theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   My MG ZS Turbo.... (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=9535)

carmadbaker 21-09-09 05:41 PM

My MG ZS Turbo....

Okay guys and girls....its time to come clean.... I don't know whether any of you have twigged onto my "project" comments...
But as you may have already guessed i'm currently half way through my MG ZS TURBO project....
A bit of history
The plan originally was to buy an already turbo (T16) converted 1999 420 GSI.... it had a few parts on it which where worth alot of money and really made the car....then use the car as a track slag!
So in Jan' i parted with £500 and picked up my anthracite 420 GSI Turbo...SWEET! or not....on the way home it blew a core plug out and dumped its water out, overheated and stopped...opps!
The engine was due a rebuild anyway so i wasn't over worried....
Anyway as time passed i started stripping the 420 and started finding small swimming pools in the foot wells and boot....after hours of re-sealing lights, windows and doors....i found out the roof had rotted underneath the roof rack strips and hence was flooding my race car with water! doh!
This was the final straw and i stripped the car right back and scrapped it!

The next chapter
A red ZS V6 saloon became available, engine gone, suspension stripped, interior stripped and basically just a shell.... but nether-less a deal was struck and the shell was mine! woop woop!! :trampoline:
The ZS shell was going to be the new home for my T-series turbo lump after a complete re-build and beef up! :judge::pimp:
After days and weeks of work....the car currently stands as below:
-V6 wiring loom stripped from car (for sale!)
-Entire 420 wiring loom put in its place
-New red monaco seats
-New carpets
-Suspension assembled
-Interior 95% back together
-Engine stripped and being completely overhauled.

Fun bit!
So thats it so far....now the fun part...the TO DO list :D
-Bits to Order:
-Forged pistons
-Forged rods
-Gas flowed head
-DTA s60 ECU
-Heavy duty clutch
-660cc Injectors
-Standard engine rebuild parts!
-SPAX coilover suspension
-Up-rated head gasket and head bolts
-Larger turbo (undecided which!) possibly a Garret T23rs
-Tubular Manifolds with external wastegate
-Large front mount intercooler
-Possibly water injection system
-Lightened and balanced flywheel

I've already got piper fast road cams and vernier pulleys to go...:cylon:
The ECU im ordering has 2 selectable maps via a toggle switch (how cool is that!!) i.e economy and performance..... i'm such a kid.... stuff of my dreams though! ha ha!!

So thats currently where i stand with regards to the project :trampoline:
Im aiming for big figures, in an ideal world i would love 400bhp, but i would be more than happy with 300+bhp! (aim high shoot low!) (i know people are going to mention "uncontrollable on the road" "more than is actually EVER needed" but who cares.... i gotta 350bhp zed.....you don't! :tease: ha ha! no i do understand that it will be a complete pain the the backside to drive with that much power, hence the dual maps to bring the car down to a more manageable power level, but to have a Scooby slaying ROVER is a rover geeks dream! (like me :D)
I'll try get some pictures of it through the stages and post them up....
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0016.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0018.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0021.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0170.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0167.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0168.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0169.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0171.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../Photo0212.jpg

Ritchy 21-09-09 05:49 PM

sounds great mate, see what Quaife have in the way of diff's for it that should sort it out, want some pics up though! see it through the stages

carmadbaker 21-09-09 06:11 PM

while the box is out i am VERY tempted by a Quaife....might see how far the budget can stretch....

Ritchy 21-09-09 06:23 PM

i like quaifew a lot, my dad uses them sometimes, they have a lot of time for thier customers as well, sending out callenders, and when i started my apprenticeship they sent me a load of stickers for my box:D great company

grimmy 21-09-09 06:25 PM

looks like it's going to be a beast:happy2:

stamford 21-09-09 06:26 PM

As if we hadn't twigged Dan ;) Looking forward to the updates and progress. The shell looks familiar :D

fastmike 21-09-09 06:30 PM

I always thought the T16 was made for the ZS... I,l keep an eye on this project ... Let me know when its ready to test..... I have a 310 BHP Scooby ready and waiting lol

carmadbaker 21-09-09 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastmike (Post 121195)
I always thought the T16 was made for the ZS...

Could not agree more! lovely engine and soooo tunable! crazy bosses at Rover strike again!
Quote:

Originally Posted by fastmike (Post 121195)
I,l keep an eye on this project ... Let me know when its ready to test..... I have a 310 BHP Scooby ready and waiting lol

ha ha that sounds like fun!! be a perfect test!! its a deal winner buys the cokes! ha ha!:pepsi:

mattie007 21-09-09 07:04 PM

Looking good!
Is the red one just parked on a load of bits and bobs!? :smile2:

carmadbaker 21-09-09 07:28 PM

lol! it looks like that doesn't it ha ha!!

Dave ZS-X 21-09-09 07:37 PM

brilliant mate, that will be awesome.

Dave

carmadbaker 21-09-09 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave ZS-X (Post 121211)
brilliant mate, that will be awesome.

Dave

Cheers dude :) we'll see how it turns out!:happy2:

Dave ZS-X 21-09-09 08:16 PM

deffo try and get an lsd in there.
im looking at the best way to up the power of mine atm tbh, doesnt need it but its just such a thrill when you plant the throttle, its addictive and you just want more !
i can get another 50 horses from a new intake manifold, new turbo manifold and a re map on my existing turbo without raising boost....or do i just go the whole hog, like totally mental all out loony tunes power, i dunno ,lol.

Dave

Southside_ZS 21-09-09 08:27 PM

I think the only reason MG-R dropped the T-series was because they couldnt get it to meet the new emission regulations.

Looks like its going to be a beast though matey.

Jay-ZS+ 21-09-09 08:29 PM

Im very jealous! Going to be very special,
Although talk about sweeping the mess under the carpet looks like youve swept the workshop floor under your car! lol

Ritchy 21-09-09 08:34 PM

lol!

carmadbaker 21-09-09 09:30 PM

ha ha!! not a clean person as you can see :-) lol

Go the whole hog dave....squeeze every last drop of bhp out of it, i can't wait to feel that sort of power under my right foot again.
Its got a torsen type b LSD but im thinking quaife.....

Ritchy 21-09-09 09:38 PM

quaife o yes:p

mattchew100 22-09-09 08:21 AM

my zr is now runing circa 300bhp+ and i have no trouble getting the power done so youll be fine matey :D

carmadbaker 22-09-09 03:46 PM

from the horses mouth :)
sweet thanks mate!! :D

carmadbaker 20-10-09 07:49 PM

just a little update....
Ordered the oversized forged pistons, rods, head gasket, and head studs today, should be here in a few weeks!
Next step is to order the gas flowed head, ECU, clutch, injectors and a few other bits i've probably forgotten! :D on its way now!! woop woop!! :D :D :D

Ritchy 20-10-09 07:58 PM

whats a gas flowed head, i heard but dunno what that is

Maxfly 21-10-09 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritchyp (Post 124150)
whats a gas flowed head, i heard but dunno what that is

i believe it's when the innards of the head are smoothed/opened out etc to improve gas flow:)

Jay-ZS+ 21-10-09 09:02 AM

Yer believe its much the same as ported and polished head but not sure whats the difference between a ported head and a gas flowed head is

Maxfly 21-10-09 09:26 AM

i think air is pumped round the head and measured to see what it rates at - think this is the 'gas flowing bit' :)

Marky Mark 21-10-09 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmadbaker (Post 124148)
just a little update....
Ordered the oversized forged pistons, rods, head gasket, and head studs today, should be here in a few weeks!
Next step is to order the gas flowed head, ECU, clutch, injectors and a few other bits i've probably forgotten! :D on its way now!! woop woop!! :D :D :D

Oh man, its going to be a monster!!!! Lol :super:

carmadbaker 22-10-09 10:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
just another little update.....
Finished off my gauge holders a few days back, its a bit different but i do like it! at the moment its displaying boost and oil pressure :) the backlight is red so that looks pretty smart too!
Don't know about the colour yet.....im going to see what its like in the car when its back together properly!
Looks pretty cool in my opinion though :)
What do you guys recon?
All the hard work was done mostly by RTSprint and Wilko, i just finished it and took the glory :)

wilko66 22-10-09 11:36 PM

looks good dude, not sure on the silk sheets though:yikes:

Jay-ZS+ 23-10-09 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilko66 (Post 124436)
looks good dude, not sure on the silk sheets though:yikes:

Was going to say exactly the same :clap:
Looks really smart how was the red bit made looks almost vacume molded!

Andy25 25-10-09 07:46 PM

Seems like a great project although it seems your going round the houses a little for the wiring lol.

Ritchy 25-10-09 07:57 PM

thats a job sooner or later for me is getting another k series, complete rebuild n porting and polishin the head to match an alloy manifold

carmadbaker 04-11-09 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy25 (Post 124809)
Seems like a great project although it seems your going round the houses a little for the wiring lol.

lol tell me about it! complete nightmare! by trade im an electrician so you expect better! however...being a sparky...i know the trouble with messing around with lots of cables and cutting into them etc...one dry solder could mess up the whole project....so i thought seen as both cars were stripped out anyway...just to swap the entire loom....its a proven workin loom in my old 400....still a pain in the a55 tho!! ha ha!!
I'll be contacting you guys soon for tubular s14 manifolds by the way ;)

carmadbaker 04-11-09 06:16 PM

well today MORE parts were purchased and my bank account emptied further! Doh!:oops::sad:
I've got the gas flowed head, SPAX RSX coilovers on order, and sunday i pick up a Garrett GT3071R Turbo charger, hell yeah:punk::mml:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...30/GT3071R.htm
After speaking to a few guys on Rovertech....their cars with similar specs have easily pulled between 360 and 440 bhp!!:crazy::hump:
Never going to need that much power EVER and it'll be ridiculous to drive...but hey....:mml:
We shall see......

Jay-ZS+ 04-11-09 06:37 PM

wow that will be some serious power! bet that will be fun!!

carmadbaker 04-11-09 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ (Post 126142)
wow that will be some serious power! bet that will be fun!!

Fun....DEFINITELY!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:
Dangerous..... DEFINITELY!! :hang::hang::hang::hang:
ha ha!!:clown:

Jay-ZS+ 04-11-09 06:47 PM

you will have something to rival daves reyland conversion with that kinnda power! How does the zs handle with the Tseries lump in much the same as the v6 I assume?

carmadbaker 04-11-09 07:03 PM

300bhp+ was always destined for the zeds! we are giving them what the chassis deserves :D
The handling i think will be compromised with the stupid amount of torque steer and the fact as soon as the turbo starts singing i'll probably be fighting HUGE amounts of wheel spin, it definitely won't be as smooth as the V6, and certainly won't sound as nice ;)
The late 400's deal with the t-series very well, EMS Ralphs blue one and my old black one are/were pretty good! But they have half the power i'm hoping for... we shall see in the ever nearing future! ;)

afcbadam 04-11-09 07:41 PM

alot of astra owners run the GT30. always giving good results.

a few are running the GT35 and are running over 500 bhp.

we need more pics

lewerty 04-11-09 07:43 PM

only just seen this thread nice 1 :) i do hope ur getting a dif with all that power i struggle sometimes with mine

carmadbaker 04-11-09 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewerty (Post 126153)
only just seen this thread nice 1 :) i do hope ur getting a dif with all that power i struggle sometimes with mine

Its got the standard Torsen type B fitted... but to be honest i know it won't be man enough :( so im slowly piecing together a diesel GB hopefully with a Quaife. WHEN my current GB implodes i'll be ready ;) hopefully...:unsure:

Quote:

Originally Posted by afcbadam (Post 126151)
alot of astra owners run the GT30. always giving good results.

a few are running the GT35 and are running over 500 bhp.

we need more pics

thats some big figures! they recon the 3071 is good for 460bhp which should just about do me fine.........for now :evil:
Any of your guys use an external wastegate setup?
And i'll get some pics up as soon as i take em :)