theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   mk 2 120 info (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=16869)

lawrence-zs180 05-05-11 11:03 AM

mk 2 120 info

As you know the 180 is having to be sold but having a look round for something else and everything looks and feels pedestrian so I have decided to go for a MK2 120 but having never owned one or even looked into specs etc I was wondering if you guys could point out the usual issues that they have...
I know that there is the hgf issue but as Ritchy say's its about 2 hours.. so half a day for me lol but I'm also looking to mod it a bit so exhaust and lower it.. am I correct in thinking that civic coilovers work or is that just the mk1's?
cheers guys

Maxfly 05-05-11 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 (Post 206957)
As you know the 180 is having to be sold but having a look round for something else and everything looks and feels pedestrian so I have decided to go for a MK2 120 but having never owned one or even looked into specs etc I was wondering if you guys could point out the usual issues that they have...
I know that there is the hgf issue but as Ritchy say's its about 2 hours.. so half a day for me lol but I'm also looking to mod it a bit so exhaust and lower it.. am I correct in thinking that civic coilovers work or is that just the mk1's?
cheers guys

Most issues are similiar to the V6 bud. Obviously as you have noted check the HG and anything associated with the cooling system - stat, rad etc. I am sure you can still get the Xpower lowering springs for the 120 and all 4 pot K series if you don't want the expense of coilovers:)

lawrence-zs180 05-05-11 02:16 PM

Pg1 box on them to right... means a sheddist kit again, best get on the waiting list haha.
Ahhh balls that means that if I go for the one im looking at I have to change my sig to... found one with fsh, 50k and full 180 kit for 1800... just gotta shift mine first unless him being a autotrader 'dealer' means he will take mine as px

Maxfly 05-05-11 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 (Post 206971)
Pg1 box on them to right... means a sheddist kit again, best get on the waiting list haha.
Ahhh balls that means that if I go for the one im looking at I have to change my sig to... found one with fsh, 50k and full 180 kit for 1800... just gotta shift mine first unless him being a autotrader 'dealer' means he will take mine as px

sounds good, hopefully he would offer you a decent price for the trade in~:)

lawrence-zs180 05-05-11 02:24 PM

hope so lol

p_b82 05-05-11 02:28 PM

the 120 does not have the same issue with the hydraulics as the 180....

i think it is due to the different bellhouse mounting for the slave - and probably a lower pressure clutch as it has less torque in the 1.8.....

lawrence-zs180 05-05-11 02:31 PM

really.. ohh snap! thats one less issue. I read something somewhere about saggy bumpers and rusting barckets but I can remember where... anyone know the deal with those?

petet16 05-05-11 02:32 PM

The saggy rear bumper is a mk2 thing, but the fix is simple and cheap.

fastmike 05-05-11 02:33 PM

Plenty of scope for modding a 120....... VVC.... or turbo ..... your ingenuity and wallet are the only limits..... how about a turbo'd VVC

jamesc777 05-05-11 02:35 PM

i think you will enjoy the 120, i know there not the v6 but they have a lovely sound and they still feel quick. there seems to be a few out there, pity i think im going to have to sell mine, Sid is great but going to have to get an auto!! :unsure:
good luck with traders, they are usually very tight on what they offer for any car never mind MG's. hope work is keeping you busy and happy hunting.