theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Waiting 7 weeks for a replacement engine. (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22084)

littlened 26-07-12 12:44 PM

Waiting 7 weeks for a replacement engine.

Hi All,

I bought a KV6 engine from someone back in May. I found the guy on eBay but didn't go through eBay to buy the engine. I paid via Paypal though.

I got the engine and fitted it to the car. It had an oil leak so I replaced the crankshaft oil seal.

Anyway, water is mixing fairly heavily with the oil. I've only had the car on the drive running for the odd 5 minutes. I've flushed the engine and refilled with fresh oil, but it still comes out a creamy colour.

I was given a 120 day warranty with the engine so I contacted the seller who agreed to send a replacement engine so I could take out the old one and fit the new one in the same, and then ship the old engine back to him.

The problem is I've been waiting 7 weeks for the replacement engine to arrive. I chase it up about once a week, and usually get told it'll be out the following week, but it usually isn't.

I'm stuck now, I don't know where to go from here. I obviously need the new engine, and I think I've been patient enough waiting this long.

I don't want to jump to conclusion and say I'm getting my pants pulled down, because the delays could be genuine. I just want to know how I should proceed from here.

Can anyone provide any advice?

stamford 26-07-12 12:50 PM

Firstly welcome.

Can you not raise a dispute via paypal? I thought you could. Next step would be trading standards, assuming it is a trader? Not sure where to go with this if not a trader. If that were me I would paying them a visit and taking some back-up.

littlened 26-07-12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 264884)
Firstly welcome.

Can you not raise a dispute via paypal? I thought you could. Next step would be trading standards, assuming it is a trader? Not sure where to go with this if not a trader. If that were me I would paying them a visit and taking some back-up.

I believe you can only raise a dispute within 45 days, and we're past that. I think i'm up to about day 86 now.

I looked on eBay to see if the seller was selling anything else, and he doesn't have any active account any longer.

Well, he seems to be a trader, it's a limited company, so maybe you're right, I could try Trading Standards.

I was going to try and diagnose the engine myself, I'm expect head gasket (although rare on the KV6), but I didn't want to invalidate the warranty, especially if it turned out to be something more serious.

It's not the first issue I had with the seller. I originally bought an engine from him, and after a month of not receiving it (it was damaged in transit) I got a refund.

vanishing days 26-07-12 12:57 PM

what's the company name?

littlened 26-07-12 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanishing days (Post 264887)
what's the company name?

MG Rover Motorsport UK

I contacted the seller last week and advised him that I need the engine this week or I'd need to take it further.

ZS 26-07-12 01:00 PM

Ned...

If it helps at all I have a 180 I am breaking, the KV6 engine is pretty much all there still (needs the manifold screwing back down and a cam \ crank sensor installed) 85k miles and was in perfect condition when I parked the car up :)

I can do you a good deal on the engine if your interested?

Personally I would be asking for my money back from the trader and looking elsewhere for a new engine :)

ZS 26-07-12 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlened (Post 264888)
MG Rover Motorsport UK

I contacted the seller last week and advised him that I need the engine this week or I'd need to take it further.

Isn't that George? :book:

littlened 26-07-12 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 264890)
Isn't that George? :book:

The guys called George, other than that I don't know who it is, I just found him on eBay selling an engine.

stamford 26-07-12 01:05 PM

Oh dear I think it is.................this is getting too much.

littlened 26-07-12 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 264894)
Oh dear I think it is.................this is getting too much.

To much, am I missing something?