theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The MOT thread (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19848)

tcb 180 06-06-13 04:08 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah prefer to do my own work tbh.

MG 53 ZED 31-08-13 04:11 AM

My Zed passed her mot yesterday with flying colours and no advisories, on a negative note though my air con has stopped working (think i have a leak) and may have problem with my gearbox still i am happy she passed her mot:thumbsup:

Dan1971 31-08-13 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG 53 ZED (Post 319057)
My Zed passed her mot yesterday with flying colours and no advisories, on a negative note though my air con has stopped working (think i have a leak) and may have problem with my gearbox still i am happy she passed her mot:thumbsup:

Congrats.

My A/C is still in the car and all good if you need something.

peterzs 31-08-13 07:54 AM

Well done Hamish, changed my clutch at 75.000, started getting a bit stiff to get into 1st.

Certainly made it feel better, dont forget to check for a seized, clutch arm, if you get it done.

My a/c works but not as cold as it was, had it re-gassed 4 years ago, so cant complain.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jason04r 31-08-13 09:06 AM

I'm going to explain the MOT process in Spain - Took my Astra yesterday

Get to the main MOT center , its a big warehouse with 5 lanes ( extra 2 for artics ). Go into the office and provide them with the car papers , pay 38 euros and your given a lane number.

Wait for the lane number to appear on the massive LED screen outside. Go to the lane number and your greeted by a unhappy Spaniard.

1st- oil check and fluids.
2nd- lights , indicators ,full beam , light alignment.
3rd - Check the chassis number matches ( under the passengers plastic door thing )
4th - Rear lights , indicators , brake lights , reverse light.
5th - Seatbelt check all round
6th - drive into a metal grid where they basically bounce the car up and down and side to side to check the front and rear suspensions okay
7th - rolling road to check brakes , handbrake
8th- emissions test - rev to 2000RPM
9th - Drive out - this takes less than 10 minutes! wait for the person to arrive back with the papers and a new ITV ( MOT ) sticker to place in the front window

pucc 02-09-13 01:32 PM

Mot

Took the Mrs for her yearly MOT, as I expected there were no problems.
I got one advisory for a little extra travel in the hand break. All sorted now.

MG 53 ZED 02-09-13 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 319061)
Congrats.

My A/C is still in the car and all good if you need something.

Cheers Dan but i probably will not get it sorted untill next year as there are a few other jobs i want to get done on the Zed 1st.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 319064)
Well done Hamish, changed my clutch at 75.000, started getting a bit stiff to get into 1st.

Certainly made it feel better, dont forget to check for a seized, clutch arm, if you get it done.

My a/c works but not as cold as it was, had it re-gassed 4 years ago, so cant complain.

Cheers Pete it's only when i have been driving the car for more than 45 minutes or it is a hot day i have to use a little bit of force to get her in gear. According to the paper work i have the clutch was replaced in 2010 so that should be ok. I had the A/C re-gassed about two months ago worked great for a couple of weeks then stoped putting out cold air so most likely is a leak somewhere?.

Ant_ZS180 05-09-13 10:37 AM

Took the zed for its mot today and it sailed through with only one advisory on a worn inner front tyre, happy days! All the recent expense and effort was worthwhile

peterzs 05-09-13 11:08 AM

Well done.

Put two Hankooks on the front, had a 4 way alignment check, after getting it back to the o/e settings, the guy said it would wear the front two inner shoulders. Due to the factory set up!!!

So maybe a front to rear swap at some time to lessen the wear.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :hooray::hooray::hooray:

peterzs 12-09-13 04:44 PM

Thats my one done and dusted.

I use Halfords Autocentres, I know a lot dont rate them, but I never have any probs.

Only thing you have to watch is that they emailed me a reminder, and offered a special price of £35. But I know if you go online you get it for 1/2 price, so booked in for £27.42.

On the day, they reckoned the o/s/r number plate bulb was out, issued a fail and fitted a new one and issued a pass. £10 extra so they got £37.42 in the end, but I was happy at that.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Maxfly 12-09-13 07:41 PM

Nice one Peter, another quality year on the road! Am always wary of the bulb that suddenly goes pop at an MOT but hey still a good price!

petet16 18-09-13 01:51 PM

We have a pass, after a tank of fresh fuel and a spirited blast along the M4, next stop Pro Speed for the exhaust.

POMPSKI 18-09-13 01:53 PM

Mine passed a couple of weeks ago, no advisories either :D

peterzs 18-09-13 02:43 PM

They are underrated cars.

Less we all look after them well!!!

:beer2::beer2::beer2::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ian zs180 18-09-13 04:12 PM

Mine is in this Saturday fingers crossed it goes though ok

Craig-ZS180 18-09-13 04:52 PM

Mine passed on Monday with flying colours. Even with the decat and over fuelling issue I currently have straight through the emissions and even given a "this is one of the nicest I've seen" comments from the tester that generally dislikes mg rovers.

1 less thing to worry about for now :)

peterzs 18-09-13 05:37 PM

Good luck Ian, and well done Craig.

Think the testers can see we do look after them.

:yes::yes::yes:

M17TT180 20-09-13 07:29 PM

Well MOT tomorrow *fingers crossed*

Gotta get them to sort the squeaky brakes and whatever the unnerving loose metal sound is whenever the front offside wheel hits a bump.

Full service too.

peterzs 20-09-13 07:38 PM

Good Luck.

:beer:

M17TT180 20-09-13 07:46 PM

Thankyou muchly

ian zs180 21-09-13 09:42 AM

Well my zed flew though the mot this morning and no advisorys so I,m a happy bunny I do love my zs :hooray:

petet16 21-09-13 09:43 AM

Nice one :thumbsup:

peterzs 21-09-13 10:16 AM

Well done, another years fun!!!

:rambo::rambo::rambo:

M17TT180 21-09-13 11:37 AM

Well she passed with almost flying colours, pin hole in cv gaitor.

petet16 21-09-13 11:39 AM

Good news, it'd be worth replacing the gaiter before the pin hole turns into a tear.

peterzs 21-09-13 01:09 PM

well done, see you tomorrow.

daytona365 28-09-13 05:21 PM

Mine done today...........Passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only advisories was both front tyres, as they getting a bit worn. Thats what comes of those track days!

peterzs 28-09-13 06:20 PM

well done.

:happy2::happy2::happy2:

Maxfly 15-02-14 07:24 PM

We'll an MOT failure today, but not on the ZS. Second year on the trot Claire's 08 Astra has failed, 2 broken springs this year front and a rear one. Had just done the front brakes and popped on fresh tyres too. Can't remember any fails on my Zeds yet, an inkling there may have been one but not sure.

petet16 15-02-14 07:43 PM

Some cars seem more prone to broken springs, no idea why.

peterzs 15-02-14 08:06 PM

With the potholes turning into craters, its a wonder not all the springs are busted.

ZS's do have a good record at getting through.

Hope we dont start to see corrosion problems on the chassis, first thing I did, when they were doing a new s/s exhaust, was to put some underseal on.

Maxfly 15-02-14 08:14 PM

Aye the astra seems to be one of those that likes springs pete. Claire wants an Audi A1 now but that's just not going to happen lol, told here we wouldn't be skint if her car wouldn't continually fail its MOT ;)

Potholes certainly don't help lol.
Planning to get wire brush and drill out this year and strip back any surface rust on the grey ZS and slap on the underseal, the last two ZS's always got commented on how clean they were underneath so hoping to continue that trend, plan on firing waxoil into all nooks crannies etc too.

petet16 15-02-14 08:22 PM

Forward ends of the chassis legs in the engine bay, be wary of any bubbled paintwork around the seams in this area, they may turn into holes.

Maxfly 15-02-14 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 332354)
Forward ends of the chassis legs in the engine bay, be wary of any bubbled paintwork around the seams in this area, they may turn into holes.

Cheers pete, the o/s leg gets a fine oily coating from catch tank so hoping it will be good. Will pay close attention though. Thanks!

peterzs 15-02-14 08:43 PM

also heard that the top of the fuel tank can suffer!!!

petet16 15-02-14 08:55 PM

I unloaded about half a litre of wax onto the top of the tank, hopefully it will make it last a bit longer.

peterzs 16-02-14 08:51 AM

or cave in. :-)

Only joking!!

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Maxfly 16-02-14 09:35 AM

The top of the original tank from my ZS is rusty but all surface rust and generally isn't too bad. I was told that they mainly go round the seam, I can't remember whit told me this but it was a garage done about Motherwell....narrows it down lol. A rover 400 tank could be a good bet, they are very well protected all over.

Ritchy 16-02-14 09:41 AM

Mine passed wednesday with the strictest tester in the west of scotland

Maxfly 16-02-14 11:12 PM

Excellent Ritchy, has done well your ZS although pretty sure the owner is big part. Will be a good buy when you do eventually sell her to take on jap reliability full time :( ;)