theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Parts For Sale (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sad Times = Breaking MGZS (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19662)

AceFactor 23-01-12 09:06 PM

Sad Times = Breaking MGZS

It has come to a sad time when I am having to break my MG ZS 1.8 120 - its the early signs of head gasket failure, and neither time nor funds allow me to keep her.

I am breaking anything and everthing pretty much. The spec is below, and the car is based in Ipswich, Suffolk. I'm happy to post bits if required, and I have loads of other MG/ROver spares knocking around, so if you need something specific please ask!

MG ZS 1.8 120 - Petrol

60kish miles on the clock

Original Head Gasket

PBT (Pearl Black) Paint Code - Pearlesceant Paint

Air-Con

Sunroof

Manual Gearbox

4x Straights 17" alloys, with good tread on tyres

4x Straights 17" alloys, need tyres

2x full sets of centre caps - metal & plastic

Centre Cap Removal Tool

Continental Spare Tyre (Emergency Tyre) - doesnt look like its ever been used.

Full tool kit in polosyrene mould.

New Maniverter

K&N Panel Filter - with Cleaning Kit

Half Leather Interior - Black and Grey

Carbon Fibre Gear Knob

180 Front splitter

180 Side Skirts

Solar Red Touch Up Pen & Aerosol Cans

I've attached some pictures below, however the car is dirty in the pictures. The only damage I am aware about on the car is the photo's for you.

Please feel free to text me on 07702 480467, request via this thread, or by PM.

Also for those who don't know me very well, I have had many dealings of eBay, themgzr.co.uk, and I know a few members in my local area.

Many Thanks,

Adam :)

http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/r..._R25/Breaking/

Supercharged_Z 23-01-12 09:21 PM

whats a maniverter?

Quadcam24 23-01-12 09:31 PM

lol, i thought that....sounds like some kinky anne summers toy!

talkingcars 23-01-12 09:44 PM

£50 or so on parts, 3 or 4 hours - head gasket fixed - less time than breaking a car.

Captain Peanut 23-01-12 10:10 PM

If you do end up breaking it I'd be interested to see how much you want for the K&N filter and a set of straights.

Do agree that you could probably get it fixed for very little seeing as you've caught it early.

Ritchy 23-01-12 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 234800)
£50 or so on parts, 3 or 4 hours - head gasket fixed - less time than breaking a car.

bit optimistic, only way to do a k is to do it properly, probably £100-£200 would be about the right amount to spend on parts

manivertor is just the exhaust manifold but it has the pre-cat in it too

ZS Phil 24-01-12 07:05 AM

Condition and price for splitter please:)

gary471 24-01-12 07:55 AM

This the colour of the car?
Saloon or hatch?
If its saloon in PBT im interested in the rear bumper. Price?

p_b82 24-01-12 08:17 AM

I have to say i am gobsmacked that you are breaking the car for HGF - after stating you dont have the time to fix it.

I know a few hundred quid is not easy to stomch if things are tight - but surely it is better to keep cars alive than breaking them. the rate at which people are going to break the ZS and ZR means we will run out of them that much sooner :(

ZS 24-01-12 08:17 AM

Why is everyone scrapping their cars when HGF is a fairly easy fix? I know you get more for the car if you break it.. but eventually there won't be any left!

Nats Whiskas 24-01-12 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 234817)
I have to say i am gobsmacked that you are breaking the car for HGF - after stating you dont have the time to fix it.

I know a few hundred quid is not easy to stomch if things are tight - but surely it is better to keep cars alive than breaking them. the rate at which people are going to break the ZS and ZR means we will run out of them that much sooner :(

Actually thats A good point? How can you not have time to fix the car but can spend hours getting at the sellable parts off? Alternatively just drop if off at a garage?

It seems OTT to strip a car just because its got HGF. Like it was said above, there arn't gonna be any left shortly!!

ZS Phil 24-01-12 12:51 PM

I must admit its rediculous the amount of good mg rovers being broken at the moment, just do an ebay search, there must be more 180s being stripped than there are complete.
As said there will be none left before long :( once they are gone they are gone. On the plus side if they keep getting rarer the value may go up in another 10 years or so and there will be plenty of spares in the meantime from people breaking them. Is the glass half full or half empty?

I think the best solution is you sell me your splitter and spend the money on a head gasket. Everyones a winner!

AceFactor 24-01-12 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZsNutter (Post 234820)
Actually thats A good point? How can you not have time to fix the car but can spend hours getting at the sellable parts off? Alternatively just drop if off at a garage?

It seems OTT to strip a car just because its got HGF. Like it was said above, there arn't gonna be any left shortly!!

Because the car went wrong on Friday evening and I NEEDED a car for MONDAY, so I purchased one! Having a car is essential for my work, which involves a fair amount of travelling as well as getting the family around etc.

The car is now SORN, and I have a replacement car. The car I'm selling, was purchased from a friend about 18 months ago. He lost the car's history when he moved house so I have been extra vigilant with the maintenance, and before you ask I've had a Rover 25 before for 3 1/2 years so I'm not a novice to these engines.

The main (underfloor) Cat is shot on the car, as well as the cambelt coming up to its interval this year as well.

If you think the car is economical to repair, then feel free to make me a sensible offer. But when you total up the work needed, the current market value of the car, minus a lack of service history prior to 18 months ago...the car's value whole is pitiful.

I could have scrapped the car as it. Then the recycling company would have ripped people off for parts, but I'm not like that because I generally like the Rover/MG brand, and I have always found the forums/clubs/members very pleasant.

AceFactor 24-01-12 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Peanut (Post 234802)
If you do end up breaking it I'd be interested to see how much you want for the K&N filter and a set of straights.

Do agree that you could probably get it fixed for very little seeing as you've caught it early.

I'd be looking for £25ish for K&N filter - which would include the Recharger Cleaning Kit for you aswell.

I'd probably beelooking for £180ish for the Straights with the tyres also depending on which centre caps you wanted.

But I could probably do a deal for £200ish (give or take a little for p&p)

talkingcars 24-01-12 05:38 PM

That makes a bit more sense but you'll be having the cambelt off anyway to change the head gasket.

AceFactor 24-01-12 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS Phil (Post 234814)
Condition and price for splitter please:)

Picture of condition:

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/r...g/DSCF3175.jpg

I'd guess around £25ish plus some arrangement on p&p

AceFactor 24-01-12 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary471 (Post 234816)

This the colour of the car?
Saloon or hatch?
If its saloon in PBT im interested in the rear bumper. Price?

PBT is the colour code, and its a Saloon.

If you check the photobucket link there are some photo's of the rear bumper.

Probably looking for £80ish and an arrangement for p&p.

Thanks,

Nats Whiskas 24-01-12 05:47 PM

Pm'ed Mate

AceFactor 24-01-12 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZsNutter (Post 234843)
Pm'ed Mate

Replied to!

ZS Phil 24-01-12 06:38 PM

If that scuff is the only damage then I'll take it, can I just confirm there are no cracks or chunks missing? Pm me to arrange postage and payment if you like?

gary471 24-01-12 08:04 PM

Sorry mate, I'm after a mk2 rearbumper, thanks tho

AceFactor 24-01-12 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS Phil (Post 234864)
If that scuff is the only damage then I'll take it, can I just confirm there are no cracks or chunks missing? Pm me to arrange postage and payment if you like?

It is the only damage AFAIK, but I will double check that before I send it out to you.

ZsNutter may be interested in some parts as well and mentioned combining postage costs with you. Would that be of interest to you?

AceFactor 24-01-12 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary471 (Post 234886)
Sorry mate, I'm after a mk2 rearbumper, thanks tho

No worries mate!

Captain Peanut 24-01-12 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceFactor (Post 234837)
I'd be looking for £25ish for K&N filter - which would include the Recharger Cleaning Kit for you aswell.

I'd probably beelooking for £180ish for the Straights with the tyres also depending on which centre caps you wanted.

But I could probably do a deal for £200ish (give or take a little for p&p)

Have had to divert some funds towards the wife's car so will have to hold fire on the wheels. However, if you would take £20 for the filter I'll have it.

AceFactor 24-01-12 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Peanut (Post 234901)
Have had to divert some funds towards the wife's car so will have to hold fire on the wheels. However, if you would take £20 for the filter I'll have it.

Sorry to hear about the fund diversion. Meet me at £23 for the filter and cleaner kit, as the cleaning kit itself is reasonably heavy, and will be a few quid to post.

Captain Peanut 24-01-12 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceFactor (Post 234910)
Sorry to hear about the fund diversion. Meet me at £23 for the filter and cleaner kit, as the cleaning kit itself is reasonably heavy, and will be a few quid to post.

Sounds like a plan, PM your details and I'll get some funds sent over ASAP. If the work bonus comes good I may be interested in the wheels if they are still available in a few weeks.

ZS Phil 24-01-12 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceFactor (Post 234893)
It is the only damage AFAIK, but I will double check that before I send it out to you.

ZsNutter may be interested in some parts as well and mentioned combining postage costs with you. Would that be of interest to you?

If he decides to have the bits then yeh sure. As long as you put my name on the splitter because I deffo want it.
If not I cant see postage being more than a tenner so Ill send the money straight away

AceFactor 25-01-12 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS Phil (Post 234923)
If he decides to have the bits then yeh sure. As long as you put my name on the splitter because I deffo want it.
If not I cant see postage being more than a tenner so Ill send the money straight away

Consider it yours mate. Let me safely get it off the car and give it a final once over, before you send any money over. If you PM me your mobile and email address I'll be in touch on Saturday.

ZS Phil 25-01-12 07:56 PM

Sounds good mate, Ill send a PM now.

AceFactor 25-01-12 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS Phil (Post 235005)
Sounds good mate, Ill send a PM now.

PM received, will be in touch over the weekend.

mhamps 26-01-12 11:52 AM

Im after LH front abs sensor in good working order! Need asap!

Thanks mate

Captain Peanut 30-01-12 09:25 AM

Hi

PM sent about air filter payment.

Gong back to the wheels/tyres what condition are they in and do you have any pics? I'm also in reasonably urgent need of some rear calipers if yours are in decent nick?

AceFactor 30-01-12 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Peanut (Post 235579)
Hi

Gong back to the wheels/tyres what condition are they in and do you have any pics? I'm also in reasonably urgent need of some rear calipers if yours are in decent nick?

PM replied to.

Tyres are good all round. The back ones are Nankang's, (fitted new by previous owner) and the front ones are Autogrip (fitted by me). Wheels themselves are generally good, have a little bit of kurbing, but no chunks or dents AFAIK.

Rear Calipers - no idea, but I can check them out at the weekend. Do you by chance need rear disks and pads as well?...

ZS Phil 05-02-12 11:52 AM

Hey, still not heard anything about the splitter?

AceFactor 18-02-12 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS Phil (Post 236160)
Hey, still not heard anything about the splitter?

PM Sent about the splitter Phil.

AceFactor 18-02-12 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhamps (Post 235086)
Im after LH front abs sensor in good working order! Need asap!

Thanks mate

I'll be heading over to the car again next weekend if you still need this part?

Thanks,

AceFactor 18-02-12 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Peanut (Post 235579)
Hi

Did you still need a pair of Rear Calipers? Im going to be heading over to the car next weekend so will be getting the wheels off etc. Did you need new rear discs and pads as well, as I recent purchased some replacements but never got round to fitting them, so they are still in their boxes?

Thanks,

Captain Peanut 18-02-12 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceFactor (Post 238012)
Did you still need a pair of Rear Calipers? Im going to be heading over to the car next weekend so will be getting the wheels off etc. Did you need new rear discs and pads as well, as I recent purchased some replacements but never got round to fitting them, so they are still in their boxes?

Thanks,

Afraid not as had to make an emergency purchase last weekend. Shame about the discs and pads as a new set turned up on Thursday!

AceFactor 23-02-12 08:13 PM

Does anybody else need any parts, as I will be definitely heading over to the car on Saturday morning!