theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Very little heat in the cabin, need help!! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=30445)

wu11ie 29-12-15 01:17 AM

Very little heat in the cabin, need help!!

Hi folks,

I recently bought an MG ZS with the 1.6 engine but the heater isn't really that warm, I'm assuming the thermostat is stuck as there is a little heat but nowhere near what it should be.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing it?

The temp gauge sits just under half way during normal driving, but there is only a slight heat coming from the vents, the blower works fine on all settings but there's no real heat?,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,

Wullie.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

talkingcars 29-12-15 09:19 AM

Is the car a mk1 or a mk2?
Does it have A/C or climate or regular heating?

LukeZS96 29-12-15 10:04 AM

If the car has normal heating and not climate control then my money would be on the cable that runs down the back of the centre console, shine a torch in from the drivers foot well and there will be a black and blue cable, blue is for direction and black is temp. Just shine a torch in and get someone to operate the temperature control and see if the cable moves

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk

wu11ie 29-12-15 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366483)
Is the car a mk1 or a mk2?
Does it have A/C or climate or regular heating?

It's an 04 so I'm assuming mk2?, with just regular heating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeZS96 (Post 366488)
If the car has normal heating and not climate control then my money would be on the cable that runs down the back of the centre console, shine a torch in from the drivers foot well and there will be a black and blue cable, blue is for direction and black is temp. Just shine a torch in and get someone to operate the temperature control and see if the cable moves

Brilliant mate I'll try that, hopefully it's as easy a fix as this, that would be awesome!

wu11ie 29-12-15 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeZS96 (Post 366488)

Tried this and the cable is moving back and forward when I turn the temp up and down so I don't think it's that, any other suggestions?

talkingcars 29-12-15 07:01 PM

IIRC the actual valve to control the flow of hot coolant is in the engine bay, behind the engine, low down on the bulkhead.

wu11ie 30-12-15 03:24 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!! lol

I removed the cable and adjusted the heater manually under the dash and it's now extremely hot!!, I'm assuming the cable has stretched so it's not fully opening,

Now I just need to replace the cable or come up with a fix, in all honesty I don't care I'm just happy I now have heat!!! Lol

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated :)

petet16 30-12-15 06:40 PM

Was the outer case of the cable clipped into place correctly, I'd be very surprised if you'd managed to stretch the cable

wu11ie 30-12-15 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 366543)
Was the outer case of the cable clipped into place correctly, I'd be very surprised if you'd managed to stretch the cable

No, the cable was attached at both ends but it wasn't secured to anything.

Stephen 30-12-15 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wu11ie (Post 366555)
No, the cable was attached at both ends but it wasn't secured to anything.

As I suspected,

There's is a mounting place where the cable slots into to ensure the outer part doesn't move.

Il try find a link to what you need in the morning