theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is your car an MG or Rover? (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=1259)

mrt_04 23-09-07 11:05 PM

MG

sduk 23-09-07 11:42 PM

well i have always thought mine was an MG due to the shape and model etc, but appreciate its rover roots :)

its all good tho, could be worse :D

Deckz 24-09-07 02:28 PM

MG but it has a Rover heart.

(ZR with a 220 Turbo conversion)

papa_lazaroo 26-09-07 09:46 PM

Hello Boys and girls, I'm new to the site, but not to the brand. I hav worked in Car design for the last 16 years, and during that time have benefited fro working at Jaguar(Fuels cooling and Exhausts)(Rover- Lngbridge, and Gaydon) and for the last 4 years, in Chassis at Nissan in Milton Kaynes, although I have taken 3 months out to cream the cash working in Zurich,,,, I digress. I have had the privledge of owning 1 Rover 25 1.6, and 1 Rover 45 Diesel (Pearl and Oyster, to those who worked at Longbridge) and then I moved onto 2 MGZS+, first was the exact car(in Red wine metalic) that you see on the handbook,it was uncle Ken's company car (Ken was the prototype workshop manager at Longbridge and his car, later mine, was full of spec). It was lovely except it wa the diesel, nothing wrong with diesels, but I like more speed, Any way, I now have a 180 as pictured on my Profile, and here is where it gets interesting for those wanting an answer to this conundrum. When the nice man looking after chassis dynamics for the MG ZR and S aksed if he could tweek the suspention to make the MG badged cars different, he was told, yes. Just so long as the parts are all the same and shared by Honda (that way Rover voided any tooling bill). So Mark Anderson, went and turned the front control linkages upside down, and in that small engineering master stroke, changed the handling of the chassis. this is why the MG's handle far better than the rovers.

Keep in touch, I like the thought of us all loving our cars.

Rob

arwilson80 26-09-07 09:55 PM

so what you are really saying now is....

'Is your car MG, Rover or Honda?' :)

stamford 26-09-07 09:57 PM

It's an ickle bit of everything all made with love!

mrt_04 26-09-07 10:00 PM

I found out last night who designed the bodykit for the ZS & SV & b*gg*r me I cant remember his name...Peter ?????

stamford 26-09-07 10:05 PM

Did you mean Peter Stevens? He designed the MG range and the McLaren F1, not to mention the Subaru Impreza WRC.

mrt_04 26-09-07 10:07 PM

Well done mate, thats him.
Very impressive portfolio. Reading up on him last night. Won quite a few awards for the SV.

garythesnail 03-10-07 09:10 PM

I'm happy for mine to be considered a Rover. It's just been tinkered with to improve the dynamics.

If I hadn't had such a good experience over 120k miles (90k in under 3 years) with a 400 diesel saloon, I would have bought a civic type R or a leon cupra wihtout considering the ZS. Just as well the rover looked after me - the ZS is the best drive of those three (and was the cheapest to buy new!)

My zed has also been referred to as a Leyland - made me smile.