theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Smokey's site track day car (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   theMGZS.co.uk Track Car *POSSIBLE FIRST DATE* (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19566)

Smokey 13-01-12 12:48 PM

theMGZS.co.uk Track Car *POSSIBLE FIRST DATE*

Ok so here it is... I have had this plan brewing for a while now.

The track car has sat for over a year now and the funds are available to do the engine swap with belt change. However, my concerns are that with it sitting so long open to the elements, there may be other issues arise (this combined with the car having no service history and I only drove it around 400 miles!)

So... I have now agreed to purchase Craig's red 180, use the current track car to fix its issues (which is replace the brake disks, bonnet release cables (will get bonnet clips) and thermostat)

Then I will strip the seats and seatbelts out, put in my current bucket seats/harnesses, ge the baby liveried up and it will be ready for the next available track days!

WOOHOO!!

Plus I plan on getting the belts done in the coming months to keep it running for as long as possible.

This means that the current track car will be stripped for parts.

I will be keeping the current track car alloys as they are unmarked mk1 straights and I want a spare set for racing. Other than that, all available parts will be ready to sell. (I will post a for sale thread shortly)

I have also designed a livery through Forza 4 on a Chevy Cobalt so you will have an idea of what it will look like!

OLD TRACK CAR TO BE STRIPPED:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...d/6760c240.jpg

NEW TRACK CAR:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f.../105870677.jpg

NEW LIVERY TO BE ORDERED

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...rzaBigshot.jpg

stamford 13-01-12 12:55 PM

A cunning plan squire!

BUCKYDEVIL 13-01-12 01:36 PM

Sounds like you can finally see some light at the end of tunnel on your Track car project.
Credit to you for sticking by it for so long,
Got my 40th next year so In now thinking of a nice mid life crisis project to keep me busy so I've considered sticking a 180 on track, and been finding lots of nice cheap examples.
That's how I spotted Craigs for sale..

Dan1971 13-01-12 02:45 PM

Funny .... Guess we're all thinking the same thing ....

I'm getting together with some guys to hopefully get a track type project together. 4 of us putting in with a view to getting over to "the ring". Idea is to keep everything cheap - and fun - then if we stack it - we simply scrap it and walk away.

They are bikers so I'll punt the car over with the luggage - if the weather's good - I take the car round and they stay on their bikes. If the weather's dodgy or when they get there they don't fancy it on their bikes - we all take the car round.

Then there are also the prospects of taking it to Brands etc for a few days out. When there are a few people putting in - it seems a whole load more affordable than trying to do it all alone.

Haggard's 180 hatch is what I'm trying to get them interested in - then we can all keep tabs on it. So far the interest has been good - just need to get some confirmation by the end of next week. Fingers x'd.

Ritchy 13-01-12 04:05 PM

marcus mine may be for sale in time for your 40th:P

BUCKYDEVIL 13-01-12 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy (Post 233656)
marcus mine may be for sale in time for your 40th:P

Wouldnt rule it out Buddy,,
just stuck with maybe buying a house Very Very soon then will have the driveway for my project.

Nor 13-01-12 06:07 PM

Great plan Smokey.

Only thing for me is that I'm not a massive fan of the hot wheels decal.

Ritchy 13-01-12 06:08 PM

if your wanting a project project can take it as is for what it owes me mate, dont mind not really had a chance to have a look at it yet

BUCKYDEVIL 13-01-12 08:57 PM

If I wasn't in the middle of project new home I woulda been first on the phone to Goldie when it was offered.
Seriously never been in the position of Finance at the moment to meet requirments of being able to move home.
Mega savings getting walloped,,
BUT
when I can fund it I will be like Blair and following through something that's on my
Bucket list.

Ritchy 13-01-12 09:00 PM

see what happens eh:) be a fleet of ZS track cars all in differet colours

Smokey 13-01-12 11:00 PM

My only disappointment is, I loved the black one with it being a complete replica of the BTCC one but the new red livery I like too.

Nor, y u no like Hot Wheels?!

grimmy 13-01-12 11:27 PM

After looking at it again the hot wheels thing isn't really doing it for me either. maybe change it up with a big mg logo that would look much better

Smokey 13-01-12 11:32 PM

but it already has a big one down the bottom....?

grimmy 13-01-12 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey (Post 233697)
but it already has a big one down the bottom....?

I meant the bonnet one sides need a big starskey and hutch job white stripe lol

Maxxed_Ross 14-01-12 05:37 AM

Every time I'm up at Dreadnought I've noticed your engine was still there. I was starting to wonder what was going on, it's sat still almost as long as mine has :laugh:

The engine is fully wrapped up, so it should be ok

Supercharged_Z 14-01-12 09:22 AM

Good idea but just to play devils advocate you won't have much up with the black one, these are good cars all the trouble is vis, clutch and thermostat related.
Brakes might need a clean off but I think that is all which or a track car is ideal

Smokey 14-01-12 09:51 AM

I know what you're saying Ross but I dont want to pay out almost as much for the engine change which includes buying the oil filter pipes, only to have other hassles. Criag has run in the red one and I know its requirements to be perfect for the track. Plus the price was good and I dont want to waste any more time with plans.

This way, I have a working ZS that is ready to race which was the whole point and to get the site together at some meets that involve more than just chatting.

Roll on March :)

Maxxed_Ross 14-01-12 04:50 PM

yeah I suppose it's always easier to start with a car that runs.

Nothing to stop you swapping the engine yourself if you know the new one is ok, it's not that hard to do a like for like change later on... or are you selling the black one?

If you were wanting to be really drastic you could swap over all the body panels from the black car and just get the roof wrapped black :laugh:

Smokey 14-01-12 07:10 PM

lol, ace idea Ross, only thing is, the rear quarter panels would be a nightmare surely?!?!

Maxxed_Ross 15-01-12 05:26 AM

crap, forgot about them

grimmy 15-01-12 10:23 AM

Wrap them

Smokey 15-01-12 10:28 AM

Lol, it's gonna be a challenge wrapping the bonnet and boot white and the roof black!

Maxxed_Ross 15-01-12 04:18 PM

what colour scheme are you thinking of?

Smokey 15-01-12 08:45 PM

um....check out the first page of this thread...

Maxxed_Ross 16-01-12 05:30 AM

sorry thought we were still on about turning the red car black

doing the bonnet and the boot will be easy enough, just take them off and paint them!

Smokey 16-01-12 09:19 PM

Thought about painting them but the vinyl wrap costs about the same so still undecided!

Maxxed_Ross 17-01-12 05:28 AM

Paint will give a far better finish, and stone chips will be the right colour

Captain Peanut 17-01-12 07:34 AM

Sounds like a good plan there. I assume the track day tour will still be happening then?

Let us know when you start stripping the old one, have a few bits to source for mine!

Smokey 17-01-12 10:05 AM

Stripping it now mate.
And yeah the tour will happen this year buddy.

Captain Peanut 17-01-12 10:18 AM

Cool.

If I ping you a list of parts that are needed could you suggest some prices for me?

Smokey 17-01-12 10:42 AM

Yeah no probs mate. If they are available I'll quote you.

Smokey 19-01-12 12:34 PM

Collection of the new car will be 15th Feb...wonder when the Dreadnought track nights will start?!!

Maxxed_Ross 19-01-12 05:04 PM

I'll find out

I'm up for helping it strip it if you need a hand

Supercharged_Z 19-01-12 05:59 PM

if its viable and can get a place to kip i might come up for a track night. love the circuit up there.

Smokey 19-01-12 11:38 PM

Ross (of the maxxed variety) help would be awesome as I have limited time/tools. A bed is available and food too!

Ross (of the super variety) mate, you'd always be welcome to crash at mine for track nights. Just waiting on dates being posted.

Maxxed_Ross 20-01-12 05:36 AM

I have a bed too if you're stuck

I'm heading up there next week so will see if they have dates yet

Smokey 13-02-12 10:23 PM

Well I pick the car up in a couple of days. Then I will be replacing the brake disks, removing the seats and seatbelts, installing the two bucket seats and harnesses and also measuring up for the livery.

All I will need then is the dates for this years dreadnought track nights!

Maxxed_Ross 14-02-12 05:34 AM

I'm back a week on Wed so give me a shout if you need help

Smokey 18-02-12 12:19 PM

Today, I said goodbye to the old track car as Goldie (GeAServices) came and collected it.

Now I will need to find the time to get the new car prepared for our track days!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...d/252ac790.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...d/730bab21.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...d/40a6acd4.jpg

peterzs 18-02-12 12:26 PM

Sad day, but up and onwards.

The black one was as a good car to practise the spanner wielding.

Best of luck with the new one.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :hooray::hooray::hooray: