theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Our 50mpg ZS180! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22620)

guru 12-09-12 10:19 PM

Our 50mpg ZS180!

Well a bit of an update........the 180 is running fine....thank goodness!
Filled it up today having reset the mileometer at the last fill up and with the cost of the fuel (LPG) and distance travelled it works out to be the equivalent of 50.84mpg!!!!

Given that most of its running is on a daily 50 mile slog across rural Norfolk with lots of accelerating and braking I'm pretty pleased with it, in fact it's working out cheaper to run then the ZR TD it replaced, just as long as I ignore the occasional £1000 repair bill :slap:

KirkJames 13-09-12 02:47 AM

What you getting from the tank then, about 600 mile?

Maxxed_Ross 13-09-12 04:52 AM

that's fantastic, just a shame the conversion is so expensive

talkingcars 13-09-12 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkJames (Post 272046)

LOL - MPG on LPG is worse than on petrol.

Dan1971 13-09-12 07:31 AM

Is an LPG 180 the best way to run a ZS perhaps ..... ? Think so judging by those figures.

ZS 13-09-12 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 272059)
Is an LPG 180 the best way to run a ZS perhaps ..... ? Think so judging by those figures.

Possibly... but in my case the nearest LPG station is 9 miles in the wrong direction and then after that its 17 miles and further... Add to that the cost of the conversion and it is not worth it for me!

guru 13-09-12 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkJames (Post 272046)

Nope, 371 miles on this tank and it cost around £44 to fill again, I made an exact note of the figures yesterday when I did the calculation. We have a torpedo tank in the boot but I'm seriously thinking about installed a second doughnut tank in the spare wheel well, which would then give us about 650 miles between refills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 272069)
Possibly... but in my case the nearest LPG station is 9 miles in the wrong direction and then after that its 17 miles and further... Add to that the cost of the conversion and it is not worth it for me!

Yep, I think that LPG needs to be carefully considered and certainly isn't for everyone. I must admit that playing hunt the LPG station on a journey can be a little annoying however more and more motorway services now seem to carry it. I don't think I would ever pay to have a car converted as the payback period is just too long however you can pick up cars that have already been converted for just a little more then a standard one, and it makes sense then. Our ZS does at least 55 miles a day so even with the hefty repair bill recently it's still paying for itself.

I think that now if you drive a high(ish) mileage then you have 2 choices, LPG which allows you to drive a stonking V6 or diesel which allows you to drive a tractor..........so personally it's a no brainer for me!

KirkJames 13-09-12 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 272052)
LOL - MPG on LPG is worse than on petrol.

I take it it's just the cost that's the plus then. I always thought you got more. 50+ mpg for a 180 is certainly better than normal. I get about 30 if you look at my sig!

I do the same amount of miles a day and get anywhere between 285-320 miles per tank and it costs me roughly 65 quid each tank so 21 quid less per tank for more miles might make sense for me. Providing there is no loss in power at all!

Fred68 13-09-12 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkJames (Post 272086)
I take it it's just the cost that's the plus then. I always thought you got more. 50+ mpg for a 180 is certainly better than normal. I get about 30 if you look at my sig!

I do the same amount of miles a day and get anywhere between 285-320 miles per tank and it costs me roughly 65 quid each tank so 21 quid less per tank for more miles might make sense for me. Providing there is no loss in power at all!

The 50mpg would be the equivalent cost if it was running on petrol. Lpg has a much lower caloriffic value than petrol so each liter of Lpg has less energy to give. This reduces the power the engine makes so to compensate you have to use a bit more throttle to overcome to lower power so you use a bit more Lpg than you would petrol to go the same distance!!

zs180blue 13-09-12 09:56 AM

I bought the ZS 180 as our economical car?
Our Discovery 3 4.4 V8 only does 15-20mpg at best so the ZS to me is fantastic on fuel.

To add, not really sure the Morris Minor V8 is going to be much better.