED with resistors?