theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   XPG 180 update (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=31413)

p_b82 15-11-18 07:08 PM

nicely done decision wise there :D

mattie007 15-11-18 07:21 PM

Well I've had her for nearly 2 years now and loved every minute. I've always wanted one and I don't think I will find another with that spec and condition in the future. Still tempted to get the eibach springs fitted to make the ride and handling better but it sits really nice on the motos. Still has some electrical gremlins but booked back in next week. Thought I had got to the bottom of it but the battery is just dead every time I try and start her up (new battery which has been tested so its not that) One other thing, the tyres keep going flat every few weeks but theres no signs of a puncture. Could it be the valve caps? It has them metal eBay type ones fitted.
Im on the back up list to book onto one of Rockinghams last track days in December, fingers crossed someone pulls out!

talkingcars 15-11-18 08:30 PM

It won't be the valve caps, the valve seals internally.

Street Elite 15-11-18 09:35 PM

If it's still on the same tyres then it could be the seal from tyre to rim. They can leak if the rim isn't 100%.

Drew

p_b82 17-11-18 12:21 PM

for the dead battery I'd check the alternator...

they can fail on one of the 3 lines and not throw the warning lamp - they then draw current when the engine is off... doesn't take long to flatten the battery entirely.

mattie007 19-11-18 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 378719)
for the dead battery I'd check the alternator...

they can fail on one of the 3 lines and not throw the warning lamp - they then draw current when the engine is off... doesn't take long to flatten the battery entirely.

Cheers for the heads up, will mention that tomorrow. Funny you say that as someone at work mentioned the alternator.

mattie007 28-11-18 06:07 PM

Amazingly it was the battery...strange the garage didn't pick that up but at least its sorted. First drive today in about 3 months, 50 miles of mixed driving and all seemed fine apart from a couple of issues. One of the HIDs blew so I'll have to change that. Is it just a bulb or a whole unit?
Its also very difficult to engage gears, especially first, which needs a right shove. Could that be gearbox/clutch/sheddist kit? I need to really push down on the clutch but theres no sign of slipping or the clutch burning even when I got caught in heavy traffic for an hour.
I had planned to do a trackday at Brands with MGoT on Monday but just a little concerned that something will give way!
Having yellowstuff pads, braided hoses and alcon discs fitted at the weekend and the tyres will be taken off and resealed.

peterzs 29-11-18 09:36 AM

IS IT HARD TO GET REVERSE GEAR?

on the derv 1st and reverse were hard to get into and I got the clutch changed. It was fine after that.

Good luck if you go out on track. Is good fun.

:):):)

talkingcars 29-11-18 05:18 PM

Could just need a fluid change.

mattie007 29-11-18 06:44 PM

Just pulled onto the drive tonight and it popped out of gear and is now making a strange noise and there’s a strong burning smell.
To be fair, it was near impossible to get into first gear on the drive home but glad it went on the drive and not in traffic :(