theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22326)

KirkJames 15-08-12 03:06 PM

Please help!

Car wouldn't start yesterday and its just ticking really fast when trying to start. I am pretty sure its the starter motor as this has happened before but my question is can I use the starter motor from any v6 mgr?

stamford 15-08-12 03:12 PM

Have you checked all earth leads on the engine/box and also the 12v mains to the solenoid? I would have thought any KV6 starter would fit but not 100% sure.

petet16 15-08-12 03:13 PM

I think only v6 zs/45, I'll check on that, but I think the zt was different.

petet16 15-08-12 03:16 PM

A few choices zsv6, 1800 k4 from a zr or zs

Fred68 15-08-12 03:18 PM

Duff battery ;)

talkingcars 15-08-12 06:03 PM

Car has been away for a few days hasn't it, like Fred said first thing to check is the battery.

As Pete says there are several choices for the starter, basically any ZS/45/400/ZR/25/200/F/TF with the PG1 box so any 1800cc or above - part number is Part No. NAD101340E http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NAD101340E

KirkJames 15-08-12 09:25 PM

Thanks talkingcars!!
I have got a cheapo starter motor on it's way as money is very tight this month, what with spending out on Alton Towers and Ugg Boots and crap for the missus B-Day. How do I check the battery? Do I just stick my multimeter on the terminals? If so what should it be reading?

Ritchy 15-08-12 09:28 PM

id go flat battery tbh from what your saying, try charging it for a few hours and try it again

ian zs180 15-08-12 09:37 PM

I agree with ritchy would deffo go for the battery first could you not try jump leads on it that way if it turns over you know then the starter is ok

KirkJames 15-08-12 11:26 PM

Jump leads was one of the first things I did and still getting just click click click, I really cant afford a new battery so what second hand ones can I use if it turns out to be that?
I will then buy a new one at the end of the month.
Haven't got a trickle charger either so charging it for a few hours is a no go.

guru 15-08-12 11:36 PM

Some jump leads just can't carry enough current to start a V6. I have 2 sets, one is a cheap supermarket type set, very thin cables and small clips, the others are heavy duty ones that could jump a truck! Both times I've tried using the small ones they've done nothing except for get very hot whereas the big ones never fail :)

Of course it could be a weak earth, are you connecting the neg to the batter or the car's body? It does sound more like a battery / earth problem then a starter though.

Ritchy 15-08-12 11:36 PM

Can take a few minutes to charge up from jump leads

guru 15-08-12 11:54 PM

If it takes a few minutes you're probably not using the right leads or a beefy enough power supply ;)
Obviously with thin jump leads be very careful about leaving them connected for any length of time as they will get pretty hot and at worse could cause a fire or other bad things.

KirkJames 16-08-12 08:29 AM

What battery can go into a 180? Voltage etc?

KirkJames 16-08-12 01:41 PM

As above, I need to know what battery I can use to go in my car, I am waiting to go to the scrappies, need some info peeps if possible :)

stamford 16-08-12 02:20 PM

60/63 AH one, 12v of course. Code 063 I believe.

KirkJames 16-08-12 04:05 PM

Thanks Mick,

Managed to source one from a scrappy for £15, they did say they had tested it but I did it myself anyway and it's sitting at a healthy 12.44 (ish).

The CCA of my old one was only 440 :yikes: This one is 590 so should be enough. Strangely tho, the car started today with no problems which just confirms to me what some people were saying all along.

Thanks to everyone, it's nice to be part of such a friendly forum ;) :)

P.S. Car seems to run better, but I'm sure that's just the placebo effect haha :)

Ritchy 16-08-12 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru (Post 268114)
If it takes a few minutes you're probably not using the right leads or a beefy enough power supply ;)
Obviously with thin jump leads be very careful about leaving them connected for any length of time as they will get pretty hot and at worse could cause a fire or other bad things.

Depends how flat the battery is, if its mega flat will take a minute to cgarge up, better to let it vharge first then try it otherwise your drawing probably over 60Amp through the leads and your own alt/battery

guru 16-08-12 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy (Post 268178)
Depends how flat the battery is, if its mega flat will take a minute to cgarge up, better to let it vharge first then try it otherwise your drawing probably over 60Amp through the leads and your own alt/battery

That maybe true, but most people will use poundland jump leads which after a minute will be cooking, so may be a little dangerous to advise that. With my big leads I'm yet to find anything that wouldn't start first time and that includes my Rover Sterling which started first hit after being sat for over 3 years and so way very flat! I do follow the old advice though of turning on the lights, fans, demister etc in the source car to mop up the additional current when you disconnect the cars.

KirkJames 16-08-12 10:46 PM

I've never had a problem starting it with run of the mill leads before. I do now have some heavy duty leads so will use them in future just in case :)

stamford 17-08-12 07:22 AM

I have some beefy leads, always in the back of the Landy ;)

Smokey 17-08-12 10:09 AM

I've had both, thin ones were rubbish, thick ones do the trick! Glad to hear the cars running again though. Always best to ask here first before spending the hard earned money!

andy-81 18-08-12 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkJames (Post 268174)
Thanks Mick,

Managed to source one from a scrappy for £15, they did say they had tested it but I did it myself anyway and it's sitting at a healthy 12.44 (ish).

The CCA of my old one was only 440 :yikes: This one is 590 so should be enough. Strangely tho, the car started today with no problems which just confirms to me what some people were saying all along.

Thanks to everyone, it's nice to be part of such a friendly forum ;) :)

P.S. Car seems to run better, but I'm sure that's just the placebo effect haha :)

glad you got it sorted pal god bless the scrappies the car will run better with a fresh battery as the alternator isnt working as hard to keep the power in it and trying tp keep the flat battery charged means the alternator will require more effort which in turn will hinder the engine power slightly so the placebo is in fact not!

KirkJames 18-08-12 04:09 PM

That's good news, just need to replace these pissing CV joints now ;)

andy-81 19-08-12 02:15 PM

is it just the boots or are the cv's goosed as well?

KirkJames 19-08-12 03:13 PM

It's just the boots on the Cv joints but abs rings are mullered so need doing anyway. Fed up with driving with the abs fuse out :)

big_wasa 19-08-12 03:36 PM

ive had three zs's and all three if left for more than a week have a dead batery.......Must be some kind of drain..??

KirkJames 19-08-12 03:43 PM

I had just used mine the day before coming back from Alton Towers. I think it had just had enough and wanted to go to the battery graveyard.

big_wasa 19-08-12 03:47 PM

I have that happen in the sub zero winter but never the middle of summer but at least your on the road again. :strongbench:

KirkJames 19-08-12 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_wasa (Post 268552)
I have that happen in the sub zero winter but never the middle of summer but at least your on the road again. :strongbench:

Yeah but I don't know how good that 2nd hand battery is, whilst coming home last night coming up to a junction she thought about stalling until I shouted ;)

New battery on Pay Day!