theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Changing Fuel Filter (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22177)

KirkJames 02-08-12 03:09 AM

Changing Fuel Filter

Changing fuel filter today, along with the air & pollen filter. Any pointers before I start. I have a pretty good tool kit but is there anything else that will help the job along at all?

Maxxed_Ross 02-08-12 03:24 AM

The only bit I've ever done was the pollen filter... and once you get the glove box out its not a bad job to do at all. just make sure its seated square before you put it back together or it'll whistle

Jay-ZS+ 02-08-12 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkJames (Post 266024)
Changing fuel filter today, along with the air & pollen filter. Any pointers before I start. I have a pretty good tool kit but is there anything else that will help the job along at all?

A rag to catch any fuel that comes out and some elbow grease. Some times the nuts on the fuel filter can be abit tight. All pretty well detailed in the haynes if you have one, straight forward enough job. :)

stamford 02-08-12 06:58 AM

Place plenty of rag around the filter when cracking the joint as fuel will seep out as under slight pressure. Also hold the unit sturdy whilst cracking the nuts to avoid twisting the unit/pipework. It may well be fine but from previous fillter changes on other cars it can be a pain as the unit is not exactly placed to hold still.

James Raby 05-08-12 02:24 PM

nobody mention the quick release pipes??? they always are a apin and need de-greasing quite often

POMPSKI 05-08-12 06:13 PM

Done it yesterday, dont take the unions off in the bay, the quick release couplings are simple to undo and redo (On mine at least) grease them up before you put them back on. Undo the unions using the two spanner method, ensuring the pipes & filter dont warp. Give the vap cyclinder a good once over, mine had a split in it. On the rear fuel pipe, check it isnt chaffing on the driveshaft. Mine was mighty close to it, had to place the filter slightly higher in its housing. And obviously use a few rags.

Air filter couldnt be easier, just pull it up, but while you're there check the connecting pipe along the bottom of the two boxes, this comes off alot. Worth cleaning up any oil as well.

KirkJames 05-08-12 11:08 PM

Cheers guys, managed to do it ok, I just carefully used two spanners and got the old fuel filter off ok and put the new one on. I couldn't of screwed the bottom union nut on properly a couple of times as fuel pi55ed out when I turned the ignition on. Managed to sort that and it was then fine.
I got the fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter from a certain company on ebay and low and behold the bloody air filter was the wrong one. It was too short for the air box.......muppets!!
By this point I had run out of time anyhow so I am going to do the pollen filter, front discs and pads and the cv joints next week now.