theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Broken down.... (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=7869)

Phate 07-05-09 05:10 PM

Broken down....

So Im currently sitting on the A47 inbetween Leicester and Peterborough (if anyone is nearby feel free to come and say hi!

Drove fine all the way up here, left for home then it just didn't feel right...got going and then suddenly Bang bang bang

So I pull over and slowly try to engage a gear but just more banging noise, asif the gearbox can't grip the driveshaft.

Had a look and the car is covered in gearbox oil underneith :( - gawd knows what happened?

So I'm 99miles from home and waiting for the recovery lorry to come and get me (within the hour they reckon)

I just hope the driver doesnt smell!

Hope my car is ok :(

Dan1971 07-05-09 05:12 PM

There in spirit mate ..... Hope it's not gonna be too costly !!

Maxfly 07-05-09 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 102433)
So Im currently sitting on the A47 inbetween Leicester and Peterborough (if anyone is nearby feel free to come and say hi!

Drove fine all the way up here, left for home then it just didn't feel right...got going and then suddenly Bang bang bang

So I pull over and slowly try to engage a gear but just more banging noise, asif the gearbox can't grip the driveshaft.

Had a look and the car is covered in gearbox oil underneith :( - gawd knows what happened?

So I'm 99miles from home and waiting for the recovery lorry to come and get me (within the hour they reckon)

I just hope the driver doesnt smell!

Hope my car is ok :(

**** man what a bummer!! doesn't sound good tbh, hopefully sounds worse than it is, though if your needing a new box you could get an lsd fitted wi it...there's always positives:D:D

Phate 07-05-09 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 102435)
There in spirit mate ..... Hope it's not gonna be too costly !!

Cheers dude....if its a new box I might make Ralph an offer on the one he has at the workshop...already has an lsd.

vinny1979 07-05-09 05:32 PM

oh mate im not far away , wel about 30 miles, I would have came said hi if was closer. Sounds like the bell housing has cracked on gearbox or something? Bummer!!

Phate 07-05-09 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinny1979 (Post 102442)
oh mate im not far away , wel about 30 miles, I would have came said hi if was closer. Sounds like the bell housing has cracked on gearbox or something? Bummer!!

Just spoke to a mate on the phone. His money is on the dif...

30 miles aint far when your car works :p

vinny1979 07-05-09 05:55 PM

yeah my brm did the same, awful noises, oil everywhere, the diff dead LOL. Ah well. Wasy come easy car the joys of motoring buddy. what you doing up here anyway?

Phate 07-05-09 05:57 PM

Right recovery man has been and is sending out a flatbed (why they didn't do that in the first place I don't really know) we popped the bonnet and the cv joint between the gearbox and the driveshaft has (and I quote) exploded. You can grab the driveshaft and move it about, whether or not its done any internal damage to the gearbox I don't know...we shall wait and see.

lewerty 07-05-09 05:59 PM

was u giving it some when it went?

Phate 07-05-09 06:02 PM

Quote:

what you doing up here anyway?
Had some work to do up here dude. Wish I had said no now lol

Phate 07-05-09 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewerty (Post 102453)
was u giving it some when it went?

Nope, thank god. I'd hate to think what damage could be done if I was redlining it.

starfire039 07-05-09 07:04 PM

:( sorry to hear that dude.

Phate 07-05-09 08:00 PM

Nearly home....

afcbadam 07-05-09 08:13 PM

sorry to here that jake. just said hi to you over on themgzr. lol

starfire039 07-05-09 09:18 PM

i know you don't want to hear this... but i will never get the chance otherwise

if i was to race you right now, my car would win :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce:

shroonie29 07-05-09 09:24 PM

What was the verdict??
Popped a shaft??

Shroon

stamford 07-05-09 09:25 PM

:hmmm: new gearbox time and an ATB! :yes: wish mine would go!

Boot Hill Bandit 07-05-09 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 102538)
:hmmm: new gearbox time and an ATB! :yes: wish mine would go!

Hand your keys over Mick I am sure I can make the same happen to your gearbox :devil:

yep...........come on Phate..........a quick call to a breakers for a low miler box and take it to Rally Matt for that essential Quaiffe ATB LSD ;)

Jim

Phate 07-05-09 09:28 PM

lol I'll let you have that one :p

Well I'm in, it's too dark to even try and look at it now and I got it dropped at the yard as they have a pit and all the tools I need - plus a van to run about in :D

I'm hoping it's just a driveshaft, but there is BOUND to be some gearbox damage from the noise it was making :cry:

Like I need an excuse for a new one ;)

mikesezgreen 07-05-09 09:33 PM

Bad news mate...whats the millage on it now?

starfire039 07-05-09 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boot Hill Bandit (Post 102539)
yep...........come on Phate..........a quick call to a breakers for a low miler box and take it to Rally Matt for that essential Quaiffe ATB LSD ;)

Jim

jim's right, perhaps this is a blessing in disguise :lttd:

Phate 07-05-09 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesezgreen (Post 102548)
Bad news mate...whats the millage on it now?

81.5k now. It needs the cambelt doing soon as well...

I wonder if that 650quid Zed is still for sale....I'd make that in selling mine for parts alone! hmmm....thinking cap time I reckon...

Phate 07-05-09 09:36 PM

Ignoring the intial cost of the box how much is it for the LSD and fitting to the box? bout a grand isn't it?

shroonie29 07-05-09 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 102541)
lol I'll let you have that one :p

Well I'm in, it's too dark to even try and look at it now and I got it dropped at the yard as they have a pit and all the tools I need - plus a van to run about in :D

I'm hoping it's just a driveshaft, but there is BOUND to be some gearbox damage from the noise it was making :cry:

ATB it is then :)

Shroon

Phate 07-05-09 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shroonie29 (Post 102557)
ATB it is then :)

Shroon

Unless someone wants to pay for it....until I get a job I can't fork out a grand on the car, despite it sitting in the bank account :( Although I'm very close to getting one (it currently seems)

We'll see....just hope the Zed isn't off the road for long :cry:

shroonie29 07-05-09 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 102558)
Unless someone wants to pay for it....until I get a job I can't fork out a grand on the car, despite it sitting in the bank account :( Although I'm very close to getting one (it currently seems)

We'll see....just hope the Zed isn't off the road for long :cry:

You could try & source a low mileage Vitesse box??????
same 1st to 4th,longer 5th & the added bonus of the 4.2 final drive :) (if I knew earlier lol) Also has a Torsen type B as standard ;)

Shroon

Phate 07-05-09 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shroonie29 (Post 102559)
You could try & source a low mileage Vitesse box??????
same 1st to 4th,longer 5th & the added bonus of the 4.2 final drive :) (if I knew earlier lol) Also has a Torsen type B as standard ;)

Shroon

Will it bolt straight on?

Whats the bonus of the 4.2 final drive?

And which Vitesse does it come from? any of them?

Questions? :D

mikesezgreen 07-05-09 09:50 PM

If money is tight fella, bit of good news...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

May keep it on the road until you can go to ATB ;-)

Phate 07-05-09 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesezgreen (Post 102564)
If money is tight fella, bit of good news...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

May keep it on the road until you can go to ATB ;-)

Cheers matey. I really don't think the gearbox is knackered to be perfectly honest because when it came off the flatbed I moved it about the driveway...it selects all gears fine, even drives (if going slowly enough) so I'm really hoping it's just a driveshaft :)

shroonie29 07-05-09 10:01 PM

800 Vitty turbo.Not 100%,but early ones could of had a type A(don't quote me lol)
Bonus of the 4.2 is that acceleration is better than the 3.9 OE final drive.(I want this myself but found out too late after my ATB went in)
Just throwing a few balls in the air for ya :)

What You Will See When You Have Removed the Drive Shafts On A Type B Equipped Gearbox

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...uff/TypeB2.jpg

Shroon

Phate 07-05-09 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shroonie29 (Post 102570)
800 Vitty turbo.Not 100%,but early ones could of had a type A(don't quote me lol)
Bonus of the 4.2 is that acceleration is better than the 3.9 OE final drive.(I want this myself but found out too late after my ATB went in)
Just throwing a few balls in the air for ya :)

Shroon

Nice, cheers dude :)

Just spoke to my mate whos a bit of a vitty nutty and he said the mk2 vit's had the Type B. I was also hoping he'd have one lying around somewhere :p

If it's just a driveshaft I'll keep my eyes pealed for a box at some point.

shroonie29 07-05-09 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 102572)
Nice, cheers dude :)

Just spoke to my mate whos a bit of a vitty nutty and he said the mk2 vit's had the Type B. I was also hoping he'd have one lying around somewhere :p

If it's just a driveshaft I'll keep my eyes pealed for a box at some point.

At least ya have a few ideas to play with now lol

Shroon

Phate 07-05-09 10:07 PM

Hehe, how is the accleration better btw? is it just quicker?

shroonie29 07-05-09 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 102574)
Hehe, how is the accleration better btw? is it just quicker?

It will accelerate more quickly,but you will have to change gear at a lower speed for each gear (not much lower but every little helps lol)
I had some calculations done & it would make a 30-100 around 1/3-1/2 of a second quicker on the OE power band.
Add to that a better mid range & peak power & you are seeing a real world difference(doesn't sound much,but in car terms like for like it is a good gain)

Shroon

Marky Mark 08-05-09 01:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your ZS Jake, hope you get it sorted out soon, probably see you down at Ralph's soon mate

arwilson80 08-05-09 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 102541)

No, but you need the £'s. ;)

Bummer...

Phate 08-05-09 10:03 AM

Time to start ringing around!

Phate 08-05-09 10:24 AM

Got a driveshaft on the way. £60 + courier, will be with me today or Monday :mml:

Many thanks to summitmg :)

Explained the situation, they are going to keep hold of the gearbox for me to just incase :)

arwilson80 08-05-09 10:43 AM

You fitting it yersel' or is the phone ringing at EMS now? :)

Phate 08-05-09 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arwilson80 (Post 102638)
You fitting it yersel' or is the phone ringing at EMS now? :)

I have no way of getting to EMS, plus I have all the tools and everything here at the yard...the driveshaft could arrive today if it does my mate Rob who is handy with a spanner is going to help me fit it :)