theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   oil in induction kit (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10899)

andys1981 25-01-10 04:14 PM

oil in induction kit

hi folks, noticed my induction kit was covered in oil,could barely see thru it,should this happen,a took photos but my memory cards not working now,ave replaced it with a new one,should i be worried

Jay-ZS+ 25-01-10 04:37 PM

Do you have a catch tank fitted?

andys1981 25-01-10 05:04 PM

no mate, is that something i need,ave never used 1 either,they easy to fit

Jay-ZS+ 25-01-10 05:36 PM

Assuming its a 180 then its prob oil from the throttle body woking its way dow your induction, Always a good idea to fit one to help prevent oil vapours getting in to the plenum/VIS

andys1981 25-01-10 05:41 PM

yeah mate, thats exactly where its coming from, the ind kit hasnt been changed in a while,as it was filthy,ave put a new one on today,will keep an eye on it,thanks for the info mate

andys1981 28-01-10 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ (Post 138659)
Assuming its a 180 then its prob oil from the throttle body woking its way dow your induction, Always a good idea to fit one to help prevent oil vapours getting in to the plenum/VIS

can u fit a catch tank using a plastic bottle,also what pipes do u attatch to it,if u buy one do u get instructions on how to do it,couple o mates at work suggested plastic bottle,jus wanna do the safe way,yah it is a 180,could i take throttle body off for a quick clean,mould i need a new gasket,sorry for all the questions bud,am new to mgs

stamford 28-01-10 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l4cwd (Post 138924)
can u fit a catch tank using a plastic bottle,also what pipes do u attatch to it,if u buy one do u get instructions on how to do it,couple o mates at work suggested plastic bottle,jus wanna do the safe way,yah it is a 180,could i take throttle body off for a quick clean,mould i need a new gasket,sorry for all the questions bud,am new to mgs

You can clean the TB when the top hose is removed.

A plastic bottle will look **** and will collapse due to the vacuum. Get a proper aluminium catch tank with fittings, clips and get some stronger hoses, the ones they normally supply are not long enough and they collapse due to the vacuum. Plenty of pictures on here, take a look in my album, there are a few engine bay ones in there. Ignore the blue hoses, I changed them for reinforced ones.

seany 28-01-10 11:45 AM

were did you get your one from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 138926)

A plastic bottle will look **** and will collapse due to the vacuum. Get a proper aluminium catch tank with fittings, clips and get some stronger hoses, the ones they normally supply are not long enough and they collapse due to the vacuum. Plenty of pictures on here, take a look in my album, there are a few engine bay ones in there. Ignore the blue hoses, I changed them for reinforced ones.

stamford 28-01-10 12:25 PM

Off ebay, was about £38 in p&p, same one as Moto-Build but alot cheaper!

andys1981 28-01-10 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 138926)

thanks for the info bud,dunno how long cars been like this,just kinda worried,am off wkend,so al clean throttle body,and get a catch tank when a get payed,gonna be the longest fortnite ever,thanks