theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Members Cars (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The new MK 2 (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=26874)

drroberts490 26-11-13 12:11 PM

The new MK 2

1 Attachment(s)
Well I haven't been on here a lot recently as I have just returned from a hot and dusty tour of Afghan. I was looking forward to coming home and firing up the V6 of my MK1 having been off the road for 8 months, however I have been seduced by the good looks of the MK2 and taken the plunge, most of you will know the car previously owned by Dave (POMPSKI) it is a MK2 PBT Saloon in great condition with low mileage.
So I am now a 2 MG family but hopefully not for long as I need to sell on the MK1, I will be sad to see her go as I have had her since new but cannot afford to keep 2! I am hoping to get around the £1000 mark for her, is that aiming a bit high? She has the following spec:

76000 Miles
Red interior pack (Door cards, Gear surround & Dash)
Sheddist Clutch Kit
Alloy Catch tank
Rear electric windows (Tweeters in winder holes)
XPower cat back exhaust
VIS Indicators
Rear Headrests (ZR Fronts)

She has curbing to the alloys (can't blame the wife for all of it) and a few car park dinks but not in bad condition for a 10 year old car, any thoughts welcome guys.

MG ZS STE 26-11-13 12:28 PM

wow, side by side they're like 2 totally different cars ain't they. Can see how you were so easily seduced. Great MK2 that, nicer than my old'un and i'd have rated that in the top 10 MK2's out there.

drroberts490 26-11-13 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG ZS STE (Post 325983)
wow, side by side they're like 2 totally different cars ain't they. Can see how you were so easily seduced. Great MK2 that, nicer than my old'un and i'd have rated that in the top 10 MK2's out there.

She is in great condition and I intend to keep her that way, I have had to SORN her currently until I have re-homed the MK1. I am seriously considering keeping her as a Spring/Summer car and SORN during the Winter months. I even considered keeping the MK1 as a daily drive during the winter but can't really justify insurance on 2! as much as I would love to keep both!

Dan1971 26-11-13 01:37 PM

Welcome home.

Nice car you have there.

MG ZS STE 26-11-13 01:47 PM

Top 10% I meant, not top 10.

drroberts490 26-11-13 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 325988)
Welcome home.

Nice car you have there.

Thanks Dan, been home about 3 weeks and already getting under the Wife's feet! A good excuse to spend some time with the car(s). It is breaking me that I can't drive the new one but need to be sensible and wait until the MK1 is sold, she passed her MOT today and the guy in the garage actually inquired if I was selling, he said of all the cars he sees every day he really liked mine, may have to go and see him when she's all cleaned and polished up.

p_b82 26-11-13 03:51 PM

Good luck with the sale - but try giving some-one like Peter best a call, as you might be surprised at low mileage classic prices they offer on the 'modern' MG's.

I have had mine for almost 10 years, picked it up after it was 9months old, and I could not bear to trade up to a MK2 regardless of how much it tempts me at times!

POMPSKI 26-11-13 04:01 PM

Good hands :)

talkingcars 26-11-13 05:07 PM

the black mk2 is very sexy.

I need to sell my mk1 too.

daytona365 26-11-13 06:16 PM

I may be biased, but keep the MK1...........................

big_wasa 26-11-13 06:56 PM

I love the look of the mk2 but I still say the mk1 was a better built car.

talkingcars 26-11-13 07:14 PM

The pre project drive interior is of a much better quaility and it isn't hard to swap, took me a couple of days.

stamford 26-11-13 07:35 PM

Good to see it is in safe hands. Welcome home too, you have earned it.

andys1981 26-11-13 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 326020)
Good to see it is in safe hands. Welcome home too, you have earned it.

this ^^^^ proud of you mate enjoy the car!

drroberts490 27-11-13 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate it.
I done some online quotes for my MK1 last night................................ £260 from 'We buy any car', now I know they are not worth a lot these days but £260 is shocking, that must be pretty much scrap value!
'We want any car' came in slightly better with £449. Hopefully I will be able to sell her privately to someone who will appreciate it.
Have some work to do on her first though, had to put about a litre of coolant in her before I started her for the first time in 8 months, could this be evaporation? Never lost coolant like that before. Also noticed one of my VIS motors is sticking, whatever the right hand LED is on the indicator, can't remember?????

peterzs 27-11-13 10:01 AM

Great homecoming present.

Best of luck with the sale.

Plenty of MG groups on facebook nowadays and someone will appreciate a well looked after example.

Steven11 27-11-13 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drroberts490 (Post 326038)
I done some online quotes for my MK1 last night................................ £260 from 'We buy any car', now I know they are not worth a lot these days but £260 is shocking, that must be pretty much scrap value!
'We want any car' came in slightly better with £449. Hopefully I will be able to sell her privately to someone who will appreciate it.
Have some work to do on her first though, had to put about a litre of coolant in her before I started her for the first time in 8 months, could this be evaporation? Never lost coolant like that before. Also noticed one of my VIS motors is sticking, whatever the right hand LED is on the indicator, can't remember?????

I just sold my Mk2 180 with 70000 miles private for £600.

Dan1971 27-11-13 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven11 (Post 326061)

But that was plain nuts mate .... you gave that away.

Stephen 27-11-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven11 (Post 326061)

£1000 to cheap.

Dan1971 27-11-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 326063)
£1000 to cheep.

Absofuckinglutely....

talkingcars 27-11-13 05:17 PM

The problem with "we buy" and "we want" is that they will give you a price online but when you get there a man with a clip board will note every scratch and blemish and knock £s off the valuation, they hope that you have travelled some distance and are more worried about getting rid of the car than how much you get for it.

drroberts490 27-11-13 05:17 PM

A lot of these cars are going for silly money at the moment, I personally think they are worth a lot more but sadly not many people out there willing to pay the money they are worth. Seems to be too many getting broken at the moment, won't be long before they have all but disappeared from our roads.

talkingcars 27-11-13 05:19 PM

It happens to a lot of cars when they reach this sort of age.

You can either price the car to sell and not get what it's worth or price the car for what it is worth and work at achieving it.

drroberts490 27-11-13 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 326068)
The problem with "we buy" and "we want" is that they will give you a price online but when you get there a man with a clip board will note every scratch and blemish and knock £s off the valuation, they hope that you have travelled some distance and are more worried about getting rid of the car than how much you get for it.

I know what you mean, I only got the valuation out of interest, I would never let her go to one of those vultures

Maxfly 27-11-13 05:25 PM

It's great that zed has found another caring home, its an excellent example in an excellent colour.
Hang out for what price you want for a while, dependant on who is looking there is nothing to say you won't get what you want for it. I certainly am not balking at the price. I got £2700 for mine as did KevG? Fair enough that was between enthusiasts/buyers thatay knew the cars but it all worked out beautifully:)

Steven11 27-11-13 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 326062)
But that was plain nuts mate .... you gave that away.

It needs the belts done though. And if im honest the clutch needs attention as well

bowthruster 27-11-13 10:38 PM

Hi could you post up some pictures of the mk1 as im interested or pm the details.thanks

peterzs 28-11-13 09:54 AM

Think its just that our cars are now 10 years ish old.

To us, they are well worth a few thousand more but to the public at large they are just old bangers.

Not old enough to really get to the Classic Car stage yet, but give it a few more years.

Just have to look at old Mercs, Jags etc. £35 - £50 thousand pounds new, 10 year old £2-£3 thousand. Some of those look nice.

:pirate2::pirate2::pirate2:

drroberts490 28-11-13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drroberts490 (Post 326038)

Noticed she had a bit of dry coolant around the Thermostat this morning so looks like that is the cause of the missing coolant! Never done a thermostat change before but want to get it done before I sell her on. Also she was idling erratically but gave the Idle Control Valve a good clean with some Meths and that seems to have done the trick. Ironically took her for a spin and the VIS's were behaving perfectly! Just the right green LED sticks on every now and again, is this the Balance Motor(the one that controls the rod)?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowthruster (Post 326084)
Hi could you post up some pictures of the mk1 as im interested or pm the details.thanks

Gonna give her a good wash and polish at the weekend and will then post some pics, would be great to sell her to a fellow enthusiast and forum member.

bowthruster 28-11-13 04:17 PM

Ok no problem,missing my mg which died.....Bored already with my st170.Just aint the same:thumbsdown:

drroberts490 02-12-13 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowthruster (Post 326105)
Ok no problem,missing my mg which died.....Bored already with my st170.Just aint the same:thumbsdown:

Pictures and details of the MK1 here
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=26906

drroberts490 06-01-14 12:38 PM

Well I have started to make the MK2 my own, I have swapped the gear and handbrake gator for new black leather ones with red stitch which now match the seats and armrest cover. My Xpower gear knob has gone in and something I have wanted to do for ages is add a aftermarket Handbrake handle. I have been in contact with Daz and hopefully will add some etch style Xpower stickers to the flat portion either side of the handle.
[IMG]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...217_144102.jpg[/IMG]
Once the stickers have been added and the weather improves I will add some more photos.
Handbrake feels quite alien at the moment as not used to it being quite so big and chunky but hopefully I will get used to it, if not I can always revert back as I used a second hand handbrake off ebay and kept the original.

POMPSKI 06-01-14 12:43 PM

Looks good mate - Hope its going well for you :)

Dan1971 06-01-14 01:06 PM

Like the red stitch touches on handbrake and gear gaitors mate - where'd they come from ?

drroberts490 06-01-14 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POMPSKI (Post 329016)
Looks good mate - Hope its going well for you :)

Hi Dave, she is still SORN at the minute, still trying to sell my MK1. Plan on putting her back on the road in April and enjoying her over the Spring/Summer. Are you missing her yet??

drroberts490 06-01-14 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 329018)
Like the red stitch touches on handbrake and gear gaitors mate - where'd they come from ?

Hi Dan, they were from a guy on Ebay, he sells all sorts of Gaitors, I PM'd him and told him what I wanted and they were sent through in a couple of days. Link to him here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-LEAT...item41499a9e27
Think I paid £25 for the pair, I believe I got the armrest cover from him as well but that was a couple of years ago so can't be sure.

POMPSKI 06-01-14 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drroberts490 (Post 329020)
Are you missing her yet??

I'll always miss her mate. But luckily I own a car that I love just as much!

drroberts490 06-01-14 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POMPSKI (Post 329023)
I'll always miss her mate. But luckily I own a car that I love just as much!

Glad you're enjoying the new motor mate

Dan1971 07-01-14 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drroberts490 (Post 329022)
Hi Dan, they were from a guy on Ebay, he sells all sorts of Gaitors, I PM'd him and told him what I wanted and they were sent through in a couple of days. Link to him here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-LEAT...item41499a9e27
Think I paid £25 for the pair, I believe I got the armrest cover from him as well but that was a couple of years ago so can't be sure.

Cheers pal - messaged him this morning and gear gaitor, handbrake gaitor and armrest cover all on it's way for £35.

Sorry for copying, but it'll all go really well hopefully with another bit of kit that's also being made as I write ... ;)

drroberts490 07-01-14 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 329076)
Cheers pal - messaged him this morning and gear gaitor, handbrake gaitor and armrest cover all on it's way for £35.

Sorry for copying, but it'll all go really well hopefully with another bit of kit that's also being made as I write ... ;)

If someone likes what I have done and decides they want the same I see it only as a compliment............intrigued now as to what you are having made??