theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   scangauge owners (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=23423)

redzed 23-11-12 02:07 PM

scangauge owners

1 Attachment(s)
whats your normal air intake temperature? ive got a factory standard air intake on at the moment and i normally read about 33 degrees, havent put the itg on to test just wondered what you had on and what temperature you normally read?
pic attached

petet16 23-11-12 02:08 PM

Depends entirely on ambient temp tbh

petet16 23-11-12 02:10 PM

33 c, thats warm:smile1:

redzed 23-11-12 02:34 PM

thats what it sits at whether its cold or warm once its being used that is. sometimes lower but not my much. im thinking a itg is going to be alot colder which would also be why other itakes help with bhp. what do you sit at average mpg wise?

petet16 23-11-12 02:49 PM

I never properly calibrated the mpg setting, but I got down to 7.4mpg flooring it in second gear:pirate2:

vanishing days 23-11-12 02:59 PM

Mine averages at 28c

Maxxed_Ross 23-11-12 04:58 PM

Mine used to hover around the 30 mark, but as already said it depends on the weather

talkingcars 23-11-12 05:14 PM

You're running a scangauge yet your MIL is showing?

Also you have the SRS light on?

And what are you doing taking photos while driving?

:yikes:

talkingcars 23-11-12 05:31 PM

Now I've stressed you out with the above post I'll give you a sensible answer.

The O/E filter is a perfect heat soak.
I found that it would be okay as long as the cars was totally cold when you started and would remain a little above ambiant as long as you kept moving but once you stopped for a couple of hours or got into town traffic the tempreture would go up and never come down.

I wasn't convinced that maintaing the O/E location for an enclosed filter or running hose down the radiator to a remote filter would be much better as it is still in a direct line with the radiator at the point where air will flow through it the best.

Instead I moved the battery to the boot and fitted an enclosed BMC CDA in it's place with a feed coming up from the inner wing through the gap between the inner wing and the chassis rail - it's the same as the one on the otherside where the washer bottle sits.

Now the IA temp will remain at ambiant unless the car sits for a little while, then the tempreture will slowly rise to that of the engine bay, I once saw 60' while queing in traffic just outside Paris one August.

HOWEVER once you start rolling it will drop like a stone and will maintain 5' above ambiant.

Today it was around 7 or 8', I was seeing 12 or 13' on the IA!

James

P.S. I like the scangauge location, exactly the same as mine.
I do have the MPG and temp info swapped over, took me a moment when I looked at you photo.

carmadbaker 23-11-12 06:55 PM

I once saw 0 degrees on mine, was a VERY cold night!! And i had a well plumbed in BMC CDA :-) got pics somewhere to prove it ;-)