theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   dodgy mot station!! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22189)

andys1981 02-08-12 10:57 PM

dodgy mot station!!

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthr...yone-read-this
sorry but if this was any of my cars,id be in the cells for punching holes in somebody,absolutely shocking

Smokey 02-08-12 11:17 PM

Ouch!!

WalkerDnB 02-08-12 11:26 PM

Its amazing how some garages feel its ok to rag customers cars
reminds me of this Monaro being driven by a local garage at more than 125mph

MG ZS STE 02-08-12 11:27 PM

That garage owner sounds a real nice chap dont he, what an effin tool!

andys1981 02-08-12 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkerDnB (Post 266246)
Its amazing how some garages feel its ok to rag customers cars
reminds me of this Monaro being driven by a local garage at more than 125mph

glad i left vauxhall for mg lol:yoji:

Ricwin 03-08-12 12:39 AM

Just spotted this on mg-rover.org and read the whole thing.

Its shocking that places can get away with such behavior. As though taking a modified car, someones pride and joy, for a joyride isnt bad enough; threatening to assault the owner is simply inconceivable.

This garage seems to have had a questionable reputation before this thread hit the internet.

fastmike 03-08-12 06:53 AM

Thats disgusting , I,de be purple with rage if that was my car

stamford 03-08-12 07:11 AM

It's times like this when you feel let down by the system and nowhere to turn to. Pity no-one has suggested any CCTV in the locality?

I have been in similar situations where the Police can't or won't intervene but as soon as you seek retribution you are the guilty party, a no-win situation I'm afraid. However if threatening behaviour was reported then that must be followed up.

VOSA would have been high up on my list if that were me. This is when people need voice recorders ;)

carmadbaker 03-08-12 07:20 AM

terrible! poor bloke! i always hang around for my car anyway, sadly i trust no-one when it comes to my cars!!

ZS 03-08-12 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 266255)
It's times like this when you feel let down by the system and nowhere to turn to. Pity no-one has suggested any CCTV in the locality?

I have been in similar situations where the Police can't or won't intervene but as soon as you seek retribution you are the guilty party, a no-win situation I'm afraid. However if threatening behaviour was reported then that must be followed up.

VOSA would have been high up on my list if that were me. This is when people need voice recorders ;)

Let down by the system... yeah I know that feeling :) - Its the "yes there is more than enough evidence to convict, but its going to cost us too much money so we are dropping the case" comment from the Criminal Prosecution Service that got me!! - So that person was found guilty in a Civil court (not criminal) instead and gets away with the prison time they should have had! (Leaving me to fight the person in court for the last 4 years almost totally draining me of all my money and plunging me further into debt that I can protect my children the best I can!)

pheelay 03-08-12 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys1981 (Post 266249)
glad i left vauxhall for mg lol:yoji:

hah, does that make any difference?! A couple years back I left the ZS into an ex-MGR dealer down the south of France for the annual service. They called me later in the evening with some "bad news". Thought maybe they'd discovered some serious mechanical issue during a checkup, but no, went back to the garage to find that they had destroyed two alloys + the tyres during the "test-drive". Steering was out by about 15º aswell. Test driving customers' cars around Magny-Cours perhaps? I could understand a mechanic getting excited over a V6, but this was a 1.4 ffs! hehe. At least in this case, they did the right thing afterwards and without any hassle.

sheldore 03-08-12 08:33 AM

I go to a local garage who I trust and know would never rag my car. I'm very very particular where my cars go to. I once used a local MG dealership on my old ZR and could here it being ragged by one of the younger mechanics, I promptly went into the garage area and had a word with the mechanic and is boss, it went well for me but not for him.

stamford 03-08-12 08:34 AM

I've had bad experiences with a Vauxhall main dealer when I ran my Omega V6 Tourer. They tried to stitch me up with a load of BS after I drove it home after a service and found the rear brakes had gone. Being a qualified engineer was useful, I allowed their service manager to keep digging that hole and then chipped in with the facts. He didn't know what to say when I ran the facts past him, they couldn't do enough for me.

Ritchy 03-08-12 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 266255)

System is a huge let down when it comes to civil matters like this.
Unfortunatly cars do get damaged in garages at times, but personally at mine we always will repair F.O.C. thats what the insurance is there for, shocking bullying tactics from the owner really

p_b82 03-08-12 09:03 AM

man - that would indeed suck well and truely - it is the one reason i am very concerned about garages and who i trust with my car.

a prang like that would leave me fuming esp as what i have been through with it!

Smokey 03-08-12 09:16 AM

I picked up a hitch hiker a few weeks ago. Turned out he worked in the garage I used for my MOT. In chatting, he told me he had driven my track car.... I have never taken it to the garage other that to get bolts swapped on the calipers.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't require driving my car, so unless he meant he drove it from the forecourt to inside the garage, he was either talking sh1t (quite possible) or they were driving my car without my permission!

He also said he'd driven my black one which did go in for its MOT there and had to be driven to another garage but I'm still not convinced anyone would let him behind the wheel!

Either way, the conversation made me think more closely about where my car is during work.

peterzs 03-08-12 09:34 AM

Surprised no one advised the OP to take someone with him, if or when, he goes back to the garage to act as a witness.

What a horror story, sounds like the garage guy knows how the system works and is prepared to use it for his advantage.

Hope the Nova owner gets a good outcome.

Ritchy 03-08-12 09:40 AM

i dont do MOTs but after any job the car gets a roadtest unless it was just something daft like interior trim/wipers ect, if the car hasnt been in for over a month the car gets a vehicle health check as well which tbh is quite a thorough check, dont rag cars just to make sure they are driving true, no funny noises, vibrations, pulls, gear changes are okay, brake noises, as i said things do happen to cars time to time, luckily touch wood nothing to me on road although i did crash a h/drive van into a skip when i was an aprentice and when it was snow ice i couldnt see out the back of a zafira and knocked into a mondeo(both sales cars) and dented a customers door when the door swung open due to the check strap being broken and it hit off the ramp, but we even repaired that f.o.c.
i just cnt believe the balls of the owner of the garage, i think perhaps he may not have the insurance and is hopng he will just go away and leave it

Jay-ZS+ 03-08-12 09:42 AM

Its amazing how may fire risks there are in a garage! :whistle:

In fairness accidents happen, if I dropped my car off and it was taken for a road test around the block I wouldnt have a problem with it (assuming it was driven sensibly). These things happen. Its the guys attitude that would have caused me to flip and let the rage out!

Theres a lot to be said for having a mechanic that you trust. Thats way I give my car to Dave when its MOT time, know its in safe hands. :thumbsup:

stamford 03-08-12 09:54 AM

I used to give my car to my brother-in-law to take into work and MOT it, he's a service dept manager for a VW franchise and has done for many years. However one evening he was off up the road taking it home to take into work the next day, I heard him wheelspin out of our road and floor it up the main road, not an easy car to drive quietly fast! Needless to say he doesn't do any of them now!

I do not trust that many garages, never have and those I do are watched carefully. Finding a good one and ensuring it stays that way is one thing but the smart ones know it only takes one bad job to bring them down. Rebuilding damaged reputation can take a long time, assuming they can repair it.

peterzs 03-08-12 10:03 AM

If there is so much bad publicity for the garage guy, can see him going belly up.

Sounds like they have a bad rep as it is.

Think I'd get his insurance details quickly, be interesting to see how they deal with it.

One off Nova, worth (to the owner) £10k - £15k put your own figure in.

Stamford know the drop nose models go for £30k.

Ordinary Nova £500, suppose that why these agreed value insurances are worth it.

grimmy 03-08-12 11:32 AM

Sadly it goes on in a few garages,I was at work and out in the van when I saw one of my colleagues flying around a roundabout now he is in his sixties so not exactly boy racer material so when I saw him the next day I said to him Christ you must have been late for something to be driving like that, to which he replied my "my car was in all day at the local garage" what I saw was one of the young mechanics out thrashing my colleagues car on a "road test".to be fair he challenged them on it and got a travelling apology and a free service the next time he brough the car in.don't know what happened to the mechanic.

stamford 03-08-12 11:44 AM

Just goes to show a very well respected garage plus team of mechanics is worth their weight in gold.

theboynoz 03-08-12 11:51 AM

When i worked in a garage i'd never have dreamed of being such a pilloc! i only ever drove the cars from the car park to the workshop, but i guess that is the difference when you are a bit older and have respect for other peoples cars, i think it's cause i would have killed someone if they thrashed my old Saxo i had, so i would never do that to someone else!

I hope this garage gets what's coming to them, what a massive bell end!

James Raby 05-08-12 02:41 PM

Mines being picked up to go to get an estimate for the rear end calamity right now

I don't want them to pick it up, I want to drop it off and got a "no"
Still phoning them in the mornign though....

Fred68 05-08-12 07:23 PM

The garage I used to work for had a "drive it slow" policy or you got the sack!! You could drive a customers car quickly but only to test for a customer reported speed related fault!!

Fred68 05-08-12 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Raby (Post 266721)
Mines being picked up to go to get an estimate for the rear end calamity right now

I don't want them to pick it up, I want to drop it off and got a "no"
Still phoning them in the mornign though....

I'm with you there!! I hate a car being taken away on a lorry :(