theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I need a kick up the arse........... (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22533)

Dan1971 10-09-12 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytona365 (Post 271629)
Sounds like an idea...........could get Stamford to change my plugs for me lol..

I bet his back's fecked today after doing the plenum.....

stamford 10-09-12 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 271653)
I bet his back's fecked today after doing the plenum.....

Wasn't ideal but it's not too bad actually, the rest of me aches though!

Would anyone else be interested in another 'do stuff' meet at my place?

Got space, tools and the okay from 'the boss' :laugh:

daytona365 10-09-12 09:23 PM

Sounds like a new Style of meet............"FIX IT AT MICKS"

Food was awesome too...............

Mind you, drive down and back no probs, go to put my car away in garage and my EML light comes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M17TT180 10-09-12 09:45 PM

You could fix my seat mount :kissing2:

welshone 10-09-12 09:50 PM

I'm up for the next one. If only to learn how to do something new. :)

Dan1971 11-09-12 06:41 AM

It's a good call Mick and to be fair - you do have the space and knowledge. My wheels are gonna put me out of the equation in terms of doing more to mine, but I'm in for another gathering. Induction etc will be following lowering springs in the new year.

Really enjoyed getting involved and my hands dirty - or rather - your gloves ... ;)

stamford 11-09-12 07:17 AM

Well this little meet went so well and was so productive it seemed to be a good idea. More fun when there's a few of you.

peterzs 11-09-12 07:55 AM

Many hands make light work, comes to mind, better than trying to line the gearbox up laying on your back and pushing it up with your knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZS 11-09-12 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 271705)
Induction etc will be following lowering springs in the new year.

Dan... I have a possibility of some lowering springs (currently in my garage) I am going to test tif them to the suspension on the salvage ZS at some point and if they fit... well I was going to sell them as a whole :) (Spring rates etc are all correct for this car, should give a 40mm drop apparently)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytona365 (Post 271663)
Mind you, drive down and back no probs, go to put my car away in garage and my EML light comes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can bring my EML eliminating tools along as well if wanted (Bluetooth and phone or Full ELM interface)

daytona365 11-09-12 04:22 PM

Wow all these offers. Im tied up for the next few weekends, otherwise would take you and mick up on offer. Going see rally this wkd, then the mgr london meet wkd after. So getting my local mgr garage to have a look at light. Maybe next month, if i avoid scouse coaches!

M17TT180 11-09-12 04:29 PM

I'm up for this, wanna get out and meet some fellow zs'ers!

talkingcars 11-09-12 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytona365 (Post 271758)
..........So getting my local mgr garage to have a look at light.........

I thought you worked for a garage, any OBD2 scanner will read the code and clear the light.

Dan1971 11-09-12 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 271732)
Dan... I have a possibility of some lowering springs (currently in my garage) I am going to test tif them to the suspension on the salvage ZS at some point and if they fit... well I was going to sell them as a whole :) (Spring rates etc are all correct for this car, should give a 40mm drop apparently....

Great call - but like I said - I'm skint. If they work OK, Ill def take them. My new wheels are fitted with 205 40s so they're gonna look small in there until it's lowered.

daytona365 11-09-12 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 271778)
I thought you worked for a garage, any OBD2 scanner will read the code and clear the light.

:ohmy: Wouldnt let my our mechanics anywhere near my car........... They cant even fix Fords, and thats what they trained for. I will stick with mates, who are all ex MGR boyz..........

ps. Anything through our workshop, has to be put through the books, so I would have to pay the going rate for diagnostics £85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talkingcars 11-09-12 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytona365 (Post 271842)
:ohmy: Wouldnt let my our mechanics anywhere near my car........... They cant even fix Fords, and thats what they trained for. I will stick with mates, who are all ex MGR boyz..........

ps. Anything through our workshop, has to be put through the books, so I would have to pay the going rate for diagnostics £85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How times change - when I was a driver for our local VAG dealer the mechanics would lend me their tools and I could use the workshop at weekends when the sales dept was open.

daytona365 11-09-12 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 271849)
How times change - when I was a driver for our local VAG dealer the mechanics would lend me their tools and I could use the workshop at weekends when the sales dept was open.

Too true. In my old garage, I worked with a gr8 set of lads. On my saturday in, I could ask them to leave their toolboxes open, then ask the owner if I could use the ramps. Would get my car in the workshop, lift it up on 4poster, adn do any work I needed to do, in pefect conditions, with all the tools required.
Then once everything was done, toolboxes shut, workshop all locked up, I would then ask the owner if I could use the valletting bay,a dn I wash and clean my car.

As long as I asked him, the answer was always "yes"....No one does anyone favours now. It all has to be done "through the books" for Health and Safety.........................Just to screw staff for money I say. I mean, to get MOT done at my garage, I pay the full public rate of £58! I have to pay now to get tyres fitted! Think I will wait now until I go and see Stamford and the "fix it meet".......

stamford 12-09-12 07:06 AM

Those days are long gone, I used to be able to do things similar, use facilities etc, not now. £58 for an MOT! WTF! I have never paid more than £35, I must be lucky then!

Plus I hate garages, I can count on one hand the number I would trust with any of my cars. Been on the wrong end of too many bad jobs and that includes main dealers. It only takes one bad job and all hell breaks loose.

Dan1971 12-09-12 08:02 AM

Paid £35 for my last couple and all booked on line with F1. Decent enough guys. Would get them to do any work, but an MOT is just checking stuff. even still, the last one i had done elsewhere was £25 booked in advance, but when I went to pay - they went - "yeah mate your headlamp needed adjustment - so we just did it for you for an extra tenner ! " ..... Really ....

And ... who needs garages anyway when we've got a "stamford" to direct and check, and sets of willing hands to get things sorted - for some similar effort for others in return....

M17TT180 12-09-12 08:15 AM

I can bring the sandwiches and my learning cap.

stamford 12-09-12 09:06 AM

Yes, direct and learn sessions for those that wish to have a go but want a little helping hand when out of the comfort zone, best way to learn.

daytona365 12-09-12 09:24 AM

Get my mot done by local garage, been going for years. Cant see why work charges the full rate. Must lose so may customers. This new stamfords all hands garage is one of the big plus points of this site. Im up for another session

DuckFeet 12-09-12 12:52 PM

I'm sorry I missed this, I would have liked a demo on how to swap a gearbox. If the boss and the little-boss-in-training (3 weeks old!) let me free I can contribute gas soldering iron and soldering skills, EML clearing, puny arms to laugh at, a breaker bar longer than an mx-5 and a v dirty car to practice cleaning on. Any welders in on this thing?

Glad to see you got the kick up the arse you required, how much do you miss the torsen now you have the lightened fly?

Re the women-folk, how big is your kitchen and what are the chances of having a similar knitting*-club or something going on inside? would make a day trip out for those that might nto let us out to play.

*Or whatever women like to do these days. I jest, I'm not really a 1950's throwback but I don't like abaondon the missus and the babycare duties.

stamford 12-09-12 01:05 PM

Probably not a good idea for in-house gatherings as my three Dalmatians would not agree with too many strangers! Not the sort of dog you can ignore or stick in a room and hope to be quiet!

peterzs 12-09-12 01:10 PM

Maybe worth dropping wives off at Gunwharf Quay and picking up later.

Long as you dont leave the credit cards with them!!!

stamford 12-09-12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 271930)
Maybe worth dropping wives off at Gunwharf Quay and picking up later.

Long as you dont leave the credit cards with them!!!

:laugh: yea like that'll work! From experience they are not that daft!

Jay-ZS+ 12-09-12 02:25 PM

Pity I work sundays always up for a hands on working lunch!

stamford 15-09-12 07:19 PM

Update, spent some time on the zed today and it is all sorted and ready to unleash the beast on the roads! Took the clutch slave pushrod off today and had a threaded sleeve made up and after measuring the one I took off I wound the new one on and added 6mm to the travel and the bite is where I want it. I'll get this drawn up when back at work and post a picture up for all to use if you want an adjustable clutch.

Had to repair my power vis as that was playing up and now the lights are doing what they should, so back to full power and torque steer!

Also bought a flyeyes kit for the Discovery and fitted them today, will post up tomorrow on this, will look at maybe doing the zed.

So all's good! :D

peterzs 15-09-12 07:32 PM

Glad the kick worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great that the Beast is back to full power.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

grimmy 15-09-12 07:35 PM

Good to here the beast is back to her best and how cool is fly eyes.

stamford 16-09-12 07:57 PM

Did some more today and fitted another set of door cards, early ones with the top matching trim, thanks Sam :thumbsup: Looking good.

Also fitted my new stereo, went for something different and bought this, iphone docking type.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/car-enter...cmd310_05/prd/

First impressions are very good, neat unit and decent sound too.

Fly eyes are good, was looking at doing the rear light clusters and front indicators, should have enough left over to do them.

big_wasa 16-09-12 08:12 PM

The only time my car see's a garrage is for Mot and tyres. And I hate that.

I do all my own stuff but I need a kick up the arse. 21 hours overtime this week so ive been a proper couch potato today but I did fit my decat on monday night.

Jobs to do and I have the bits.

Fit Viz Kit
Fit new rear seat base cover
Full service and belts

Get the lotus 7 through Iva.

crap there is another job I will have to visit a garage for and thats an air con regas.

Jobs my mates have got lined up for me

Skyline rear track rod ends. (What a crap design any one done them before ?)

Corsa O2 sensor.

Zs180 brake shudder, maybe tyres he is a tight b####d :laugh:

talkingcars 16-09-12 08:15 PM

The earlier door cards are so much nicer.

I was impressed when we conected my daughters iPod to my kenwood - personally I wouldn't be without the bluetooth facility.

daytona365 16-09-12 10:30 PM

Gr8 to see the ZS back to his prime. Well worth the ass kicking. Its such a nice car, it has to be loved. And plenty of us here to help love it. The run through the tunnel was worth the trip down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stamford 17-09-12 07:22 AM

It still has a few little jobs to be done on it due to its age and useage as it is a well used zed and not a garage laden one. Sits out in all weathers etc. It's getting to the point where I need to start replacing the bushes etc for polys and tighten up a few other items to extend its life.