theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22326)

guru 15-08-12 11:36 PM

Some jump leads just can't carry enough current to start a V6. I have 2 sets, one is a cheap supermarket type set, very thin cables and small clips, the others are heavy duty ones that could jump a truck! Both times I've tried using the small ones they've done nothing except for get very hot whereas the big ones never fail :)

Of course it could be a weak earth, are you connecting the neg to the batter or the car's body? It does sound more like a battery / earth problem then a starter though.

Ritchy 15-08-12 11:36 PM

Can take a few minutes to charge up from jump leads

guru 15-08-12 11:54 PM

If it takes a few minutes you're probably not using the right leads or a beefy enough power supply ;)
Obviously with thin jump leads be very careful about leaving them connected for any length of time as they will get pretty hot and at worse could cause a fire or other bad things.

KirkJames 16-08-12 08:29 AM

What battery can go into a 180? Voltage etc?

KirkJames 16-08-12 01:41 PM

As above, I need to know what battery I can use to go in my car, I am waiting to go to the scrappies, need some info peeps if possible :)

stamford 16-08-12 02:20 PM

60/63 AH one, 12v of course. Code 063 I believe.

KirkJames 16-08-12 04:05 PM

Thanks Mick,

Managed to source one from a scrappy for £15, they did say they had tested it but I did it myself anyway and it's sitting at a healthy 12.44 (ish).

The CCA of my old one was only 440 :yikes: This one is 590 so should be enough. Strangely tho, the car started today with no problems which just confirms to me what some people were saying all along.

Thanks to everyone, it's nice to be part of such a friendly forum ;) :)

P.S. Car seems to run better, but I'm sure that's just the placebo effect haha :)

Ritchy 16-08-12 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru (Post 268114)
If it takes a few minutes you're probably not using the right leads or a beefy enough power supply ;)
Obviously with thin jump leads be very careful about leaving them connected for any length of time as they will get pretty hot and at worse could cause a fire or other bad things.

Depends how flat the battery is, if its mega flat will take a minute to cgarge up, better to let it vharge first then try it otherwise your drawing probably over 60Amp through the leads and your own alt/battery

guru 16-08-12 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy (Post 268178)
Depends how flat the battery is, if its mega flat will take a minute to cgarge up, better to let it vharge first then try it otherwise your drawing probably over 60Amp through the leads and your own alt/battery

That maybe true, but most people will use poundland jump leads which after a minute will be cooking, so may be a little dangerous to advise that. With my big leads I'm yet to find anything that wouldn't start first time and that includes my Rover Sterling which started first hit after being sat for over 3 years and so way very flat! I do follow the old advice though of turning on the lights, fans, demister etc in the source car to mop up the additional current when you disconnect the cars.

KirkJames 16-08-12 10:46 PM

I've never had a problem starting it with run of the mill leads before. I do now have some heavy duty leads so will use them in future just in case :)