theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   tuned derv ZS update (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10401)

p_b82 12-12-09 11:22 PM

tuned derv ZS update

Figured i would pop an update on here for those that done lurk on the other forums that have a vague interest in the saga that is tuning my derv ZS...

had it on the dyno today and still had a dissapointing 160bhp and only 220lbs-ft of torque once more much later in the rev range than expected and still way to smokey and too hot over 4000 rpm.

have finally come to the decision (that i should have madea while back) to try a different set of injectors as the ones that i have got are just too extreme for the vp30 fuel pump we have in the ZS.

So currently I am in the process of selling my current injectors and going to be making a hybrid injector out of the Zs standard injector and SDI injector.

Basically i am going to hope to keep the delivery and break pressure of the newer injector with the larger flow nozzle from the SDI. this should mean good atomisation of fuel, but more of it than the standard injector would normally flow. so it will be the best i can get for power, fuel economy and torque delivery...

the SDI's on their own tail off quite a lot after the peak, where the normal injecotr has the peak, but then holds torque flat until there fuel drops off. wth the hybrid turbo i am hoping to up the fuel after the torque peak and keep it at the same flat level as the peak for as long as possible.

I am hoping that this will give me a good starting point to start over with this dammed car....

normal injectors can give about 220lbs-ft peak torque with a remap, and SDI's around 250... if i can get 250 and hold it flat, then i might still see 170-180bhp.....

oh and it seems to have blown the exhaust manifold gasket - probably the 27PSI boost it is currently peaking at:oops:.. and it looks like it has pissed the gearbox oil out again, as it dropped out of 5th a few times on the motorway this morning..

all in all an expensive experiment i tried.... here is hoping to better luck with my new plans.

peterzs 13-12-09 09:55 AM

Sorry you didnt get the result you wanted.

When I got my derv didnt know much about the car or engine, I was hopeing it was a common rail BMW lump. As i thought it would be great for tuning, etc.

Soon found out it was the L series, still its goes OK now.

I dont have a clue on the derv, thats why I've been following your project so closely and thanks for posting up the good and bad points.

My one does smoke a bit, but thats when you get up to 70!!!!!

All the best with the new set up and hope you sort the problems out. At least you are the front runner in the derv development cause, always a difficult place to be.

:bow::bow::bow:

stamford 13-12-09 10:03 AM

I admire you for persevering with this project, sorry to hear you have had problems. But that's the way these things go, positives and negatives but the main thing is learning from it. Do keep us updated as it is interesting to see another perspective.

peterzs 13-12-09 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 131733)
I admire you for persevering with this project, sorry to hear you have had problems. But that's the way these things go, positives and negatives but the main thing is learning from it. Do keep us updated as it is interesting to see another perspective.

Turbo route Mick, nice ZS derv.

:beer2::beer2:

Steves Cleenz 13-12-09 10:59 AM

You are going to have a look at my van when I come down next week and tell me what you think to how that goes with just the little mods I have done

Supercharged_Z 13-12-09 11:28 AM

if you could get your dervs to 170bhp that would be mint!!! just a shame it dosnt sound like a v6 lol

p_b82 13-12-09 02:42 PM

sure thing Steve :)

The turbo can techncially flow enough air for about 190bhp in the diesels, so dropping it down to 25PSi (as that is really as high i i want to run it) i could techncially see around the 170-180 mark.

that has always been the plan to get close to a 180 as i could but still maintain the economy.... was a rather poor 38mpg last tank but i was testing out a few things since the boost leak was fixed.....

the real problem with the power figure with diesels is that we only have such limited rpm to play with, mine is currently still pulling at 4200rpm, but as the injector just dump the fuel in, it is not atomising properly, and there is just not enough time to burn it. hence seeing temps in the exhuast manifold of 900C when doing a flat out run in 5th.

It is true it will never sound like a v6 - in fact in usual L-series fashion it sounds rough and un-refined, but generates a few turned heads when on boost :)

p_b82 25-01-10 03:56 PM

quick update....

Car is off to hospital tomorrow (was suppsoed to be today but the r25 loan car is poorly)

having the gearbox removed and stripped to fix the 5th gear issue - suspected spring failure for the synchromesh being the likely culprit.

Also getting my hybrid injectors fitted which co-insides well with a trip to Yeovil for yet another trip on the dyno on Saturday morning....

here is hoping to get it smoke free and some decent figures - tho we have no idea quite what to expect as it is an experiment and no-one has tried it before.

If it fails i will just pop the SDi nozzles back on the SDi injectors and go from there.

*keeps fingers crossed*

peterzs 25-01-10 05:48 PM

Best of luck, hope it all goes well.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jay-ZS+ 25-01-10 06:03 PM

Yer good luck with it Pete hope you unlock all that potential it has!