theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   It died on the way home (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=27870)

tallgeese 21-05-14 07:47 PM

Have any of you guys had problems with your speedo sender sensor I have had mine replaced and the engine light is on again so checked the error code and it's the same issues with the sensor but as it's brand new I'm having my doubts.

talkingcars 21-05-14 08:16 PM

What did they replace where?

tallgeese 21-05-14 09:51 PM

The bill says the speed sensor, I assume it's the one on the gear box.

talkingcars 22-05-14 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallgeese (Post 339189)
The bill says the speed sensor, I assume it's the one on the gear box.

Oh, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the ZS got a signal from the N/S/R ABS sensor via the ABS ECU.

talkingcars 22-05-14 04:47 AM

I've checked, some do, I'm not sure which though.

petet16 22-05-14 06:17 AM

What error code is it showing ?, chafed wiring sounds like a possible cause.

tallgeese 22-05-14 09:16 AM

I dont know what the code is the guy at the garage just showed me what it said on the screen of his reader. Im putting it back in middle of next week to be investigated further. Seems strange as the speedo has never actually stopped working.

Dan1971 22-05-14 11:12 AM

So there wasn't a fault when you left the garage but there is now ?

tallgeese 22-05-14 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 339209)
So there wasn't a fault when you left the garage but there is now ?

It went in with an engine light on the dash came back as bad sensors speedo n exhaust both changed, now engine light is back with speed sensor error again ;)

Dan1971 22-05-14 12:52 PM

I'd have a go at disconnecting the battery and leave it for 20 minutes. Connect it up again and see what happens.

tallgeese 25-05-14 12:14 PM

With regards to the water in the pass side foot well after sealing the vent under the scuttle panel where else could water enter through? I don't use the air con so im guessing that's not anything to do with the entry point and under the fan is now dry but the under side of the carpets is still wet as is the lower part of the black lining on the fire wall.

On the plus side the only point of water entry im my boot is now from somewhere above the inner wheel arch which i cant get at to seal.

MG ZS STE 25-05-14 12:36 PM

I was getting a lot of water in the NS footwell, thought it might be the sunroof. Had the windscreen replaced last week as my old one had more than 3 chips so they wouldn't repair it. Whilst it was off I inspected the heater vent lip under the scuttle panel and also checked the drains were clear, no problems there. Put a bead of sealant around the lip even though looked solid (not like my old one). Since then no water so I'm wondering if it was the screen?

tallgeese 25-05-14 01:35 PM

My scree looks all dry its strange its only the lower parts of the footwell, the carpet was saturated so im drying that but its the what i assume is sound proofing that has me puzzled as its only wet at the lowest point and there is no sign of water entry......

MG ZS STE 25-05-14 02:47 PM

The seal at the bottom of the door (actually attached to the door) let's in a lot of driving rain if it's come loose or is improperly fitted, if that helps. Mine had come off 3 of the clips, you could hear the road noise more because of it. That soaked the carpet on the passenger side and creeped up the sound deadening on the bulkhead. Oh how these cars test us :bounce:

tallgeese 25-05-14 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG ZS STE (Post 339363)
The seal at the bottom of the door (actually attached to the door) let's in a lot of driving rain if it's come loose or is improperly fitted, if that helps. Mine had come off 3 of the clips, you could hear the road noise more because of it. That soaked the carpet on the passenger side and creeped up the sound deadening on the bulkhead. Oh how these cars test us :bounce:

Cheers I shall take a look at that next 😁

tallgeese 26-05-14 09:51 AM

UPDATE TIME

List of issues i have found so far:

01: The boot is sagging and seems to be missing a few clips - Nearly sorted just need to replace two missing metal clips off the brackets

02: The rear bumper is loose on the drivers side- Been told this is a common thing due to a previous owner removing the bumper and breaking a flimsy bracket that is unimportant

03: The spare wheel well is full of rust and has been painted with what looks like under seal - Cleaned up as much rust as i could and painted to prevent further rusting, but need to get a hole welded up but its only small so thats ok ;)

04: The rear door handles are both the wrong colour for the car - Same need to find two royal blue handles or get these repainted.

05: There is something rattling on the drivers door but not sure what it is - Someone left a washer in the door!

06: Part of the front bumper is being held on by a cable tie but cant see very well what part - Not looked at this any further yet :blink:

07: The center console does not seem to be fit right - Will be sorted when i paint it :laugh:

08: The clock and dash lights in general are all very dim - Bulbs need changing and clock is on its way out and doesn't light up.

09: Exhaust pipe is too short for the car it's about 4inches too short - Pipe extended to its proper length:punk:

10: Metal hub that the fuel pumps go into is rusted to smeg - Replaced with a less rotten one (£35 for part and fitting)

IM GETTING THERE!

peterzs 26-05-14 10:31 AM

getting there.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

tallgeese 07-06-14 05:20 PM

Has anyone found water in the rear passengers foot well? if so where does it enter through as i have found mine is soaked and that's where the front foot well is filling from :(

talkingcars 07-06-14 05:44 PM

Check the sunroof drains (if you have a sunroof) and the damp proof membrains behind the door cards.

tallgeese 07-06-14 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 340293)
Check the sunroof drains (if you have a sunroof) and the damp proof membrains behind the door cards.

No sunroof and i have poured buckets of water over the door and it seems to be ok strange its only the passenger side.

Skillen 07-06-14 05:56 PM

When I had the carpet out of mine I noticed that here is a straight path from front to rear foot wells.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psa9ec3328.jpg

So it may well be the rear isn't actually leaking

tallgeese 07-06-14 06:02 PM

Its deffo the back this time all the front bulk heads are dry as is the front of the carpet its the center section of the front passenger side carpet where the channel from the back runs and the whole rear passenger side of the carpet is soaked but i only found this today when i decided to check it.

peterzs 07-06-14 07:04 PM

certainly loads of water getting in somewhere.

Time to get the hosepipe out.

:hmm::hmm::hmm: