theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Stamford’s ZS180 (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25692)

stamford 22-06-19 01:08 PM

Not much progress. Another daughter rescue took a lot of my time and sanity. Weather has got in the way too. Need another kick up the arse I think! Plus I tried changing the rear springs on the A4, broken spring what a pita! Need special tools for that job.

Dan1971 22-06-19 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 379595)
Not much progress. Another daughter rescue took a lot of my time and sanity. Weather has got in the way too. Need another kick up the arse I think! Plus I tried changing the rear springs on the A4, broken spring what a pita! Need special tools for that job.

Kids eh ... who'd have 'em ...

Eldest about to finish his A levels so he's been like a bear with a sore head for the last few weeks. Hope things have settled down now.

Happy to provide the boot .... :soldiers::rambo: :dumbells:

stamford 22-06-19 08:34 PM

Haha cheers Dan. Doesn’t take much to lose the momentum. Difficult finding the time to put in when you have a family, three dogs and grandkids. Guess I’m just fortunate to still have the zed and a space to keep it.

talkingcars 24-06-19 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 379595)
….Plus I tried changing the rear springs on the A4, broken spring what a pita! Need special tools for that job.

One of the rear springs has just gone on the 159, I'm not sure if I should just to replace that one or fit some Ti springs that are slightly lower and stiffer. Rears are easy, fronts are a mare.

stamford 23-08-19 09:13 PM

Progress will be slow now. Gina has decided to bring her wedding forward to June 2020. So that’s me poor for a while. My ZS plans to get it roadworthy have taken a big hit. S6 also sitting there, can’t find a buyer as it is. Cars eh!

I’ll do what I can on the ZS with what I’ve got, replaced one rear arm bush, had to buy the tool, glad I did, right pig to get out. Refurb that before I refit it and then do the other side.

peterzs 24-08-19 12:13 PM

END UP AS A RETIREMENT JOB.

money goes out quicker than it comes in, unfortunately.

Dan1971 24-08-19 02:19 PM

Yeah but weddings are great fun .... :beer2:

stamford 12-10-19 06:48 AM

Little update. Weather hampering progress, sound deadening removal carried out when raining! Bit of a faux pas with one of the steel side sills, bought a 2” hole punch/swaging tool. Thread stripped and reverted to using a flypress, that messed up the steel and distorted it which lead to that being scrapped. Ordered a replacement from Spedeworth Fabrications (known for national hot rods) but that turned up with the wrong angle on it, 15 degrees out. Apparently a design change due to clearance issues on the latest 2.0 hot rods. Anyway a trip up there yesterday afternoon I managed to swap it for an old stock one. So that part of the build will be back on once I get a decent weather window, that could be 2020! Spedeworths have some kit up there, machine shop, CNC, and a chassis build, quality stuff.

p_b82 14-10-19 10:16 AM

Pity that you hit that hiccup - by the sound of it one of those annoying things.

Weather's not been great so not surprised it's a pause for now!

stamford 27-04-20 05:46 PM

Furlough has meant some days spent working on the zed.
  • Rear suspension rebuilt with new bushes and paint, refitted.
  • Replacement rear ARB hangers fitted.
  • Rear brakes rebuilt.
  • Front brakes refitted.
  • All four wheels back on and on the ground.
  • Interior cleaned, stripped of sound deadening and painted.

Today I started stripping the top of the engine in readiness for the cambelt service and possibly fit the Piper Cams. Found a water leak so good job!