theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Rattles and other noises!! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22153)

drewesq 31-07-12 07:50 AM

Rattles and other noises!!

I spent many hours on my last car trying to trace various annoying noises and rattles with varying degrees of success, but mostly good!

My new MG ZS seems to be okay, but there is a but of a bump from the back when going over rough road - I suspect it is the parcel shelf and will test by taking it out. Has anyone else had this?

Maybe whoever reads this can say what they have done to resolve similar rattles and noises and we might get a good list together (if there isn't one already)?

I also think my tappets need changing....!

Drewesq :greedy:

Enright 31-07-12 08:19 AM

I find emptying the boot of all tools, and stuff that's strayed into the spare wheel well is a good start (which I keep being reminded of as I go over a certain speed bump on my way to work)! :D

stamford 31-07-12 08:34 AM

Wheel well is a good place to start, is the wheel bolted down?

drewesq 31-07-12 11:19 AM

OK, thanks guys. I'll check them out later...

Was just wondering if there was like 'common' rattles or noises that people have located and fixed??

Enright 31-07-12 01:36 PM

A common one appears to be the gearknob, and fixes range from the dangerously temporary (gaffer tape) to the dangerously permanent (araldite).
I'm not sure which to recommend as I don't know whether I'd rather be able to pull my knob off at the slightest provocation (missus) or have it stuck fast forever.

ZS 31-07-12 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enright (Post 265708)
A common one appears to be the gearknob, and fixes range from the dangerously temporary (gaffer tape) to the dangerously permanent (araldite).
I'm not sure which to recommend as I don't know whether I'd rather be able to pull my knob off at the slightest provocation (missus) or have it stuck fast forever.

Mine is currently attached via gorilla tape and gorilla glue... I know its only temporary, but after I whacked myself in the eye with it (yes... my knob gave me a black eye) I decided better safe than sorry... I am considering drilling and tapping a small hole through the bottom of the knob and then using a small grub(?) screw to perminently affix the knob to the lever, but still be able to remove it if necessary....

WalkerDnB 31-07-12 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enright (Post 265708)

tiger seal is best for that job :) in fact I'll use tiger seal for anything lol

petet16 31-07-12 02:23 PM

I'd rather my knob didn't come off, but it would grant some serious bragging rights getting a black eye of your own knob:-D

oh gear knob:whistle:

pheelay 31-07-12 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewesq (Post 265650)
but there is a but of a bump from the back when going over rough road ...

exhaust hitting the mounting?

andy-81 31-07-12 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 265715)
I'd rather my knob didn't come off, but it would grant some serious bragging rights getting a black eye of your own knob:-D

oh gear knob:whistle:

lol i cracked myself in the chin when i pulled my knob off i had 2 stitches and a scar to prove it!