theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Stamford’s ZS180 (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25692)

p_b82 14-11-16 01:37 PM

still glad to see that things a re ticking along, it's going to look good once done I'm sure :)

daytona365 16-11-16 08:47 PM

Looking good..

Lukeus101 17-11-16 07:29 AM

You should sell these as a kit Mick ;)

ZS Phil 17-11-16 06:07 PM

Wow, ain't no going back from that! Hope you get the results you hope for, can see the potential though.

stamford 10-12-16 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytona365 (Post 372783)
Looking good..

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeus101 (Post 372785)
You should sell these as a kit Mick ;)

No chance! Too much work involved and being brave with a cutting disc!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS Phil (Post 372788)
Wow, ain't no going back from that! Hope you get the results you hope for, can see the potential though.

No going back at all. Hopefully it will turn out close to where I want it. Still to cut the front arches yet.

Not much done lately, weather crap and low daylight hours. Scraped some more sound deadening from the floors, plenty more to remove. Car still won't fire up, now no power at all. Cabling needs investigating so could be the right time to strip the wiring loom of all redundant cables. Started to remove all SRS wiring. The way things are going I may well be working on this for some time. The plan was to get this ready for PoL 2017, not a chance now, no point in rushing it.

stamford 11-12-16 02:39 PM

Well after some more thought and looking at the car I have decided to gut the interior, strip it right back to the metal, remove the dash and strip what I can from the loom and tidy it up. May even relocate a few things to make it easier to trace etc. At least I will have the interior prepped for when a roll cage can be fitted at some point.

stamford 25-03-17 06:05 PM

Made the most of a few hours of sunshine. Stripped some more floor soundproofing. Jacked the rear back up on axle stands in readiness to trim and bond the rear arch extensions. It is looking quite unloved! Hopefully the better days are coming to get stuck in and make progress.

Dan1971 25-03-17 08:41 PM

"Do stuff" BBQ in the summer maybe .... ?

stamford 25-03-17 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 374742)
"Do stuff" BBQ in the summer maybe .... ?

Yea up for one of those again, get stuff done!

daytona365 25-03-17 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 374743)
Yea up for one of those again, get stuff done!

We got plenty done last time.......:trampoline:

stamford 29-04-17 12:01 PM

Spent this morning sorting the rear arches. Fibre glassed the rear quarter arch sections to the bumper, quite pleased how they went, very rigid. I need to make up a small strap to connect the arch where it meets the shell or wing as cannot use the captive nut where the front edge of the bumper attaches to the wing. I have seen some sort of quick strap used but can't find them. Helps to remove quickly when required.

p_b82 29-04-17 12:05 PM

Will certainly be intrigued to see this when finished :)

stamford 29-04-17 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 375132)
Will certainly be intrigued to see this when finished :)

Me too!

stamford 29-04-17 02:40 PM

Oh well, that's the heater matrix, unit and blower gone, wasn't in the plan but decided to bin it all. Will look to get a lightweight unit from the likes of Demon Tweeks or Europa probably.

talkingcars 29-04-17 08:34 PM

Considered an electric heater instead, they are fitted to Audi cabs and I think you can get the same for race cars.

Also worth considering a heated front screen.

stamford 01-05-17 07:45 AM

Here's a few photos so far.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ps2vxltzuq.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...psn0qhv3v8.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...pspnvxxigm.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ps9clvc4yk.jpg

Rear bumper quarter extensions cut and fibre glassed to reinforce, quite happy with how they went, nice and stiff after a couple of layers. Filling and sanding ahead. Front arches next to chop out and weld in.

The rusty discs have been flex-honed and look like new, painted the hub areas and carriers whilst at it.

Mark S 01-05-17 09:43 AM

a couple of electric fans heaters will help keep the screen clear for a short while, assuming you've already layered up fogx etc.
If you had 3 pointing down from the upper roll bar and 3 pointing up from the dash you'd probably have an effective method of clearing the screen and keeping it clear.
Downside is, as track/race cars get hot inside regardless of the rain, the electric heaters also add to the heat.

There are versions that use engine coolant combined with a fan, but you may as well leave in the standard affair or bastardise it rather than remove it to fit a homebrew version.

whereas a heated screen will clear within minutes and stay clear for as long as its on, the rest of the car will be steamed up to the eyeballs once the fog-x has given up but the heated screen will not.

talkingcars 01-05-17 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark S (Post 375187)
.....whereas a heated screen will clear within minutes and stay clear for as long as its on, the rest of the car will be steamed up to the eyeballs once the fog-x has given up but the heated screen will not.

Keep the side windows open a fraction.

stamford 01-05-17 01:25 PM

I have in mind the Demon Tweeks version that uses a smaller matrix that plumbs into the OE pipework and this has a 3 speed 5kW fan unit behind it, Windows will have sliders both sides plus the small vent in the top of the rears. The OE set-up takes up half the dash and most of the parts are redundant, may as well start from scratch tbh. Not sure if a previously fitted heated screen can be re-used successfully, T16 has one, could swap them ;)

Mark S 01-05-17 03:37 PM

you could use a used heated screen if the fitter could remove it without damaging it.

ZS Phil 01-05-17 10:50 PM

Both screens I've had taken out broke so probably not worth the risk. Heated screen isn't cheap but the best way I think.
The arches look good, going to need some low offset wide wheels to fill them up!

talkingcars 02-05-17 08:07 PM

One advantage of the heated screen is weight, another is noise.

Dan1971 02-05-17 09:04 PM

What is it that you are actually trying to achieve with this Mick?

stamford 02-05-17 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 375209)
What is it that you are actually trying to achieve with this Mick?

What part? All of it. or the recent posts?

Dan1971 03-05-17 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 375210)
What part? All of it. or the recent posts?

The bodywork and I suppose the stripping out. Are you actually looking to make some sort of BTCC replica, track it, show it, look a bit mean popping to Tescos with it being road legal; Just wondering - what's the target with it?

stamford 03-05-17 09:10 AM

Seeing this is just the track car I may as well do what I can. Plus the pro-race wheels rub on my settings so decided to modify the wheel arches as I did when I raced hotrods on the ovals. BTCC kit will never happen so next best thing. So mainly track orientated with presence when on the road when used. At least it will be different.

Dan1971 03-05-17 10:38 AM

Just had a look at some of the BTCC images. I see why your are drawn to it especially taking into consideration your willingness and ability to modify the bodywork yourself. Fair play.

stamford 03-05-17 11:37 AM

The changes being made are not straight forward and need planning and some thinking before cutting metal or plastic. Seeing that I used to build cars and roll cages I guess it is more about being confident and knowing what you are doing and how to get around problems when they arise etc. If I can fit a V8 into a Vauxhall Chevette anything is possible!

Let's be clear here, it'll never be a show car! It is more to do with this is what you can do if you have a crack at it and fits its purpose. Plus if taken to the odd show it'll be a contrast to the really nice zeds we have on here and other forums etc.

daytona365 03-05-17 09:06 PM

Just as long as you never get rid, we will be happy..Its still a ZS, under all the mods....

p_b82 04-05-17 12:08 PM

I think there is a certain beauty in functional mods verses form ones anyway!

I had a mini debate on the Mustang forum about a guy who's got a 350R replica wheel - complete with the centre marker, which on a road car to me is utter pointless.

He then got into the needs/wants aspect and I pointed out on my ZS because I've wanted to X change I've needed to do Y change and each and all of them have served a purpose to make it "better" in terms of performance around a track - rather than look pretty....

The fact that it is off the raods because I've made mistakes along the way is neither here nor there :D

I think the car will look epic when done - and be fit for purpose too!

stamford 04-06-17 03:43 PM

Not much to report, lost interest tbh, got more pressing things on my mind. Even T16 has been untouched since PoL. I guess if and when things may start to settle or make sense I may find tinkering therapeutic. Now I can't be arsed, I have some time but no inclination.

Dan1971 04-06-17 04:57 PM

Understandable ... :console:

stamford 17-06-17 08:07 AM

Seeing that my mum has picked up a little (thanks to some drugs) I have decided to do some slow progress on the zed. I have bought a load of bits to progress the mods, aluminium for the floor plates and dash mods, in-line blower, ducting, brake line bits so I can finally fit the bias valve, weld-in seat rails etc.

peterzs 17-06-17 11:02 AM

Glad your Mums a bit better.

Time to take your mind off it all and start tinkering.

:group::group: :):):)

Dan1971 17-06-17 11:45 AM

Good news about your mum ...

stamford 17-06-17 12:04 PM

Off to see her now, too hot to work on the zed, did 2 hours and was a little warm and sweaty! Chequer plate floor looks better already, will take pics when done.

stamford 25-06-17 09:32 AM

It lives! :trampoline::thumbsup::hooray::clap2::D:mbounce:

Decided to rewire it and see if there was any life. It tried to start 1st time. Quickly killed it and removed fuel relay and fuse then turned it over until the oil light went off. Reconnected and fired up on the button. Not breathed any life since beg April 2016. Well happy and missed that beautiful rumble! Got alot more to do but seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

mattie007 25-06-17 10:36 AM

Great news Mick. Hope your mum is doing better.

Dan1971 25-06-17 04:30 PM

Good news. Well done.

sneekyparrot 26-06-17 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 375686)
It lives! :trampoline::thumbsup::hooray::clap2::D:mbounce:

Decided to rewire it and see if there was any life. It tried to start 1st time. Quickly killed it and removed fuel relay and fuse then turned it over until the oil light went off. Reconnected and fired up on the button. Not breathed any life since beg April 2016. Well happy and missed that beautiful rumble! Got alot more to do but seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

Excelleny news :trampoline::trampoline:

P.