theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The MOT thread (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19848)

Ritchy 10-02-12 08:33 PM

The MOT thread

thought id make this rather than a fresh thread everytime someone passes or fails lol,

il start, yesterday, for the 5th MOT in a row, pass no advisories, and all ive done to the car MOT wise in the last year is the exhaust and a set of tyres...not bad i think

peterzs 10-02-12 09:13 PM

Not bad at all!!!!

Lukeus101 10-02-12 09:25 PM

Always a good feeling :)

Stephen 12-03-12 10:58 AM

Mine just passed :)!

no advisories!

stamford 12-03-12 11:10 AM

Well done, got mine soon, think age is creeping up on it!

Ritchy 12-03-12 11:24 AM

Whahaaaaay

steven.winder 12-03-12 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 242388)
Well done, got mine soon, think age is creeping up on it!

I wouldn't worry, mine is older than yours and passed first time :)

Phate 12-03-12 12:38 PM

Mines due next month :blink:

LozMachine 12-03-12 05:38 PM

Mine passed today. Couple of advisories on ball joint dust covers perished but "still protecting joint" . Was registered 10 years ago this year, think we'll have a birthday party............:yay:

peterzs 12-03-12 07:17 PM

Well done Loz.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

daytona365 12-03-12 09:08 PM

Well mine passed all 3 so far with no advisories............apart from being too BRIGHT!!

zsserbia 13-03-12 12:35 AM

I was a bit embarrassed the way my one passed a month ago... Well, even though we got strict MOT rules in Serbia as well, it was the only derv that day (-25 degrees celsius). The test rollers were covered in thick layer of ice, so there was next to nothing braking force, yet brake distribution was spot on, ha! The guy was to polite to bring me back some other day, in the end, ice wasn't my fault :icecream:

petet16 26-03-12 11:49 AM

Passed this morning, that's 5 on the bounce now, just advisory on mot 3 for pitted brake discs:beer:

peterzs 26-03-12 11:57 AM

Well done great feeling when it gets through.

You cant be braking hard enough, track day will soon sort the pits.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Captain Peanut 26-03-12 12:56 PM

Mines due in a week or so but have a couple of bits that may need sorting. The exhaust needs replacing (if anyone can help I started a separate thread) and there is a 1 inch split on the n/s cv boot. not sure if this would be a fail or not?

stamford 26-03-12 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 245163)
Passed this morning, that's 5 on the bounce now, just advisory on mot 3 for pitted brake discs:beer:

Good to hear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Peanut (Post 245179)
Mines due in a week or so but have a couple of bits that may need sorting. The exhaust needs replacing (if anyone can help I started a separate thread) and there is a 1 inch split on the n/s cv boot. not sure if this would be a fail or not?

A split CV will fail.

petet16 26-03-12 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 245164)
Well done great feeling when it gets through.

You cant be braking hard enough, track day will soon sort the pits.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

It was Jills V6, I'll tell her to brake harder, I'm not allowed to track it:D

peterzs 26-03-12 02:14 PM

Thought it a bit strange!!!!!!

Captain Peanut 26-03-12 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 245193)
A split CV will fail.

Bummer, thought that might be the case. Are these difficult to change, I see the parts are under a fiver but I don't know if I have the right tools.

peterzs 26-03-12 02:28 PM

Just had the Punto done, passed, but advised grease was coming from n/s cv boot.

Thought it was a pass or fail?????

Captain Peanut 26-03-12 02:33 PM

More confused now. There was an advisory on last years MOT for the CV boot but can't say if it was split or just tatty.

May have to go the safe route and just replace it.

Captain Slow 27-03-12 04:20 PM

Mine passed yesterday with no advisories! :) should expect it to really considering it's done about 2500 miles since the last MOT...

stamford 31-03-12 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Slow (Post 245489)
Mine passed yesterday with no advisories! :) should expect it to really considering it's done about 2500 miles since the last MOT...

Low miles!

Mine went in this morning and tbh was expecting advisories seeing it is nearly 10 years old and does get used!

I've done a shade under 9k miles since last years and all they picked up was tyres being iffy and that is due to the camber as lowered so was expecting that really. Not bad considering the tyres are nearly 3 years old and have covered around 26k miles.

Also mentioned but not advised was leaking O/S inner cv boot, not worried as replacing these when dropping the gearbox. N/S handbrake slightly under par.

So all's good for another year and has never failed an MOT since new.

Also blows holes in the de-cat MOT regs, 3/4 years since de-cat and MIL kit and still passes with flying colours and the new visual check ;)

peterzs 31-03-12 12:02 PM

Well done, fit to fight another year.

Castle Coombe or Goodwood!!

:beer2::beer2:

Captain Peanut 13-04-12 09:33 AM

Have dropped mine off at the testers this morning. Not due until 15:30 but have already got fingers crossed!

peterzs 13-04-12 11:18 AM

cross mine us well.

Captain Peanut 13-04-12 03:45 PM

Thanks Peter, must have worked as have just had a call to say it's passed. Panicked slightly when the phone rang 10 minutes after it was booked in but guess they started it early.

One advisory on the nearside CV boot but otherwise a clean bill of health. Think that deserves a couple of pints tonight and a good clean for the car over the weekend!

stamford 13-04-12 05:16 PM

Not bad going, another year of hassle free motoring.

peterzs 13-04-12 06:00 PM

Sounds good, they do have a good history of getting through.

Captain Peanut 13-04-12 06:05 PM

Interestingly, the garage have advised that the cam belt an tracking should be done soon. His face was a picture when I told him the belts were 12 months old an then showed him the receipt for them doing the tracking last month!

peterzs 13-04-12 06:08 PM

Suspect they have been told to drum up some work, just unlucky you had it all done!!!!!!!!

Jem 08-05-12 07:15 PM

And another ZS goes through without any problems. But i could well be saying it failed if the owner of the garage wasn't so nice,I thought i would sit and wait for the mot to be done,Not to long into the mot i saw this man come in chatting to the owner of the garage i heared the owner talking about mots to this guy and then heared him say he has another mot later on.

When my mot was done i was greeted with the nice words saying its passed,But then he said i could of been waiting even longer because a VOSA inspector came in and wanted to check the the mot,Lucky the owner said to him no and made a excuse saying i need to get back,If he had not said that i think VOSA would of done a fail being its a Diesel with no cat.

peterzs 08-05-12 08:58 PM

Sounds like a lucky escape, always easy to find something thats not 100%.

Still not sure if no cat would = a fail, see when my ones due.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Jem 08-05-12 09:07 PM

Hi Pete

I remember someone saying VOSA being very strict and as the exhaust isn't a complete system without the cat then VOSA would fail it or fine you if it was a on the road check?

Something like that.

As far as the garage mot chaps no cat is fine as its not checked,Not a word was said about the decat. Im sure VOSA would of said something.

peterzs 08-05-12 09:14 PM

When they do their audit on the garage, you get the feeling they have to find something.

Just to prove they are doing their job and have something to put on their report.

Still got my old cat, so if the worse happens I can switch it back, hopefully used s/s nuts and bolts on the decat!!!!

Jem 08-05-12 09:21 PM

Yea i still have mine so it wouldn't of been to bad,I have never heared of anyone having the car checked over by vosa awell,I guess vosa do it to make sure garages are doing it right.

Ritchy 08-05-12 09:27 PM

lucky for you, more like lucky for him, if vosa had found him passing a car that should fail hed of ended up with points and a fine:)

idge2003 08-05-12 09:46 PM

I had an MOT done last week! It failed but on simple fixes that are being done tomorrow. Also had a few advisories but nothing major again! I got away with the engine light being on as just an advisory which I was glad about because I thought it was a definite fail but apparently no official date has been set for that to come in. Also I was told the lack of a cat only becomes a problem if the car fails the emissions test!

Brett

Jem 08-05-12 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy (Post 252965)
lucky for you, more like lucky for him, if vosa had found him passing a car that should fail hed of ended up with points and a fine:)

True...,Being a diesel could VOSA say anything to the garage though? As its not part of the test? I know some people on .org had sent vosa a email asking about the new rules and the cat.

(The check for a CAT only applies to petrol engined vehicles which qualify
for a full CAT test. There will be an update to the Inspection Manual in
Spring which will clarify this.)

How i understood it from someone else if vosa get involved at looking at your car then that reply goes out of the window because without a cat its not really a complete working system,And Vosa being strict they would have something to say about that,Who knows how vosa would react??

Phate 08-05-12 10:11 PM

Car flew through last week, no advisories. :)