theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Members Cars (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   a little on induction (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8637)

afcbadam 29-06-09 03:04 PM

a little on induction

just to prove that the 180 DOES suffer from heat soak me and matt reid played around with the air filter on the rollers. we compared an induction kit in the wing (open cone) and what would have been an induction kit located in the engine bay (again open cone) and with the filter in the engine bay it lost 4bhp over the filter located in the wing. so to all the owners that have a filter in the engine bay.... PUT IT IN THE WING!

i thought it would suffer but to loose 4 bhp was quite a shock. Reidy also reckons for the people that are running open cones in the wing (like i am) we should run a CAF to the filter from underneath the car.

hope this helps a few of you!

StragglaSteve 29-06-09 03:17 PM

how would a cold air feed to an open cone work? just put the end of the pipe near the cone and air will run through it directly onto the cone?

or does the cone need to be enclosed to benefit from the cold air feed?

afcbadam 29-06-09 03:21 PM

no just put the end near the filter, it will chanel abit more air to it/directly on to it. the air gets in to the wing through the gaps around the arch liner, but there is no direct air route in there. we put the fan directly on to the corner of the bumper and the amont of air that gets in to there isnt great. no the cone doesnt need to be enclosed.

Phate 29-06-09 03:59 PM

I have mine in the engine bay but its an enclosed system. So shouldn't suffer from heatsoak.

afcbadam 29-06-09 04:05 PM

its only the open cone filters jake. enclosed filters are fine just about anywhere

ZS 29-06-09 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phate (Post 111585)
I have mine in the engine bay but its an enclosed system. So shouldn't suffer from heatsoak.

From as much heatsoak... it will still suffer a bit ;)

Phate 29-06-09 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 111588)
From as much heatsoak... it will still suffer a bit ;)

Dyno'd at 185.3bhp so it's good enough for me ;)

Jay-ZS+ 29-06-09 06:00 PM

This is where I think the MK2 get better gains as ive noticed a very slight increase since fitting the bumper as theres the two grills at the side so my cone is just behind that and course theres loads of cold air then :) Surprised it was that much mind! They reckon theres only a 10bhp increase anyway!

stamford 29-06-09 09:59 PM

This is why I say ensure the cold air feed is optimised! Mine is using the nearside foglight aperture, the only available space at present and gulping in cooler air at that level. For sure that is why mine is good for 200.

I still need a gash bumper for R&D purposes ;)

afcbadam 30-06-09 10:08 AM

it there more air from the fog light apature than directly below, just underneath the fromt spoiler. i thought about taking mine from there, and maybe using one of the bolt holes that hold the black undertray on as a support bolt.