theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Broken down.... (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=7869)

Phate 29-05-09 01:39 AM

UPDATE:

Car gets started on tomorrow at 8am. Yes I've said that before but it's actually in the workshop with the tools sitting next to it, I can't wait :D

Only we don't have yet is the cambelt stuff but I might just do the gearbox, clutch and DS tomorrow so I can atleast use it and do the cambelt in a couple of weeks. God I need a V6 fix!!!

Maxfly 29-05-09 09:11 AM

good stuff fella, i wid be goin stir crazy right noo if it wis me in yer position!!! :)

ZS 29-05-09 09:19 AM

Jake... Wanna buy my hatch 120? much easier to if things go wrong and probably more in suiting to your money issues :P

Phate 29-05-09 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 106926)
Jake... Wanna buy my hatch 120? much easier to if things go wrong and probably more in suiting to your money issues :P

Work has been busy recently so money isn't too much of a problem right now :)

Doesn't mean I can afford an LSD though :p

Bonnet is off the car (had other stuff to do before coming over here this morning) and work is starting very shortly. :thumbsup:

I actually dreamt of driving my car last night, how sad am I :sleeping:

stamford 29-05-09 10:04 AM

Good to hear work is picking up, you won't have time to play with the zed ;)

RudeDogg1 29-05-09 10:23 AM

u could waxol its underside whiule its over the pit just an idea lol

Phate 29-05-09 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeDogg1 (Post 106936)
u could waxol its underside whiule its over the pit just an idea lol

This is to help prevent rust isn't it?

I'm not sure, it'll add weight ;)

Eventually this car will be a track toy only :p

Phate 29-05-09 04:07 PM

Update:

Right today only had time to remove the battery, induction, bonnet and a couple of other bits from the bay.

Dad's gone away for the weekend so I've been trusted to do the following tomorrow.

A) Jack it up and put it nice and high on axle stands
B) Take front wheels off
C) Remove front bumper
D) Remove headlights and detango them
E) Fit uprated rear brakes.
F) Refit rear bumper (it's been knocked so is sagging)

Basically everything that has been a 'another one to add to the list' job is going to be done. The uprated rear brakes I've had for yonks but never got round to fitting them, also the headlights I've been meaning to detango for quite a while now etc.

Trying to think of what else I've wanted to do to it (cept strip it out add a ton of NOS and annihilate everything at the track :D)

I'm also going to take the front bumper and bonnet to the bodyshop to see about getting them resprayed, they are in SERIOUS need of doing....stone chip city.

RudeDogg1 29-05-09 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 106937)
This is to help prevent rust isn't it?

I'm not sure, it'll add weight ;)

Eventually this car will be a track toy only :p

yes it is its black **** lol

RudeDogg1 29-05-09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 106980)
Update:

I'm also going to take the front bumper and bonnet to the bodyshop to see about getting them resprayed, they are in SERIOUS need of doing....stone chip city.

Ive been thinking about doing the sakme i didnt notice till the last time i washed it. Tink its from when i lived in the sticks for a year. How much does it cost?

TjP 29-05-09 05:13 PM

Sounds like a daunting amount of work to be done! It'll be a great feeling though, when it's all done :)

Waxoyl is something I've been meaning to do to mine, since the Mk2s have F all protection underneath. Mk1 shouldn't be too bad under there I wouldn't think, but it's a worth while job even so!

Phate 29-05-09 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjP (Post 106992)
Sounds like a daunting amount of work to be done! It'll be a great feeling though, when it's all done :)

Yes it is, but its off the road so might as well do it all really :) Otherwise I'll only be tinkering with it later!!!!

I'm also tempted to get the door cards done in blue by that company posted not long ago. Lets see how business goes :)

MG TF steering wheel I'm also tempted by....argh

Phate 30-05-09 04:09 PM

Update:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 106980)

A) Jack it up and put it nice and high on axle stands - Done
B) Take front wheels off - Done
C) Remove front bumper - Done
D) Remove headlights and detango them - Headlights are off, detangoing this weekend
E) Fit uprated rear brakes. - Done
F) Refit rear bumper (it's been knocked so is sagging) - Done

:)

Jay-ZS+ 30-05-09 04:26 PM

Hope you have some silvertech indicator bulbs to go in as MUCH easier to do when the headlights are off!!!

Phate 30-05-09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ (Post 107154)
Hope you have some silvertech indicator bulbs to go in as MUCH easier to do when the headlights are off!!!

Ah...no I don't...

I was gonna wack them in the oven to melt the glue so I could take the orange lens out...does it not have an orange bulb in it then?

Jay-ZS+ 30-05-09 04:37 PM

Yer theres an orange filter that you want to remove spray the reflector silver, But with the orange bulbs you get a "fried egg" look so the silver bulbs prevent that :)

Phate 02-06-09 04:50 PM

Cheers Jay, shall get the bulbs ordered :)

Went to work on it today annnd....Dad got called away :( - till saturday :cry:

However, I did get a text from him saying get the Air con man to degas the system so we can take the engine out on Saturday/Sunday :D

\o/ < thats me

Jay-ZS+ 02-06-09 05:45 PM

If its any help mate I will hopefully (fingerscrossed) be fitting the MK2 bumper this weekend just need to get hold of another light, But will be taking my old headlights off they are already deoranged with the bulbs!

Phate 02-06-09 08:14 PM

Oh really? Fancy a straight swap?

Jay-ZS+ 02-06-09 08:30 PM

Well to be honest was hoping to sell em could do with the cash at the mo

Phate 02-06-09 08:34 PM

No worries matey, I'll just detango my ones :)

Phate 04-06-09 02:02 PM

So today a part I forgot I had ordered turned up....replacement passenger door handle :D

So tomorrow I'm going to take it, the bonnet and the bumper down to a few bodyshops and book them in somewhere to get them painted. The bonnet and front bumper are stone chipped to oblivion nand the handle is black haha.

stamford 04-06-09 04:31 PM

Shouldn't you have been someone else today? ;)

Phate 05-06-09 01:50 AM

Yes I should have Mr Mick but I had some work come in which I had to take!

stamford 05-06-09 07:13 AM

Can't be turning work down, no problem.

Phate 05-06-09 10:23 AM

Bloody typical, it's dead all week then I get 3 calls come in on Thursday.

On a brighter note Dads back today so I'm gonna go over and its grease monkey time :D

peterzs 05-06-09 10:37 AM

If youve got all this work on the car, how come your always on here. Not leaving it to your dad to do are you???:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Phate 05-06-09 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 108016)
If youve got all this work on the car, how come your always on here. Not leaving it to your dad to do are you???:smile2::smile2::smile2:

I can only work on it when my Dad is there as I don't know what I'm doing. And my Dad is a very busy man :( :)

arwilson80 05-06-09 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 108017)
I can only work on it when my Dad is there as I don't know what I'm doing. And my Dad is a very busy man :( :)

Chain him to the car when you get him there... :D

stamford 05-06-09 12:20 PM

Get stuck in, best way to learn!

Phate 05-06-09 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 108035)
Get stuck in, best way to learn!

When its something like my car I'd rather someone who knows what they are doing do it for me, don't want to risk it falling to bits hehe.

ZS 05-06-09 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 108056)
When its something like my car I'd rather someone who knows what they are doing do it for me, don't want to risk it falling to bits hehe.

Its an MG... isn't that normal? :p :tease:

Phate 05-06-09 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 108058)
Its an MG... isn't that normal? :p :tease:

I meant even moreso :p

stamford 05-06-09 02:24 PM

If you did get stuck in Jake, you would as qualified as the Friday afternoon shift at Longbridge ;)

Phate 05-06-09 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 108061)
If you did get stuck in Jake, you would as qualified as the Friday afternoon shift at Longbridge ;)

Thats what worries me!

Phate 07-06-09 02:52 PM

Update :)

Did lots today!

The front end bar the wings is almost completely stripped and we found out where the car is bent from the original accident :) - Cant believe we hadnt spotted it earlier its so blatantly obvious (well most things are when its just a shell haha)

So when the engine comes out (only being held in by a driveshaft and engine mounts now) (everything else has been disconnected) the car is going to 'metal Mick' :D to be jigged and straightened like it should have been when originally repaired - should sort my panel gaps out ;)

When dismantling we also noticed how badly the car had been repaired - bolts missing bits hanging off - its worrying!

Anyway pics to follow later as Im about to eat for the first time in 36hours :blink: and I'll show you where the car is bent.

Hopefully get the engine out tomorrow or Tuesday :)

afcbadam 07-06-09 03:02 PM

jake, out of curiousity how much is all your recent work costing?? would it not have been cheaper to buy another zs??

Phate 07-06-09 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afcbadam (Post 108498)
jake, out of curiousity how much is all your recent work costing?? would it not have been cheaper to buy another zs??

Gearbox I paid £50 for, driveshaft £30, clutch Ive had for ages can't remember how much I paid for it. The jigging is going on Dads 'tab' as is the paintwork (whole front end respray) So not that much really. The cambelt kit we paid £140 when but again Dads 'tab' (handy that)

Plus it gets to a point when you've put so much effort and time into a single car you just don't want to buy another. Plus I know my engine is very healthy from when it was dyno'd.

Eventually it will be a track toy only as I won't get anything for it if I sell it.

peterzs 07-06-09 03:12 PM

sounds like a lot of work, lucky to have a dad who is hands on, save a few bob. You will be even faster round Brands when its all straight.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Phate 07-06-09 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 108501)
sounds like a lot of work, lucky to have a dad who is hands on, save a few bob. You will be even faster round Brands when its all straight.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Hehe if I had the money to buy something sensible and boring I'd strip it to the max and it really would be a track only toy.

One day :-) applied for a new contract on Friday, if I get it...big money :D