theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Various questions about the ZS (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=6579)

MikeMant 26-01-09 03:53 PM

Various questions about the ZS

Hi people i have introduced myself to the club and have had some great help so far on what to look for when i go and buy my first ZS

I have a few questions about the ZS (Hopefully i have got the right section) ...

What are the standard speakers like? Will i get a good sound just using a decent head unit?

Can i fit fog lights to the front bumper if it doesnt already have them? Im not too bothered if they work or not i just think they look better with them in Would the blanking plates need to be cut out?

I hear that parts are hard to get hold of and servicing is expensive? is this true? I would have thought that servicing is the same for any car

I have also heard that fitting either a panel filter or induction kit makes the response alot better What would be the best one to fit?

Are the 17 multi spoke alloys easy to get hold of?

I would like my ZS to have the multi spoke 17s on it along with fogs etc but looking at my price range the models that fall into my price range have the 16 alloys and no fogs So i was thinking that i could get hold of these parts and pop them on?

Sorry for the questions Im just doing my research Thanks in advance people

:band:

afcbadam 26-01-09 04:09 PM

Hi people i have introduced myself to the club and have had some great help so far on what to look for when i go and buy my first ZS

I have a few questions about the ZS (Hopefully i have got the right section) ...

What are the standard speakers like? Will i get a good sound just using a decent head unit? the standard speakers are ok and sound good with a decent head unit but alot better with upgraded speakers

Can i fit fog lights to the front bumper if it doesnt already have them? Im not too bothered if they work or not i just think they look better with them in Would the blanking plates need to be cut out? if lights are present they need to work. its the law and a mot failure
I hear that parts are hard to get hold of and servicing is expensive? is this true? I would have thought that servicing is the same for any car no and no

I have also heard that fitting either a panel filter or induction kit makes the response alot better What would be the best one to fit? either a bme or open cone in the wing imho

Are the 17 multi spoke alloys easy to get hold of? yep

I would like my ZS to have the multi spoke 17s on it along with fogs etc but looking at my price range the models that fall into my price range have the 16 alloys and no fogs So i was thinking that i could get hold of these parts and pop them on? you will get a car with every thing you want on it within your budget

MikeMant 26-01-09 04:19 PM

Cheers for that mate Didnt realise that about them mot So if i fit them are they easy to wire in and get them working? Will the blanking plates need to be cut out or do they unclip?

afcbadam 26-01-09 04:26 PM

i think the are held in using the 3 fixings that the fog lights use. unsure how they wire in as mine already has foglights so not needed to do it. i think the loom is already there if so i would imaging its a plug and play job. i may be wrong though

MikeMant 26-01-09 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afcbadam (Post 86758)
i think the are held in using the 3 fixings that the fog lights use. unsure how they wire in as mine already has foglights so not needed to do it. i think the loom is already there if so i would imaging its a plug and play job. i may be wrong though

Cheers mate Hopefully i wont have to hack the bumper to bits to put them in

rbull51 26-01-09 05:13 PM

I have fitted a k&n cone air filter and it sounds fantastic, looks good under the bonnet aswell!!

RalphG 26-01-09 05:27 PM

If your car is a Mk1, I have a complete front fog light fitting kit in stock. These are like rocking horse poo. It is listed in our eBay shop.

stamford 26-01-09 06:52 PM

Front fogs are not MOT tested, so you can have them for show. I only have one at the front as the other is my cold air feed. Come to think of it, my offside fog is also a water reservoir ;)

Maxxed_Ross 26-01-09 06:54 PM

I've seen an IS200 fail for having one of the fog lights out.... mainly because the guy spent the next hour in the carpark trying to remove them so he could get it re-tested

stamford 26-01-09 06:59 PM

That's wrong Ross, not saying you mate! But it is not tested, we've had this before when I asked about mine. My zed went through with one fog fitted.

Maxxed_Ross 26-01-09 07:01 PM

hmm that is strange

stamford 26-01-09 07:05 PM

Here's the original thread in question. linky and the answer :D

afcbadam 26-01-09 07:07 PM

my mot tester fails a car if a light is present and isnt working.

it says on the mot test site that is will be rejected if its present and not in working order

stamford 26-01-09 07:17 PM

Front foglights are classed as optional and therefore not tested. Your tester is not testing to the rule book if that's the case.

wilko66 26-01-09 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMant (Post 86754)
Cheers for that mate Didnt realise that about them mot So if i fit them are they easy to wire in and get them working? Will the blanking plates need to be cut out or do they unclip?

if its a mk1 then the blanking plates have to be cut out. the wiring is there just tucked up by the indicators. All you wiil need to get them working is a relay and the switch.

RudeDogg1 26-01-09 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMant (Post 86745)

What are the standard speakers like? Will i get a good sound just using a decent head unit? Ive no complaints but i want to change the rears at some point.

Can i fit fog lights to the front bumper if it doesnt already have them? Im not too bothered if they work or not i just think they look better with them in Would the blanking plates need to be cut out? Yes you can if you can find the parts you need the brackets, rubber gaskets, light units, relay and switch. They are easy to fit u just cut out the blanks the rubber gromits are thye hardest to fit lol, All the connectors are there taped out the way.

I hear that parts are hard to get hold of and servicing is expensive? is this true? I would have thought that servicing is the same for any car. Some parts are hard to get hold of (such as anything to do with the fog lights lol) but not all.

I have also heard that fitting either a panel filter or induction kit makes the response alot better What would be the best one to fit? I used a k&n panel needs no mods then

Are the 17 multi spoke alloys easy to get hold of? yes used are easy to get hold of but if u want new its about 250 a wheel :S ridiculas i know

I would like my ZS to have the multi spoke 17s on it along with fogs etc but looking at my price range the models that fall into my price range have the 16 alloys and no fogs So i was thinking that i could get hold of these parts and pop them on? If you get one of the + models its should have the 17's along with aircon and electric windows.

:band:

MikeMant 26-01-09 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbull51 (Post 86778)
I have fitted a k&n cone air filter and it sounds fantastic, looks good under the bonnet aswell!!

Do you just have the filter fitted? No exhaust? Sounds like a plan when i get mine

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMS Ltd. (Post 86779)
If your car is a Mk1, I have a complete front fog light fitting kit in stock. These are like rocking horse poo. It is listed in our eBay shop.

Link please matey? If they a rare i may buy some now just in case

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 86818)
Front fogs are not MOT tested, so you can have them for show. I only have one at the front as the other is my cold air feed. Come to think of it, my offside fog is also a water reservoir ;)

Now im lost lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilko66 (Post 86837)
if its a mk1 then the blanking plates have to be cut out. the wiring is there just tucked up by the indicators. All you wiil need to get them working is a relay and the switch.

Damm didnt really wanna hack the bumper up but they look good Do i just plug the switch in?

RudeDogg1 26-01-09 07:58 PM

Yes you just ease the rear fog light switch out the dash un plug and put the new double one in.

And servicing prices just vary from place to place , its easy enough to do it your self anyway well most of it

wilko66 26-01-09 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMant (Post 86843)
Do you just have the filter fitted? No exhaust? Sounds like a plan when i get mine

Link please matey? If they a rare i may buy some now just in case

Now im lost lol

Damm didnt really wanna hack the bumper up but they look good Do i just plug the switch in?

Its not a too bad to do buddy, there is a mark to follow on the inside of the bumper, and even if you do go off the mark a little the rubber seal that goes around the foglight will cover up any minor mishaps :smartass: as rudedog has said yep the switch plugs in to the same plug as the old one, and the relay just pushes into the under bonnet fuse box. I did mine and it was a piece of cake.

RudeDogg1 26-01-09 08:06 PM

just use a dremel with a small drill bits drill all along the line then just push the blank out, gice it a lil sand so its not rough and pop the rubber seal on

RalphG 27-01-09 12:43 PM

Link to fog lamp kit.

MikeMant 27-01-09 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilko66 (Post 86847)
Its not a too bad to do buddy, there is a mark to follow on the inside of the bumper, and even if you do go off the mark a little the rubber seal that goes around the foglight will cover up any minor mishaps :smartass: as rudedog has said yep the switch plugs in to the same plug as the old one, and the relay just pushes into the under bonnet fuse box. I did mine and it was a piece of cake.

Cheers matey A great help

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMS Ltd. (Post 86936)

Ta matey

Righty people say the mg is a rover - obviously it does look similar to one but have heard it shares alot of the honda civic stuff Is this true?

:beer2:

rbull51 27-01-09 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMant (Post 86843)

I have the k&n cone fitted and an x-power back box, all together sounds spot on...

MikeMant 27-01-09 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbull51 (Post 86978)
I have the k&n cone fitted and an x-power back box, all together sounds spot on...

I have heard of this x power stuff Whats that all about? A tuning company for mg?

grimmy 27-01-09 05:22 PM

the zs is similar to the rover 45 and 400 which also share a lot of common parts to one of the honda civics,the zs however has a tweaked chassis uprated suspension and steering as well as other cosmetic differences but driving the zs is completley different to driving a 45 two different cars in the end.

MikeMant 27-01-09 05:34 PM

Cool Well all i can say is that all this info is encouraging me to buy one I CANT WAIT!! lol

I have a wanted thread up in the cars wanted section if anyone can help

Cheers

grimmy 27-01-09 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMant (Post 86993)
Cool Well all i can say is that all this info is encouraging me to buy one I CANT WAIT!! lol

I have a wanted thread up in the cars wanted section if anyone can help

Cheers

Just go into the cars wanted section and start a new thread on what you want in terms of the model colour price. etc

MikeMant 27-01-09 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 86995)
Just go into the cars wanted section and start a new thread on what you want in terms of the model colour price. etc

Already have done matey

So whats the x-power stuff about??

Also on my way to work today i took a different route and noticed this

http://closemotorsport.com/

Could come in very handy :bike:

grimmy 27-01-09 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMant (Post 86997)
Already have done matey

So whats the x-power stuff about??

Also on my way to work today i took a different route and noticed this

http://closemotorsport.com/

Could come in very handy :bike:

Xpower was the motorsport and racing side of MG

MikeMant 27-01-09 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 86999)
Xpower was the motorsport and racing side of MG

Is there a web site or a place to buy stuff?? As seen / been told the some people have fitted x power exhausts etc

grimmy 27-01-09 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMant (Post 87000)
Is there a web site or a place to buy stuff?? As seen / been told the some people have fitted x power exhausts etc

I think EMS does the xpower back box but there are plenty other options for exhausts and stuff out there as well.As for other mods there are loads of options

rbull51 27-01-09 06:30 PM

Go onto ebay and type in mg x power and you will get an idea of what x power was / is. As said before there are so many options and extra mods etc it is far to easy to spend toooo much money on your zs!!!

RudeDogg1 27-01-09 07:06 PM

ebay some time rimmber bros or on sites like this lol

MikeMant 27-01-09 07:09 PM

Cheers people You are a great help and have moved me even closer to buying a zs

grimmy 27-01-09 08:14 PM

You are more than weclome mate good to see new people getting and being enthusiastic about what is a cracking and massively underated car.

MikeMant 28-01-09 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 87085)
You are more than weclome mate good to see new people getting and being enthusiastic about what is a cracking and massively underated car.

I agree mate The mg is very underated Few friends seem to put them right down I'll be able to be more enthusiastic about them when i get one :bandana:

rbull51 28-01-09 05:05 PM

You will not be dissapointed when you get one.

p_b82 28-01-09 05:16 PM

i still get stick from a couple of mates for drving an old rover based on an older civic...

tho they tend to not make as many comments once they have been in it - tho some still do to wind me up.... i try not to bite anymore...

MikeMant 28-01-09 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbull51 (Post 87259)
You will not be dissapointed when you get one.

Cool :zorro:

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 87267)
i still get stick from a couple of mates for drving an old rover based on an older civic...

tho they tend to not make as many comments once they have been in it - tho some still do to wind me up.... i try not to bite anymore...

Heard they handle great so once ive got mind ill wipe the smirks of my friends faces lol

Alan.F 28-01-09 07:54 PM

I went to a mate of mine today who drives a golf oil burner he always slagged my 120 off so took my 180 around today and took him out in it :devil: he changed his mind and siad what a superb car it really is.

If you can ride being the butt of jokes when you get one and take the ZS for what it is which is pound for pound the best handling car produced :)