theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   My ZS T series conversion. (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=24843)

petet16 29-03-13 10:09 AM

Good work form you and Vard there, the joints will swap no problem, they're the same size and the same number of splines, how many teeth are the abs rings on the 420 cv joints, did the 420 have electric rear windows, they would swap into the zs if it doesn't already have them.

Din 29-03-13 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 302074)
Good work form you and Vard there, the joints will swap no problem, they're the same size and the same number of splines, how many teeth are the abs rings on the 420 cv joints, did the 420 have electric rear windows, they would swap into the zs if it doesn't already have them.

Yep just checked the part numbers lol, thats fine as i will use the Mg outer CVs as they apparently have just been replaced !!

I went to start taking the electric windows out of the 420... then found the ZS already has them :mml:

petet16 29-03-13 10:25 AM

Cool, parts bin engineering, you gotta love it.

Another small thing I've just thought of is the plastic mud shield in the l/h rear wheel arch, it got deleted off the zs's at some point but should still be on the 420, it protects the fuel filler pipe.

petet16 29-03-13 10:28 AM

oh yeah, while I remember the speedo drive is off one of the rear abs sensors on the zs I think, it is on the mk2, and I think the mk1 is the same.

Din 29-03-13 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 302079)
oh yeah, while I remember the speedo drive is off one of the rear abs sensors on the zs I think, it is on the mk2, and I think the mk1 is the same.

Now, this is another slight concern... but, if i use all that 420 loom... then surly it would then take the speedo reading from the gearbox...

I i was to keep the ZS loom and modify it (would have to work out how first) then i could use the zs instrument cluster... and the speedo would come from the ABS ?

petet16 29-03-13 11:15 AM

The problem I can see with taking the speed signal from the gearbox sensor is wether the zs speedo will recognize it.

Din 29-03-13 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 302081)
The problem I can see with taking the speed signal from the gearbox sensor is wether the zs speedo will recognize it.

Oh it wouldnt.. hence why you use the 400 clocks too .. but they dont look as nice as the ZS ones.

Dan used the 400 clocks but then changed the dial faces to bring it up to date.

petet16 29-03-13 11:39 AM

I think it would be better to use as much of the zs loom as possible, and just use the parts of the 420 loom that you need.

I didn't wire mine so I don't know how much work is involved in mixing the parts of the 2 looms.

Din 29-03-13 12:30 PM

Hmm.... im starting to think you might be right, only because i really want the ZS clocks... and i just stipped both of them down and they are totally different.

talkingcars 29-03-13 12:42 PM

When I rebuilt the loom on my T16 conversion after the mess zippy made I noted the wiring colours and posted them on my website - http://home.btconnect.com/talkingcar...engineloom.htm

The colours are different on the different models but the functions are the same, you'll just have to identify the colours in the looms you are using to get a start.

Just to further complicate matters the cars I used were both dizzy and you are working with wasted.

IIRC the actual feed to the speedo on the ZS comes from the ABS ECU which in turn takes the info from the wheel sensor. If you are using the 400 dials you will need the sensor from it's gearbox, this is different to the Ti.

Not sure how you cruise control works but if it is like the system on the KV6 which uses the same engine bay components there will be a couple of control modules and lots of wiring in the loom so this might sway me to use that loom as much as possible.

Have you taken the exhaust off the 400 or are you using the one from the Ti?

I would be tempted to take the door cards from the 400, especially if the ones in the ZS don't have the colour panels. Also the rear winders and looms are worth taking as you'll be able to sell them.