theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The MOT thread (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19848)

daytona365 08-10-15 11:21 AM

Mine passed...Advisory on nearside rear tyre and nearside wheel bearing. Possibly connected......Xmas treat to new bearing and tyre.....

redzs 10-10-15 09:03 PM

Mine passed again with no advisories, but only 694 miles since last one!:blush:

stamford 11-10-15 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redzs (Post 364600)
Mine passed again with no advisories, but only 694 miles since last one!:blush:

Hardly surprising with those miles :D

grimmy 17-12-15 03:44 PM

Silver car has failed.as per usual the shitty rear brake calipers are a culprit and front to back brake lines excessively corroded and the real bombshell welding required to fill a hole at the front close to the jacking point:cry::cry:.

Hubbardy 17-12-15 03:49 PM

Probably seen this but worth a look if looking for a car

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

peterzs 17-12-15 04:49 PM

Oops, not good grimmy, still the cars are getting on a bit.

Hope its doable.

Had a new caliper o/s/r got fed up with it sticking on.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

talkingcars 17-12-15 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 366264)
...........and the real bombshell welding required to fill a hole at the front close to the jacking point:cry::cry:.

It is becoming quite common for rust in this area, especially on later cars.

Mines gonna fail on the n/s/r caliper and horn (failed relay in the BCU I think), hopefully nothing else but I'll make full use of the 10 working days, 4 weekend days and 3 bank holidays days to sort it - it gives me an excuse to get out of the house over xmas - LOL.

grimmy 17-12-15 05:38 PM

the brake lines and caliper while annoyin wouldn't really have been a problem but the welding is a real hassle.i have a friend having a go at that weather permitting tomorrow .needed the car for the weekend as well but now going to have to do the other work on it and hook or by crook it needs to be back on the road by Tuesday night as I need it to get to Prestwick airport in the early hours of wednesay morning as we fly out to the canaries for a week ove Christmas.bah bloody humbug.cant even drag the grey car out and use it as its mot is overdue as well.

JOHNDQ 17-12-15 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 366264)
Silver car has failed.as per usual the shitty rear brake calipers are a culprit and front to back brake lines excessively corroded and the real bombshell welding required to fill a hole at the front close to the jacking point:cry::cry:.

Hope it wasn't like this one....
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps5b1da78b.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps075504d9.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps40520d8e.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...psa298eca0.jpg

grimmy 17-12-15 06:44 PM

Luckily nowhere near that bad .

Dan1971 17-12-15 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 366271)
....cant even drag the grey car out and use it as its mot is overdue as well.

OK to drive it direct to an mot station as I'm sure you know....might get through....

Shame mate - hope the fix doesn't cost you too much. Nice break over xmas though - enjoy!

Maxfly 17-12-15 10:09 PM

Not good Grimmy, that is the worst spot for it to start. Hope itmcan all get sorted up in time for you to get away. The less stress the better for you bud!

grimmy 17-12-15 10:34 PM

Cheers guys it does suck but it's not like it's snapping in half or anything so it can be repaired and kept going for another year which means the grey one can have as much love lavished on it as I can to keep its greatness.I only bought it to see me through the winter and then I was going to see what I want to do with it.keep it as a runner for the Mrs,track it or break it while taking goodies first.either way I have had my money's worth out of it and if I have to throw a couple of hundred at it.it's still been a bargain either way.

talkingcars 21-12-15 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366270)

Mines gonna fail on the n/s/r caliper and horn (failed relay in the BCU I think), hopefully nothing else but I'll make full use of the 10 working days, 4 weekend days and 3 bank holidays days to sort it - it gives me an excuse to get out of the house over xmas - LOL.

Didn't fail on the caliper which is strange as the hand brake is very slow to release, front pads and discs were an advisory.

It did fail on the horn
and RUST in the drivers wheel arch, I think I should laugh about this after my previous post, but I do have the MIG welder and 2 terms of C&G welding under my belt.......

It also went down on insecure exhaust (apparently a temp fix of cable ties isn't acceptable - LOL) and a leaking exhaust which is probably linked to the missing rubbers.

The last advisory was "coating on headlights but does not effect beam pattern". This is actually the usual UV damage they suffer from.

grimmy 22-12-15 05:02 PM

235 quid lighter but the car is now legal again thank god.pretty much every component to do with the rear brakes apart from the actual calipers needed replaced.but all done now.

welshone 30-01-16 10:26 AM

Another 12 month ticket for the Silver 180, no advisories today :)

talkingcars 10-02-16 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366270)

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366352)
Didn't fail on the caliper which is strange as the hand brake is very slow to release, front pads and discs were an advisory.

It did fail on the horn
and RUST in the drivers wheel arch, I think I should laugh about this after my previous post, but I do have the MIG welder and 2 terms of C&G welding under my belt.......

It also went down on insecure exhaust (apparently a temp fix of cable ties isn't acceptable - LOL) and a leaking exhaust which is probably linked to the missing rubbers.

The last advisory was "coating on headlights but does not effect beam pattern". This is actually the usual UV damage they suffer from.

There are traces of something else on the headlights, I guess someone refurbished and sprayed them with some lacquer but most has pealed off.

I replaced the exhaust rubbers, replaced the bolts on the cat and squared up the exhaust. Two weeks later one of the mounts from the cat has snapped at the weld!

When I checked the rust it was no more than a pin hole so until the weather gets better it's been filled and stone chipped.

It went back in today to a different garage who don't do MOTs - pass with advisories for front discs and pads (going to do them soon anyway) and failed mount on the cat (decat going back on anyway).

Next MOT is June on the F so a few months for maintenance and modifying.

stamford 10-02-16 06:41 PM

The wife's MGF failed its yearly, both front lower arms worn and corroded, headlight poor, sidelight, emissions and insecure battery.

Well got two new arms delivered, not looking forward to doing those, subframe drop apparently. Got two good headlights coming via Paul Luti. Insecure battery had a talking to and now secure! Emissions is the new cat fitted in September, so that needs replacing under warranty. Now why couldn't this happen when I was out of work for three months when I had the time!

Dan1971 10-02-16 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 367745)
The wife's MGF failed its yearly, both front lower arms worn and corroded, headlight poor, sidelight, emissions and insecure battery.

Well got two new arms delivered, not looking forward to doing those, subframe drop apparently. Got two good headlights coming via Paul Luti. Insecure battery had a talking to and now secure! Emissions is the new cat fitted in September, so that needs replacing under warranty. Now why couldn't this happen when I was out of work for three months when I had the time!

That's got dodgy back and sick time written all over it. Pay someone else to do it.

Stephen 26-02-16 11:04 PM

Both the 45 and Aurora have passed this week :)

petet16 31-03-16 01:52 PM

Another passed for the Silver T16 :smile1:

peterzs 31-03-16 03:27 PM

well done.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Lukeus101 31-03-16 03:29 PM

Another year of boost :)

petet16 31-03-16 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeus101 (Post 369207)
Another year of boost :)

Oh yes, ptsssh :smile1:

Lukeus101 31-03-16 04:23 PM

I need T16 ZS :(

stamford 06-04-16 07:53 PM

Test day Thursday. Got a feeling it'll fail as it is getting on now. It won't be mechanical I hope but might be corrosion I think due to being laid up too long.

petet16 06-04-16 08:34 PM

Good luck, lack of use is not the best thing, it keeps the mileage down but not a lot else

stamford 07-04-16 12:53 PM

It failed. Brake imbalance front and rear. Strange as drives and stops fine. Even the last track day was very good. New calipers on the rear too plus the 4 pots up front. Time to scrap it!

Lukeus101 07-04-16 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 369366)
It failed. Brake imbalance front and rear. Strange as drives and stops fine. Even the last track day was very good. New calipers on the rear too plus the 4 pots up front. Time to scrap it!

Hmmm any idea what it could be?

petet16 07-04-16 05:37 PM

Funny you should mention scrapping it, a bloke on fb has just posted a tale of woe about his zs failing the mot and it being beyond him to fix it, it read like a catastrophic fail, until I read the fail sheet he posted a picture of, a suspension bush, and a mention of suspension nut locking devices missing, which I read as plain nuts being used instead of Nylocs possibly, so a financial outlay of maybe 20 quid for parts, and a bit of time, craziness

talkingcars 07-04-16 06:24 PM

He appears to have deleted the picture of the MOT sheet.

stamford 07-04-16 06:43 PM

Would anyone know what the brake test figures should be for the ZS in Ibs for front and rear? Curious as to what I am supposed to be achieving. I'm thinking of maybe fitting two bias valves, one for front to back and one for the front side to side for fine tuning once sorted.

petet16 07-04-16 08:42 PM

I'm not even sure where you'd find those figures, it seems an odd thing to have failed on, left and right imbalance is more common, but front to rear ??

petet16 07-04-16 09:00 PM

I've just had a read up on the proportioning valve operation, it didn't give any figures sadly, the front and rear brakes pass through the valve but it only alters the fluid flow to the rears, so from that it makes me think that the rears are below efficiency

stamford 07-04-16 09:29 PM

To clarify one of the rears is down so will need to check both calipers as the readings are quite low, one worse than the other. The fronts are imbalanced so need checking to see what's going on there. The bias valve is something I think would improve the system as a whole once sorted to enable an MOT pass. I reckon this stems from the 4 pot caliper issue I found where it appears they were not handed units. The front to rear is okay as still on the OE spec set up. I was looking to insert the valve to enable some control over OE.

tcb 180 09-04-16 10:58 AM

Age is but a number. Keep em going guys.

peterzs 13-10-16 03:10 PM

Thats another years fun for the ZS Derv.

Just a few advisories.

1) N/S/F Suspension mounting point showing some corrosion

2 & 3 ) Jacking points showing some corrosions

Guy said just wire brush and waxoyl should hold it for a few years, so thats next on the list.

not bad for a 12 year old car and 103.300 miles.

Rock on the YELLOW ones.

:):):)

stamford 13-10-16 03:49 PM

Can't complain with that Pete. Still going strong.

peterzs 13-10-16 03:55 PM

Reckon a MGCC MG's on Track at Goodwood would be good.

Dan1971 14-10-16 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 372333)
Thats another years fun for the ZS Derv.

Just a few advisories.

1) N/S/F Suspension mounting point showing some corrosion

2 & 3 ) Jacking points showing some corrosions

4) Respray in a decent colour

Guy said just wire brush and waxoyl should hold it for a few years, so thats next on the list.

not bad for a 12 year old car and 103.300 miles.

Rock on the YELLOW ones.

Good advice - especially No.4 ..... ;)