theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Popping out of gear (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=26330)

mattie007 10-09-13 09:11 AM

Im at work so not had a chance to look under the bonnet, but had a look around the forums and most point to a 'input shaft bearing' being the cause. Rattling noise at idle that disappears when the clutch is pressed.
Easy fix?

p_b82 10-09-13 09:31 AM

Mine was doing something similar - the circlip holding the driveshaft in wasn't doing it's job so it would **** the oil out, and then at 3000 rpm with the 'right' steering input it would pop out a touch....

No drive and a box full of neutrals... waggle the wheel a bit and it would pop in again!

Made the drive to the airport for work 'exciting' as rally_matt could not reproduce it when he had the car and thought i was cracking up, until he could not get it to pop back in and had to get under the car on the hard shoulder.... He worked out what it was there and then and sorted it :laugh:

mattie007 11-09-13 11:04 PM

Had a few quotes and most garages want a few hours labour plus parts so I'm thinking of changing as its on 94k, plus it has a few niggles. An identical one is for sale privately for £800. Looks in good condition, FSH, 80k miles and HG recently replaced.
My idea is if I can get it for £600, then I can sell my mk2 wheels and a few other bits, swap over the exhaust and induction then weigh in for scrap.
Sensible idea or just spend a few hundred quid on mine but I know it's going to need a major service, radiator and coolant/oil loss sorting as well.

mattie007 25-09-13 05:25 PM

Ok, now the ZT deal is off I want to get this sorted ASAP as I need it for work. Starting to get cold on the motorbike!
Thought I'd start it after 2 weeks and take it round the block. If you pull away slowly you wouldn't notice any issue, it's only when you lift off the clutch quicker than normal. Gear changes are as smooth as when I bought the car on 20k miles so don't think it's the box or gearbox fluids. The gear stick just tends to wobble more in lower revs. Reckon it is a mount of some sorts, so where exactly should I look?

ZS 25-09-13 05:39 PM

Check for play in the universal joint, directly under the gearstick but under the car... if that makes sense?

peterzs 25-09-13 06:48 PM

Isnt there a replacement set of bushes for the gear linkage.

Dan had to get his Ignition blue one sorted, said it was like stirring porridge, trying to change gear.

Dont know if that would pop it out of gear though!!!

:rambo::rambo:

mattie007 25-09-13 09:47 PM

Could be a number of things but I'm taking it to someone on Saturday who will hopefully diagnose the issue. Would be nice to keep it going and past 100k!

mattie007 30-09-13 11:40 AM

Good news! After all that, turns out to be a loose bolt on the engine mount! Think Ritchy wins first prize! Just popped it to a local backstreet garage and £5 later all is well. God I've missed driving that thing :)

POMPSKI 30-09-13 05:10 PM

Which bolt?

mattie007 30-09-13 06:27 PM

One of the bottom ones? I'm not sure exactly but said it had come loose.