theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Result from Reidy Remaps! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8660)

R1CSO 01-07-09 07:24 PM

Result from Reidy Remaps!

Well i popped over to see Mick (the diamond geezer) Stamford on sunday, who fitted my brand new plenum (which had brand new VIS motors and a brand new throttle body already fitted!) and my HID conversion lights.

Today i went over to Yeovil for the re-map......

Before gave 177bhp

After a few runs and a bit of tweeking we got 196bhp

It was a hot day (28C) so i should be gettin 200bhp on a cooler day and with a heat shield around my filter!! :punk:

(Only performance mods i got is de-cat, TVR Tuscan carbon backbox and my own induction kit with ITG filter in engine bay)

Cheers again Mick....luv ya!

Bobdope2002 01-07-09 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1CSO (Post 111932)

Cheers again Mick....luv ya!

:blink::blink:

R1CSO 01-07-09 07:42 PM

may have got a little carried away there, but he was bloody excellent and worked through the pain of his shagged back!

R1CSO 01-07-09 08:05 PM

177 torques also, up from 152!

Craig 01-07-09 08:33 PM

Thats impressive! Nice one!

shroonie29 01-07-09 08:42 PM

Nice rsults :)
I'm considering a long drive down to Reidy myself ;)

Shroon

stamford 01-07-09 08:43 PM

My pleasure Ric, glad to help. My daughter loves your car btw ;)

R1CSO 01-07-09 08:53 PM

even with all the dead bugs on the windscreen!? lol

TjP 01-07-09 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1CSO (Post 111937)
177 torques also, up from 152!

Was the low torque because of the old plenum?

I thought standard was 177lb-ft, and with mods it would be higher?? Im a bit confused cause I think Adam posted a few days ago with similar torque, but Im sure there was someone a few weeks ago with 190lb-ft with the usual mods.

Anyways though, thats a nice power figure for sure!!

afcbadam 01-07-09 09:43 PM

the kv6 doesnt gain alot of torque tbh it gains a few bhp but not so much torque with that. the torque figure seems to be all over the place without a remap. risco before was 152ft lb, mine before was 161 ft lb but only 2 weeks before mine made 190 ft lb of torque on a different set of rollers. the remap mainly sorts the kv6 out and gets it back to standard torque (if it ever made that from the factory) rather than gain big power.

shroonie29 01-07-09 09:46 PM

Most of the standard 180s' I've seen figures for only make around 170lbft

Shroon

shroonie29 01-07-09 09:47 PM

Last time I was on the rollers [I] only made 170BHP with 177lbft lol

Shroon

afcbadam 01-07-09 09:50 PM

they throw up all sorts of figure's. if you were to put 10 zs 180's in a drag race id put my car on then all finishing very very closely. there wouldnt be anything noticable in it

shroonie29 01-07-09 09:52 PM

V true.
The tuner who did my roller test then took my car out to feel the flat area it showed on the rollers.
He said it went really well lol (she made 170 @ around 6,000 then no more lol)

Shroon

afcbadam 01-07-09 10:00 PM

my 180 is roughly 16 bhp better than standard, puts out the same torque as standard. its very slightly quicker, but wont make a much of a difference in the real world, if any.
IMHO my mods have improved the acceleration a tiny amount bit but the noise level's a huge amount!!!

if your worried about how well your 180 goes, the best thing to do is to keep the plenum in good working order

stamford 01-07-09 10:46 PM

What I found strange was Ric's torque and power curve, not one I have seen before, very odd with blips all over the range. The torque curve being the one that baffled me. Without a doubt the whole plenum design/mechanism and vis valve build quality makes a huge difference to the final figures and delivery. There is no consistency here which makes it very difficult to set a benchmark.

Ric's plenum was replaced Sunday morning, this was brand new and came complete with brand new power and balance vis units, brand new throttle body, pots and IACV. However it showed a healthy jump in output from 177 but I was surprised that it was low to start with considering it had an ITG, decat and custom rear silencer. I would have expected to see at least 185-190 with the ecu 'learning' these mods as best it can. Mine started with 190 before topping at 200 after mapping.

This only underlines what I said earlier in that there is no consistency in the build quality and it always comes back to the plenum and vis system which dictates the torque figures and eventual power delivery. If the torque dips early and takes time to recover then this will have an effect on the final power figure before it tails off towards the redline area.

If the balance valve operation can be tweaked then I'm sure there is scope for improving the torque curve therefore ramping up the power albeit slightly. For those running standard cams I think we are chasing that last 5bhp and at the mercy of build quality. Those running cams will benefit from the longer duration and another 10-12bhp at slightly higher revs where most people wouldn't probably notice or even take their car.

afcbadam 01-07-09 10:51 PM

i personally think untill such time a new plenum is designed we are all going to see inconsistant power and torque figures. as mick underlines no plenum seems to be the same, they seem to have left the factory with inconsistant figures, and this seems to be showing on the rollers, and final in the figures after a re-map. untill a plenum is designed that will give a 180 a consistant power and torque figure this will always be an issue and a talking point. it also puts a big bold line under how bad the origional/standard plenum really is

shroonie29 01-07-09 11:14 PM

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...9/KV6graph.jpg

Is the official ZS180 power graph

Shroon

afcbadam 01-07-09 11:27 PM

do you have any more?? a more detailed one? maybe my plenum isnt so fooked as mine is very similar to that?? just with higher numbers

shroonie29 01-07-09 11:41 PM

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...2Nov172236.jpg

All the MGR graphs as OE;)

Shtroon

Phate 02-07-09 09:20 AM

I shall be visiting Reidy soon hopefully :)

Dan1971 02-07-09 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 111943)
My pleasure Ric, glad to help. My daughter loves your car btw ;)

The car .....:hmm:

I digress .... How much do these re-map / improvements cost ?

p_b82 02-07-09 10:14 AM

£200 to £250 (or at least it was\is for the dervs), but best to give matt a call\txt or drop him a pm over on .org

stamford 02-07-09 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 112018)
The car .....:hmm:

I digress .... How much do these re-map / improvements cost ?

Worth every penny Dan.

afcbadam 02-07-09 11:46 AM

mine was £200 cash!

made a good improvenent on my car even though the plenum isnt working 100%. my car was very flat between 4 and 5 k before it went in, this is now the best bit. it was also over fueling at the top end, matt also sorted this out. well worth the trip down there.

R1CSO 02-07-09 04:40 PM

Yeah was £200 cash for me also.

ZS 02-07-09 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afcbadam (Post 112029)
mine was £200 cash!

made a good improvenent on my car even though the plenum isnt working 100%. my car was very flat between 4 and 5 k before it went in, this is now the best bit. it was also over fueling at the top end, matt also sorted this out. well worth the trip down there.

Where is Mat based?

Phate 02-07-09 05:08 PM

Some 'er set! *dubs straw hat*

3 Kingfisher Close
Gazelle Road
Lynx Trading Estate
Yeovil
Somerset
BA20 2PJ

That's his address :)

Phate 02-07-09 05:09 PM

£200 is a good price though. When my car is jigged and I have a new plenum and vis valves I'll give him a shout :)

Dave ZS-X 02-07-09 05:23 PM

i dont doubt these maps are gaining something but i would like to see it verified before and after on another set of rollers.
I have seen my own car and other kv6's rolling roaded and each time it was run up it made slightly more power with no tweeking at all.
Mine was run at a place in chesterfield, brand spanking rollers and a pukka bloke and i was looking for some power i thought i was misssing, as it happened car was perferct and first time it was ran up it made 200 dead but we did multiple runs as we were checking afr's etc but we actually changed nothing at all yet each run it made just a nadge more power till the final run when it made 205 bhp...thats not the only time ive seen this either, you always need to do at least 4-5 runs imo to start getting a true reading and roller days only run once, twice at best.

Dave

Murray203ps 02-07-09 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave ZS-X (Post 112060)
i dont doubt these maps are gaining something but i would like to see it verified before and after on another set of rollers.
I have seen my own car and other kv6's rolling roaded and each time it was run up it made slightly more power with no tweeking at all.
Mine was run at a place in chesterfield, brand spanking rollers and a pukka bloke and i was looking for some power i thought i was misssing, as it happened car was perferct and first time it was ran up it made 200 dead but we did multiple runs as we were checking afr's etc but we actually changed nothing at all yet each run it made just a nadge more power till the final run when it made 205 bhp...thats not the only time ive seen this either, you always need to do at least 4-5 runs imo to start getting a true reading and roller days only run once, twice at best.

Dave

I agree dave. A few runs are necessecary for the rollers to adjust for the car in question imo. Likewise i thought i'd be adjusting some parameters to gain a few horses when i went down to see matt but as it happened it made 210 straight away and ended at 213 after a few runs. I think matts rollers are pretty accurate as he reckons he put on his audi a3 which is factory spec and it made the exact figure the company quote. As we all know though rollers are funny things and can be different werever you go.

Phate 02-07-09 06:17 PM

Well I'll be happy to do this then. I'll get my car dyno'd where it was done last time and got 185.3 (this was before the exhaust), I'll get my remap done and go back to the rollers to see what it says :)

Now who wants to pay for my remap :p

afcbadam 02-07-09 06:26 PM

mine was the same, first run at reidy remaps, with exhaust and induction, it made 179 bhp. i said to matt thats low so he re-ran it, second time round it was 184 bhp iirc???? my car gained 5 bhp in 20 seconds?? without touching anything.

whilst he was remapping it, he done 2 runs, one immediatly after the another , he didnt change anything, it was run on the same map and it lost 4 bhp. 5 minutes later he re ran it again and it made what it did the first time round.

rolling roads are never going be 100% accurate, they are just a rough figure.

Dave ZS-X 02-07-09 07:23 PM

another thing, superchips did a re map for the zs 180 that was supposed to gain 12 bhp but none of it was top end it was all mid range.
George knows his kv6's and he did 180 re maps that also showed no top end gain it was all mid range, roverdose also tried it with no joy...so if superchips and george and roverdose who lets face it all know their stuff, and all tried and failed to find extra peak power , then how come some bloke whos never seen a kv6 before can all of a sudden find a nice lump of extra top end power. ??

Dave

afcbadam 02-07-09 08:11 PM

he gained about 12 bhp from mine. and a 11 ft lb torque. what ever he has done has definatally made a difference. its definatally better in 2nd and 3rd gear.

looking at my before and after graph, and looking at micks whilst i was down there, there is an improvement all the way through the rev range

stamford 02-07-09 08:20 PM

So where has all of this come from then? A few weeks back it wasn't an issue and now some people have had success he gets questioned? Sounds like sour grapes to me. In order to question anything you will need hard facts to prove it beyond all reasonable doubt. Just because other 'experts' may not have succeeded does not mean they are correct in their assumptions or know their stuff.

In order to know something you must first understand it and therefore under the cause and effect.

Well if people have such an opinion no wonder we get nowhere with research and development, never give anyone the benefit of the doubt and experience. I went into this with an open mind and the result was better than expected. 28 years of engineering and a Masters Degree has taught me plenty and that is based on evidence and not bullshit.

R1CSO 02-07-09 09:18 PM

Just left an M-reg M3 for dead, he was trying bless him but i pulled away nicely along a dual carrigeway. re-map going well :thumbsup:

carmadbaker 02-07-09 09:26 PM

how much do they charge for a remap on the zeds then peeps? mine only pulled 185 on a warm day on sunday :( i want more!!!

talkingcars 02-07-09 09:31 PM

£200 cash aparently.

carmadbaker 02-07-09 09:33 PM

altho....really.....whats the point in chasing numbers? lol whether you have 120bhp or 300bhp......it doesn't REALLY matter aslong as the car still puts a smile on your face :) my zed certainly doesn't fail in that area!