theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Non starter (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=23608)

welshone 06-12-12 08:35 PM

Non starter

Tried to start the car this morning and it wouldn't. All dash lights came on and all other lights worked but no engine.

Got home from work and tried again and it fired first time.

It was very cold this morning it was reading -5 in Mrs Welshones 307.

So my question is what could freeze to stop the car from starting?????

petet16 06-12-12 08:50 PM

Did it turn over, or did you get the solenoid clicking.

welshone 06-12-12 09:17 PM

got nothing just the lights on the dash. Did hear the fuel pump prime.

Dave 06-12-12 10:46 PM

Check the small spade connector on the starter motor, probably a bad contact.

Cheers
Dave

Dan1971 07-12-12 06:19 AM

Mine too yesterday .... Went to take it out just to give it a run. Haven't driven it for a couple of weeks and when I have done, it's just been for a couple of miles. This was after some snow and a couple of very cold nights ...

Click click click ..... Starter or battery ? Read up on it a bit yesterday and I'm hoping that the battery is flat and the clicking is the starter trying, but the battery doesn't have the power to turn the crank .... or so it said .... I have noticed that it was a little slower turning over the last few times ....

stamford 07-12-12 06:56 AM

Most likely the starter solenoid spade connection, if the battery was dying then it wouldn't have started later in the day.

Dan, it could well be the battery for you as this cold weather will show up batteries that are on their last legs. Give it an overnight charge so it is full, then see how this fares over the coming weeks, if it drops again then it'll need changing.

carmadbaker 07-12-12 07:11 AM

I would go with Mick and say battery failing. They really dont deal with the cold that well!

ZS 07-12-12 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 285970)
...see how this fares over the coming weeks, if it drops again then it'll need changing.

Next week will be the tester! Apparently we on the south coast are looking at a cold snap of temperatures around -15 Degrees Centigrade next week! I'd hate to see how cold the people up north are going to get...

Dan1971 07-12-12 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 285970)
Most likely the starter solenoid spade connection, if the battery was dying then it wouldn't have started later in the day.

Give it an overnight charge so it is full, then see how this fares over the coming weeks, if it drops again then it'll need changing.

Ta ... Ain't got a charger and they are £25 in Halfords. Just had a butchers on the bay of E and a new battery with 4 yr guarantee - plenty for me ;) - is only £45. I can see where this is going already .... Jump start this morning when it stops raining to see if it's the battery, then an order later if it is. Cheers ..... And sorry for the hijack .....

Nobrainer 07-12-12 08:28 AM

I'll preempt the which battery questions www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=23020&highlight=battery